• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Man. Machine. Magazine.

The set, I'm informed, went for about 500 bucks -- a bargain, and I hope an eGullet member got it.

Trip down memory lane: I found the copy of the first ever Crate and Barrel catalogue on the bookshelf today. I had a page to myself, employee model and spokesgrrl, mostly because the photograper had a thing for chicks with glasses. (If you don't already know never be immoratalized with your specs on---it dates you. God, I was 23)

But then I leafed throuigh the catalogue and checked the price of Cuiz One: $190.00. I paid $195.00 dollars for its replacement last Christmas. And, I'm talkin over twenty years later.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I would love to see that catalogue. What year was it? I was in the gourmet housewares business myself back in those days.

I won the entire set of the magazines. Such a deal! Of course they are in mint condition and I don't want to mess them up. There was a run on these on ebay and I managed to get some used ones too. I never bid on ebay before a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm hooked. I managed to get this Varco mincer I've been trying to get for years too.

My daughter got me a new Cuisinart for the holidays. My old one was about twenty-five years old. I have no idea how much she paid, but she said it was the largest model. I think it is smaller than the one I had.

The set, I'm informed, went for about 500 bucks -- a bargain, and I hope an eGullet member got it.

Trip down memory lane: I found the copy of the first ever Crate and Barrel catalogue on the bookshelf today. I had a page to myself, employee model and spokesgrrl, mostly because the photograper had a thing for chicks with glasses. (If you don't already know never be immoratalized with your specs on---it dates you. God, I was 23)

But then I leafed throuigh the catalogue and checked the price of Cuiz One: $190.00. I paid $195.00 dollars for its replacement last Christmas.  And, I'm talkin over twenty years later.

Brava, Ada -- you are now the go-to person for Pleasures of Cooking. I'm delighted we kept them in the family, as it were.

I don't know about copyright laws---this is a catalogue from the mid 70s. I am wearing a Marimekko tucked shirt and arranging flowers with the John Hancock Building in the background.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I wonder if the people at Crate and Barrel have a copy of that magazine. I know that when I called Cuisinart during my search for Pleasures of Cooking, they had no idea what I was talking about. I thought it was sad.

I think we have driven up the price of old copies of Pleasures. They are selling for a bundle on Ebay.

• 3 months later...

My first egullet post! I loved this article so much and I was inspired to search for some of the Pleasures of Cooking on ebay. I am proud to report that I got 6 issues for $21.51 including shipping!! I can't wait to get them. Maggie, I love reading your posts - finding egullet has been like finding 'my people'!

Kim, welcome to eGullet. I found "my people" here too -- lets hear lots more from you.

Thanks for your kind words, and congratulations on your eBay haul.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggie, I am now craving marshmallows at 7:00 AM. That's just not right. :blink:

Thank you so much for this culinary voyage, and for a look at what cooking used to mean in the pages of glossy magazines. That the set sold for such an amount proves that there are still plenty of serious cooks left, and it makes me want to dance a jig.

I bought my first Cuisinart a couple of years ago, and life has never been the same. Now, time to go conjure up some corn syrup...

:wub:

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)

• 1 month later...

Maggie, ever since you wrote this article there has been a run on The Pleasures of Cooking Magazine on Ebay. Anyone that is interested should probably get them now because they're really cheap. After some time, I'm sure they'll disappear again.

Maggie, ever since you wrote this article there has been a run on The Pleasures of Cooking Magazine on Ebay. Anyone that is interested should probably get them now because they're really cheap. After some time, I'm sure they'll disappear again.

Ada: Thanks for the heads up: I might check for the issues (a couple) I'm missing. Some smart publisher should reissue them in one form or another.

Are you enjoying your copies?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm so happy that I have them. I did buy more on Ebay at a fraction of the price, but they are not in mint condition (but very good). Since they came in batches, I have extras. If you let me know what issues you need, I may have them and would be happy to send them to you.

• 6 years later...

Hello there!

First of all, this is a fantastic article, and I was chuffed to read it when it came up in my google search.

Second, I was wondering if you could give me a bit of help. My mom subscribed to The Pleasures of Cooking, and many of her favorite recipes came from there. However, the basement recently flooded and took her magazine archive as casualties. Since no enterprising adolescent has made a torrent of the magazines (probably because the came out before he/she was born) I haven't been able to find the recipes.

She was planning to make the Scottish Broth (if that's what it was called - it might be "lamb broth") from Volume 4, #5, p27 (yes, she used it so much she even remembered the page number). If anyone has this issue, could you please give me the recipe? It would really make my mother's day.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hello there!

First of all, this is a fantastic article, and I was chuffed to read it when it came up in my google search.

Second, I was wondering if you could give me a bit of help. My mom subscribed to The Pleasures of Cooking, and many of her favorite recipes came from there. However, the basement recently flooded and took her magazine archive as casualties. Since no enterprising adolescent has made a torrent of the magazines (probably because the came out before he/she was born) I haven't been able to find the recipes.

She was planning to make the Scottish Broth (if that's what it was called - it might be "lamb broth") from Volume 4, #5, p27 (yes, she used it so much she even remembered the page number). If anyone has this issue, could you please give me the recipe? It would really make my mother's day.

Thank you.

I'll check out my stack; if I have it I'll send it to you.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 years later...

I've come to this discussion pretty late in the game, but wanted to add a few comments here.

First of all, I only have a partial collection of the Cusinart publication, _The Pleasures of Cooking_.  I also have (even fewer) of their earlier publication _Cooking_.  I believe that Barbara Kafka was the editor for the _Cooking_ publication.  Both are excellent publications that I would encourage people to watch for. I know I go back to them repeatedly.

About fifteen years ago I actually spoke w/someone involved with Cuisinart's website.  I told him that I thought Cusinart was missing a major bet by not taking all of the recipes/articles from these pubs and posting them on their website.  Rather like the Williams-Sonoma and King Arthur Flour sites, where I have gone to the trouble to create an id and have favorite recipes that I go back repeatedly.  And sometimes I purchase things while I'm there.  Cusinart could make this treasure available to a much broader audience.  And, based on when it was published, I'm willing to bet there are no restrictions on Cusinart as far as posting e-versions.  If anyone out there has ties to Cusinart, I hope you'll encourage them to consider this

I also recently acquired an outstanding sheet scanner which I've been using to beat down the depressing amount of accumulated paper that I have.  Best purchase I've made in a long time.  

For many magazines, it's a matter of finding the recipe/article that I kept the magazine for and scanning those few sheets.  For a few (very few) publications, I want to keep the whole magazine.  In those cases, I've also created an index in a spreadsheet.  This is what I've been doing with the Cusinart publications that I have.  

I'm finding that I am quite happy with electronic versions of magazines like Fine Cooking.  I purchased the Fine Cooking DVD with the first (100?) set of magazines in it.  It came with a search function.  I took almost all of my FC off to the Goodwill.  One DVD vs 2' of magazines was not a hard choice.  When one of my friends said she missed being able to lie in bed on a rainy day and go through a bunch of magazines, I handed her an ipad.

Using a laptop, tablet, or even many smart phones, it is now easy enough to take the device with you to use as you cook.  I learned that a gallon ziploc bag provides adequate protection for an ipad and gives you the additional benefit of being able to find obscure subsititutions (How may extra-large eggs = 4 large eggs kind of issues.)  

It also cuts down on the likelihood of my being buried under an avalanche of old magazines.

I can see that I got off course here. I apologize.  

1. Encourage Cusinart to post all of the articles & recipes from Cooking and The Pleasures of Cooking on their website.

2. Consider going digital w/your cookbooks.

anon,

rb

Long-time maker of jam

• 1 month later...

Are these the same as The Cuisinart Cook?  I still have a recipe from The Cuisinart Cook in my regular repertoire, even after all these years.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou