• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Flora-bama will survive

joiei

I found this link in the Birmingham paper about the flora-bama in its second life. For fans, take heart, you can still toss mullet later this month down on the beach. And if you have never done such a thing, you life is just not complete.

edited to add that you will have to do a quick sign on to that papers site. It is not that bad.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Awwwww......

It's one of those nights. My son who has been in Pensacola for the past three years or so is here. This is the icing on the sentimental cake.

Thanks, Joiei, for the update.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Ahhh....Flora-Bama. My one and only visit was occured while visiting Pensacola for a friend's wedding. We stayed in a condo on the beach.

If you could replicate every southern redneck cliche, and put them in 1 place, I bet the place would look a lot like Flora-Bama.

A drunk was being tossed out as we were walking in. There was a metal detector at the front door and a large display of confiscated metal objects... The band played inside of a chicken wire cage. I witnessed a mother and daughter combo display and compare tatoos with a guy they were both hitting on. And PBR in a can for $1 !

They just don't make 'em like that anymore !

Best,

Ross

• 2 weeks later...
from Jimmy Buffet's Ragtop Day:

Come on over here baby, get in this car, we'll cruise on down to the Gulf, & listen to some Western music, get us a cool one at the Flor-a-Bama, yeah... :cool:

Jimmy knows, he spent some time in Gulf Shores.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

from Jimmy Buffet's Ragtop Day:

Come on over here baby, get in this car, we'll cruise on down to the Gulf, & listen to some Western music, get us a cool one at the Flor-a-Bama, yeah... :cool:

Jimmy knows, he spent some time in Gulf Shores.

He grew up in Mobile. So, either Gulf Shores or Dauphin Island was the beach to him growing up. His sister, Lulu, has a restaurant just down the road from the Florabama.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...