• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean

Just a note, this pide recipe is not the same as the pide that has a meat filling - this is the one that is like a rich bread.  You can see the finished product in an article I sent to http://www.bookofrai.com.  (October 27)

The dough for the filled pides (also known as "Karadeniz" (Black Sea) pide is more like a pizza dough.  They vary from place to place, some are even yeastless.  I'll get back with a couple.

Are you referring to the recipe I posted? The recipe I put in RecipeGullet is for plain and filled pide. I have made both with this recipe.

As for Borek dough, there are several different kinds of dough:

1. Some with flour, butter, egg and milk

2. Some with flour, water and eggs

3. Puff pastry

4. Filo pastry

5. Warka

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

What is warka? I've seen several references to it.

Yes people do make different sort of boreks/pide at home with a variety of fillings. The typical restaurant pide dough is basically like a bread dough with a bit of oil added (like a pizza dough), some of them are yeastless but that's variable.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

What is warka?  I've seen several references to it.

There is an explanation of warka here (in the section on brik pastry).

I used to be able to buy ready-made warka when I was living on the border to France and did quite a bit of my shopping over the border. Now that I can't get it any longer, I have substituted ready-made yufka for it. Not quite the same, but certainly less time-consuming than making warka oneself.

And briks - if you've never had them - are wonderful and are definitely worth making.