• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods That Are Native to New England

Freshly caught blue fish cooked on hard wood charcoal grill with a touch of olive oil and a lot of garlic is a great dish. Dryed out in the freezer, it is bait.

In addition to Autocrat the other great RI coffee syrup is Eclipse.

Louis Lunch may be of historic interest and their cooking method is amusing, but the burger does not compare to Mr. Bartley's in Cambridge.

As for RI Jonnie Cakes (with various spellings) when I was a kid growing up in Providence there were two restaurants that regularly served them. Curiously both were in Massachusetts. One was the Old Grist Mill, just across the border in Seekonk. The other was the Publick Inn in Sturbridge. Both are still in business. A few years ago I called the Publick Inn (or perhaps House) and established that they were still being offered. I remembered them as supremely greasy, but they went down well with a quart of maple syrup.

Also don't forget Cape Cod potato chips.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

The other was the Publick Inn in Sturbridge.  Both are still in business.  A few years ago I called the Publick Inn (or perhaps House) and established that they were still being offered.  I remembered them as supremely greasy, but they went down well with a quart of maple syrup.

I think it is the Publick House. We will be heading up there for the Brimfield Flea Market next Fri ( weather permitting) and I hope to post some pics of the show and our on-sight tailgate lunch. I am still working on the menu.

Cheers,

HC

Must not be many native Mainers posting here, because we are nearly two complete pages into this thread with not a single mention of red hot dogs.

Unheard of, even in the Boston area, a friend of mine living down there will ocassionally buy a case to take home and freeze for those moments when he has a hankering for that distinctive *snap* when you bite into them.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Red hot dogs eh?

Are they like those pickled spicy ones?

Not pickled. Not spicy. A proper hot dog.

Only red.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken