• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tarte tatin for Passover

Dryden

This is hard to explain  :angry:

:biggrin:

I'm familiar with hard explanations. :laugh:

Technically, you would be able to use this flour, following the 18 minute rule if you could get your hands on it. But, it's generally not available anywhere.

Ok it's not available to the homecook.

Now, the question is can you make a shortcrust with cakemeal/potato starch?

Yes it is. Treat the meal or potato starch as flour, but differently. :laugh: So sorry! I can give a recipe tomorrow. But I need to get to bed now. Is that bad for me put out?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Can't you use a convection oven for baking?  That has to take less time than a regular oven, right?

There's always a microwave option too, or perhaps I'm completely bonkers.

Soba

I'd say just a little bonkers :wink:

Using flour to bake just isn't really an option

ok, perhaps not flour then. :wink:

are crepes acceptable? I was thinking something along the lines of caramelized apples inside crepes, with maybe a little flamed kosher Calvados (if such exists). call it a riff on a tarte tatin.

Soba

This is a good explanation of the laws/issues surrounding matzoh and its ingredients. The term "chazal" refers to the commentaries of pre-6th century rabbis. Otherwise, they pretty much translate everything.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Can't you use a convection oven for baking?  That has to take less time than a regular oven, right?

There's always a microwave option too, or perhaps I'm completely bonkers.

Soba

I'd say just a little bonkers :wink:

Using flour to bake just isn't really an option

ok, perhaps not flour then. :wink:

are crepes acceptable? I was thinking something along the lines of caramelized apples inside crepes, with maybe a little flamed kosher Calvados (if such exists). call it a riff on a tarte tatin.

Soba

Crepes would work. Here's a recipe adapted from Joan Nathan's The Jewish Holiday Kitchen

6 eggs

1 cup potato starch

2 cups water

oil for frying

Beat eggs well. Whisk in potato starch and water slowly. Batter should be pale yellow and foamy. Spread a light coat of oil over a small skillet (preferably non-stick) and heat over a medium flame. Pour batter to coat pan and pour out excess. When batter is dry flip onto plate (no need to cook on both sides). Continue until batter is used up.

There's also a recipe for Matzoh Apple Schalet if anyone is interested.

BTW, no kosher Calvados available.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Francois Payard's sweet tarte dough (the one with the confectioner's sugar) worked ok as a crust for me last year. I can't remember if I was just "settling." I did put the recipe in my save pile though..... I guess I'm already losing my mind. But you might not be looking for a sweet dough.

Forgot to mention that my substitution was to use cake meal in place of the flour.

jayne

Edited by jaynesb (log)