• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patricia Wells' Paris Food Guide

sharksoup

I'm headed for Paris in two weeks, and I keep seeing references to Patricia Wells' book Food Lovers Guide to Paris. But as best I can tell it was published in 1999, and I cannot find anything from her more current. Would you still recommend this, or is there a book more recent you'd recommend instead?

Thanks.

I'm headed for Paris in two weeks, and I keep seeing references to Patricia Wells' book Food Lovers Guide to Paris. But as best I can tell it was published in 1999, and I cannot find anything from her more current. Would you still recommend this, or is there a book more recent you'd recommend instead?

Thanks.

She also has a website, www.patriciawells.com, that provides annual listings for her favorite restaurants (2004 is most recent). There's nothing on the website about markets and shops, which is the value of the book, but at least it's a good start. You'll probably find a lot of the information you're looking for right here on eGullet, especially if you post specific questions to the forum. Have fun!

Meg Zimbeck, Paris by Mouth

The most up-to-date guide is the Time Out Guide to Eating and Dining, Paris (2005). They used to have an office in Paris, although they still seem to be present here by keeping their listings current. Although I don't often agree with their suggestions, it's best to use guidebooks as 'recommendations' and not as bibles. Time Out has a good variation of styles of places to eat, from Budget to Brasserie.

Another interesting book is Gourmet Paris by Emmanuel Rubin, which has listings based on dishes; Couscous, Coq au Vin, Frites, etc....I've actually gone to some of the places recommended and found the descriptions accurate.

David L.

Also, by the end of the month, the Zurban guide of restaurants, bistrots and wine bars will appear. It will have places that have opened this last year up to a few weeks ago, along with maps showing where each is in their arrondissement. Ironically, Zurban, which started off as a web-based publication, no longer posts the info on line.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I don't know Patricia well, but I've met Patricia Wells.

The Food Lover's Guide to Paris was never the consumate guide to restaurants in Paris. It's strengths were always in the other food information sections, much of which changes slowlier than restaurant information, but six years is a long time when you're dealing with a guide to a living culture and not to dead stone buildings. New shops arise and others go out of business. Is it a useful book? Probably, but some will contend that a patisserie list that doesn't mention Pierre Hermé might be enough to suggest it's useless. I don't think it will lead you astray as much as it will not necessarily lead you to the best there is today.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I know this is a divergence, but this thread lead me to think of the new book by Ruth Reichl Remembrance of Things Paris, an anthology of essays from Gourmet Magazine going back early in the century up to modern times covering all aspects of food life in Paris. A fascinating book, and a must read for all who frequent the Egullet France Forum.

That's a wonderful book that She edited. There's a book reviewed in Sunday's NY Times that SHE wrote, "Garlic and Sapphires." It's about her six-year tenure as The Time's restaurant critic. Not all liked her tactics. I await what the chefs here have to say after reading it.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher