• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portsmouth Hampshire!

Feel like im stuck in culinary waste land, just wondering if anyone knows any restaurants in and around portsmouth that i worth checking out. Have visited fat olives in emsworth and am planning to go to JSW in Petersfield soon! Also have heard rumours about a great japanese in Liphook??? Anyone know any thing!

Yes this is my first post 2 e-gullet son feeling a bit scared!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

As a native of Portsmouth, currently residing in exile in Brighton, I can only sympathise with your predicament. If you've been to Fat Olives then I'm sure you'll be aware that Michelin starred Ramon Fathing is plying his trade just a few steps away at 36 On The Quay. Chef Lee Williams at The Spread Eagle at Midhurst is doing some very interesting things these days (full review to follow soon).

As a twentysomething living in Southsea, one of my favourite restaurants at the time was Bistro Montparnasse which I'm delighted to see is still going and has a pretty interesting looking menu, especially for Pompey.

Other than that, I'd jump on a train to Waterloo and do some cheap lunches up town.

i was talking to a celebrity friend ( i had to edit it to 'celebrity friend as he threw a wobbly ;)) from southsea today (took him for lunch in fischers in baslow, derbyshire, but thats another thread....) he was bemoaning the lack of decent places to eat in pompey, so i said i would ask on here for him, now i dont have to!

Bistro Montparnasse was mentioned, and i'm afraid to say that last time my friend went there he was very disappointed, but it was a while ago, so hopefully it'll have changed, and i too look forward to reading your report...

Edited by fisherman (log)

Also have heard rumours about a great japanese in Liphook??? Anyone know any thing!

I think I know the Japanese restaurant you're talking about. It's actually on a golf course, and I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I was there a few times... but 5 years ago! I remember the sushi being good and they also had my favourite thing: shabu shabu.

In reply to fisherman. Has your friend tried the American Bar in Old Portsmouth i might be a bit biased as i work there but the food is very good. Also oddballs in osborn rd is good but heard rumours it is closing down (not sure if they are true). Other than that the only other places i have eaten a nice meal at is Wanted on osborn road and Tiger Tiger at gunworf but i didn't really warm to either of them being to exspensive for what it is really and not having a good atmosphere.

ps i'm investigating that Japanese restaurant will let you know as soon as i know anything else thanks for your post Corinna

In reply to fisherman. Has your friend tried the American Bar in Old Portsmouth i might be a bit biased as i work there but the food is very good. Also oddballs in osborn rd is good but heard rumours it is closing down (not sure if they are true). Other than that the only other places i have eaten a nice meal at is Wanted on osborn road and Tiger Tiger at gunworf but i didn't really warm to either of them being to exspensive for what it is really and not having a good atmosphere.

ps i'm investigating that Japanese restaurant will let you know as soon as i know anything else thanks for your post Corinna

The Japanese restaurant is called Nippon Kan at The Old Thorns Hotel- I have never eaten there but they are said to do good sushi and tepenyaki.

36 on the Quay in Emsworth and JSW in Petersfield are both a must- I've eaten at both - the lunch menu at JSW is a bargain , and the wine list biblical. 36 do a good gourmand "the little big one" and also have some lovely rooms to stay over in which overlook the Quay (funnily enough!!)

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

today is my birthday and i am in waterlooville, hampshire. ain't no place to eat, and without a car i am loathe to go too far in a cab to have a meal that i don't think will dazzle me.

any chance of being dazzled tonight in hampshire?

after all you only turn 21 once.

or twice, or 20 or so times.......

or should i just head up the hill to the discounting hour at waitrose, and go for the discounted fruit and veg. sounds good to me.....though i do have a longing for vietnamese food. carpaccio with chillies and thai basil. lime. ah well.........

x m

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Ok, Sorry this took a few days in coming been a bit busy at the moment.

We arrived at Bistro Montparnasse around 8 and chose a table in the empty restaurant. Menu's were given along with a blue cheese dip and olives. Both the olives and the dip were delicious the dip having a strong taste of Roquefort to it. We made our choices and awaited our starters with a bottle of Malbourough Sauvignon at a hefty £22. Our Starters arrived mine being a very nice terrine of smoke salmon on a slice of toasted brioche. My girlfreind had chosen the Bubble and Squeak Soup with Chedder biscuits and crisp bacon, both were very nice.

Our main courses were Ribeye Steak with a butternut squash stuffed mushroom & rump of lamb with mushy peas and roasted sweet peppers. Both were excellent although both of the sauces were a little bit sweet and sickly for my palate. The only minor critisism i could have is that along with the large mains sized portions came two huge sides of extra veg and potatoes which weren't really nessecery.

Deserts were raspberry mousse with mango compote and home-made icecream (chocolate, lemon meringue and butterscotch) in a brandy snap basket. Both were lovely. The bill came to £72 but the exspensive wine was a contributing factor to that. The only thing that may have let me down was the empty atmosphere we were only joined by about 3 other couples during the whole friday night. Would definatly reeturn to bistro montparnasse when my wallet has recovered!!!!!!

The restaurant is scandalously under-supported with just eight customers on a Friday night - any idea why that might be? From your description it sounds like they are serving decent food at reasonable prices. Was the service OK? How were the surroundings?

The service was good. The thing is the food is too exciting for portsmouth there just isn't the cliantel. If you check out the curry houses and american style diners they are packed on a friday night!! Sad isn't it!!! I know this from working in the american bar for 2 years and still i get asked for a plain steak with chips, well done!!! better stop before i get myself worked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I moved to Southsea in December, so I'm still finding my way around. There does seem to be a lack of fancy places.

The Jaipur on Albert Road in Southsea is good if you fancy a good quality Indian - not super fancy, but worth a visit.

I have also been recommended Rosies on Elm Grove, which is a Bistro type place. Not visited yet tho.

I ate at the Loch Fyne in Gunwharf two weeks ago. I was a few beers to the wind, but I had a good meal and would go back again.

Edited by fatmat (log)