• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Slumming It": Chinese Buffets in New Jersey?

richardv

Richardv,

You posted:

"Incidentally, are there non-Chinese buffets in Jersey, like you find in the south? (I may be thinking heavily of Orlando.) I'm sure she would love those, but I've never heard her mention them at all, and I've never seen any either"

You are probably talking about places like th Golden Corral - they have a lot of them in the South although my favorite is in Burlington, North Carolina. Most of the ones in the South have steak buffets. I don't know of anyplace in Jersey that has a steak buffet like a Golden Corral but Jersey does have very similar buffets. Not exactly in the areas you mentioned, but there is one on Route 22 in Blue Star Shopping Center in Watchung, Old Country Buffet I think. There is also an Old Country on Route 35, not sure of the town but its near Sayerville or Old Bridge, and there is also one on Route 1 near Edison, New Brunswick area.

I don't know, because I've never seen or been to a Ponderosa. I peeked at a Sizzler once out of curiosity because I walked by it, and I certainly would never eat there myself! Is Ponderosa different? Is it the case that there's an extended salad bar buffet that accompanies whatever meal you buy?

Many (many) years ago while in Orlando, I found the dining just dismal - in those days, what was local "upscale" cuisine was just horrible. One night in desperation I gave up (even though I was on an expense account) and went to the Golden Corral right near my hotel, and they were having prime rib that night that was perfectly good, and of course, there was a lot of green salad from the salad bar, and although I didn't eat most of what they offered on the buffet, I actually had one of the best meals I had had in Orlando at that point, although I've never been to a Golden Corral since.

And also many years ago, in Mobile, Alabama, they insisted that I try a place called Barnhills Buffet, which is now a regional chain, I see. The food quality there was actually very good, and again though I didn't eat most of the things, between the baked catfish and the salad, I had a better meal than most others I had been finding.

So those were the kind of places I was asking about.

Edited by richardv (log)

While we're on this, and since I was just in Jersey City and Bayonne recently, what can any of you tell me about the following:

Fun Buffet on 440 near the former Roosevelt Stadium (now the Kevork Hovnanian development Society Hill)

Jersey Buffet at the Martin Luther King Plaza (right next to the light rail)

King Plaza Buffet on the JC/Union City border

and, is or isn't there a storefront buffet in Bayonne somewhere?

Edited by all-u-care-2 (log)

BOB

While we're on this, and since I was just in Jersey City and Bayonne recently, what can any of you tell me about the following:

Fun Buffet on 440 near the former Roosevelt Stadium (now the Kevork Hovnanian development Society Hill)

Jersey Buffet at the Martin Luther King Plaza (right next to the light rail)

King Plaza Buffet on the JC/Union City border

and, is or isn't there a storefront buffet in Bayonne somewhere?

I pass the King Plaza buffet regularly on my way home, and peeked in once out of curiosity after somebody told me about it. It is the lowest-end, most disgusting looking food establishment I've ever seen. It was partly Chinese food (I guess that's what it was supposed to be) and the rest Spanish food - all of it really cheap and dingy and old looking. (And the place is none too clean looking or appealing.)

But that's not really surprising at all considering the neighborhood.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I pass the King Plaza buffet regularly on my way home, and peeked in once out of curiosity after somebody told me about it.  It is the lowest-end, most disgusting looking food establishment I've ever seen.  It was partly Chinese food (I guess that's what it was supposed to be) and the rest Spanish food - all of it really cheap and dingy and old looking.  (And the place is none too clean looking or appealing.) 

But that's not really surprising at all considering the neighborhood.

I just looked at my post again and noticed the words "King Plaza" occur twice, which (I thought) might lead to confusion when someone replies...

I'm guessing you're referring to the one "on the border", 'cuz the other one (the only one I've gotten close to, given its easy accessibility on transit) tends to keep its blinds shut, which doesn't always imply anything about the food...

Those guys at the border one have a better model to work from in Hudson Buffet (the sign above says "Buffet Hudson") farther north in North Bergen on the Kennedy just off 495...well maintained, and staff sharply dressed and attentive.

Edited by all-u-care-2 (log)

BOB