• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken Backs?

lesfen

Glad to see this includes the discussion of the Barberton Chicken. I almost ignored this thread, thinking it couldn't be about the chicken served in the area where I grew up (from restaurants Hopocan Garden and Belgrade Garden), but that's immediately what I thought of. Now, it should be noted that the backs are cut pretty wide, and they have a lot more meat than you'd think. I agree that it's the best piece out of the whole bird.

Damn, now I have a craving.

• 3 weeks later...
Glad to see this includes the discussion of the Barberton Chicken. I almost ignored this thread, thinking it couldn't be about the chicken served in the area where I grew up (from restaurants Hopocan Garden and Belgrade Garden), but that's immediately what I thought of. Now, it should be noted that the backs are cut pretty wide, and they have a lot more meat than you'd think. I agree that it's the best piece out of the whole bird.

Damn, now I have a craving.

True Confessions Time:

I usually buy my chickens whole and cut them up. I ALWAYS cut up my chicken so that I have a chicken back to fry. It's one of the best parts of the chicken. I eat all parts of the chicken--I've even eaten chicken feet--but I really like chicken backs. Fried Southern style in a cast iron skillet.

However, my confession is that when I cut up the chicken, I include BOTH of "oysters" in the back piece instead of leaving the oysters on the thighs which of course I always reserve for myself.

Evil, devious bitch I am.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Personally I prefer the chicken thumbs. You know, the little nubs on the wing tips.

Lambfries,

You stumped me there for a moment and then I realized what part you were talking about. I'm definitely with you on that. That's an even more luscious part on a turkey wing; I oven roast mine with vegetables and make a mushroom gravy with the drippings. I guess no bird is safe from us! :laugh:

My mom had us both beat though when it came to enjoying every part of the chicken--she actually used to crunch the chicken bones and suck out the marrow. Drove me crazy then, but with Mother's day coming up and her long gone a really sweet memory now.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My mom had us both beat though when it came to enjoying every part of the chicken--she actually used to crunch the chicken bones and suck out the marrow.  Drove me crazy then, but with Mother's day coming up and her long gone a really sweet memory now.

My grandmother used to do the same thing. She was a true carnivore, God bless her. As kids, we used to go nuts. "Aaaahhh!! Gramma!! EWWWWW!!! (exaggerated gags)" Every Thanksgiving my siblings and I have a good laugh at those memories.

Edited by lesfen (log)

and le's not forget the tail. i thought it was an unsophisticated part of the chicken so i always ate it in secret. but when i saw my teacher at school go for it, i'm now out of the closet.

bork bork bork