• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher deli/markets in Seattle?

Friends of mine are planning a seder in a couple of weeks and are looking for a good source for some prepared kosher foods. My friend mentioned matzoh ball soup, pickled beets, and decent kosher wine (if it exists) . . . Any recommendations for a good deli or market?

Friends of mine are planning a seder in a couple of weeks and are looking for a good source for some prepared kosher foods.  My friend mentioned matzoh ball soup, pickled beets, and decent kosher wine (if it exists) . . . Any recommendations for a good deli or market?

Susansea2003:

The best Supermarkets for "Passover Foods" in Seattle are:

"QFC" in Seward Park on Rainer Avenue

"QFC" in University Shopping Center

"Albertsons" on Mercer Island

Many other stores may have a few items, but the 3 stores mentioned have full Kosher Meat and Fish Departments with a large variety of merchandise.

I believe that all 3 are supervised by the "Seattle Vaad" for Kasheruth.

Irwin

Edited thanks to Michael [MGLloyd]: Vashon Island to Mercer Island

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Susansea2003:

"Albertsons" on Vashon Island

Many other stores may have a few items, but the 3 stores mentioned have full Kosher Meat and Fish Departments with a large variety of merchandise.

Irwin

I lived on Vashon for several years, and there is no Albertson's on the Island. There is Beck's and Thriftway. Thriftway is the larger of the two stores, but insofar as I recall, they don't have a Kosher meat or fish department; and I suspect there is not a large enough population on the Island keeping Kosher to support one.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Susansea2003:

"Albertsons" on Vashon Island

Irwin

I lived on Vashon for several years, and there is no Albertson's on the Island. There is Beck's and Thriftway. Thriftway is the larger of the two stores, but insofar as I recall, they don't have a Kosher meat or fish department; and I suspect there is not a large enough population on the Island keeping Kosher to support one.

WOW ! Michael, "Thank you" ! You are absolulely right.

I somehow wrote "Vashon Island" when I meant "Mercer Island" there is definitely a difference in the locations Vashon being in Puget Sound and Mercer located on Lake Washington between Bellevue and Seattle.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

The Vineyard wineshop in Greenwood carries kosher wines that are quite drinkable, not the nasty stuff we used to have to put up with...

There's a wonderful little deli down near Pike Place Market "kosher delight" that makes really good matzoh ball soup :wub:

also check out this link for additional Kosher shopping options.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...