• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guam

When I popped Guam into the sarch function here at eGullet, I got a couple hits but they were all (by different people) referring to how bad food on Guam is.

If all go as planned we will be there this winter for a week.

Anything to look forward too?

We will have 3 kids under 10, so anything fancy is going to be out of the question.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Some American friends and I visited Guam for Christmas once when I lived in Saga-ken. It was a loooong time ago (about 12 years! :shock: ) so it may be very different now.

I'm afraid I have no particular delights to report (apart from cocktails by the pool!). Mostly it was American fast food chains thanks to all the American servicemen based there with their families - pizzas & bugers - but we had no complaints about that since we were very young, it was years before any of the big chains had really made inroads in Kyushu & we wanted us some FUN FOOD after months & months of Japanese food. (Like I said, we were young!) For Christmas lunch we bought a packet of turkey slices, some fresh bread and a bottle of champagne and had a picnic on the beach - classy huh?

There were also LOTS of Japanese places to eat, from swanky to mom&pop ramen shops. In fact, it's quite hard to get a taxi driver to take you downtown to find out where the locals eat - if you stay in a Japanese hotel (as we did) the drivers automatically take you to the shopping/dining malls aimed directly at Japanese holiday makers with lots of cash spare, so you have to be insistent or get a bus. We did find a couple of fun bars that locals went to where there was lovely food (again burgers, fries, tex-mex, HUGE portions when you're used to Japanese style) and bands playing, but I guess that won't be what you're looking for with three children.

I've probably not been a huge help, but I hope you have a lovely time!

Oh yes, did I mention the cocktails?! :raz:

after doing a lot of internet searching food in Guam seems to consist of Tony Roma's, TGIFriday's and McDonalds.... :hmmm:

I glad I found this out before I booked the trip, I ahve now spent the past 2 hours researching Bali instead! :biggrin:

My brother has spent a fair amount of time in Guam recently, and he suggests the following:

Siam or Marian's Trench (sp?) for Thai, and the Jamaican Grill. Knowing him, they'll fit your casual, not too expensive bill and have good food to boot.

Its interesting (and underscores the food issue) that you refer to a thai restaurant and (presumably) a jamaican or carribean restaurant on Guam as recommendations.

Anyways, Guam food is so bastardized, you'll only get good authentic eats at home (or at a party).

I've been to Guam. I've already mentioned how bad the is there. Can you imagine that food the is worse in Saipan? But Saipain has some spectactular scenery which Guam does not. The ocean changes color 7 or so times a day, you can visit the lagoon from the movie Papillon, you'll have to hire a tour guide (I recall it was $50.00 or something like that) to take you into the "jungle" it's totally worthwhile.

So why not Saipan? That was our island of choice when we were living in Korea. The fresh tuna is great, pack your own lemon, soy sauce, wasabi though.

• 4 weeks later...

I realize you've selected Bali instead of Guam but in case anyone else is planning to be there, it might be helpful to know that there is actually a lot of excellent food on Guam. On an island of less than 150K people there are nearly 600 restaurants - not all of them could possibly be bad and I can assure you that the number of good ones is far greater than you'd expect.

The best Thai, Vietnamese, Korean and Filipino food I've had outside of those countries themselves can be found there as well as a great French/Spanish country-style place and a couple of excellent contemporary bistros. There is even an excellent Indian restaurant which is fairly new on the scene. I presume that much of the negative comments stem from people who were on Guam for short periods of time or who didn't get out of the tourist area.

Thai: Thai Kitchen, Sabai Dee Thai and Ban Thai

Vietnamese: Mary's

Korean: Korea Palace and Jin Mi

Filipino: Mabuhay and Nayon Turo-Turo

Contemporary: Firefly Bistro, Old Hagatna Grill

French/Spanish: Le Tasi Bistro

Mexican: Carmen's (she is from Sonora so the cuisine is Northern)

Chamorro: Y Kuisina

Indian: Curry Kebab

Here is the link to a food website which is targeted at the local Guam consumer Guam Diner with an up to date restaurant directory plus reviews, etc.

Of course, if you can get yourself invited to a local fiesta or family celebration - you'll really eat well!

Edited, as usual, for bad grammar. :shock:

Edited by glossyp (log)

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

glossyp, Thank you for the information.

It turns out that in addition to 10 days on Bali :biggrin: we are going to have one whole day on Guam as well. So we need to find places for at least two meals (breakafast and lunch).

lots of Indians on guam from what i understand - surely there's soem good indian diaspora food there.

if i recall correctly String Hoppers (sri lankan bread thingie) should be available.

lots of Indians on guam from what i understand - surely there's soem good indian diaspora food there.

if i recall correctly String Hoppers (sri lankan bread thingie) should be available.

Interestingly enough there is quite a large community and a temple but it wasn't until an Indian chef who was working at one of the many hotels on island decided to stay on Guam that an Indian restaurant opened. The Indians on island are business owners and none of them had an interest in opening an Indian restaurant - they would just eat at home. There is a small but excellent grocery store (Nuts & Grains) where you can buy or order anything you need to make Indian food at home. One brief attempt to open an Indian restaurant in the eighties, complete with Tandoor, etc. closed quickly when the necessary immigration papers for the cooks, etc. were not forthcoming.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.