• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek restaurants

paca

Mokas, on Lancaster between 35th and 36th is there, and I've been wanting to try it.

Effie's is one of my favorites; with their rear courtyard, spring/summer dinner is great. Pine between 12th and 11th.

Zorba's, on Fairmount at 23rd (??) is good, but I do remember one dish being a little salty, and considering how much I like salty, that's a lot.

Overall, still well worth the price of admission.

I think the favorite Greek stuff in town is at the church festivals;

there's one at St. George's at about 8th and Locust, also one in Cherry Hill just off Haddonfield Road somewhere. KatieLoeb, SJ Epicurean, or Holly Moore will have to chime in with specifics.

Here is a thread on Greek festivals and one meal at St. George's in particular.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Lourdas in Bryn Mawr was supposed to be good, but I never made it there. And I second the recommendation for Effie's - always great, affordable food, good service and dining in the courtyard is fun and romantic.

The addition of Estia to the Greek resto scene here in Philly (on the site of the former Toto and opening sometime later this year) will be a welcome one. I've not been particularly impressed with the Greek cuisine here other than the Church Ladies at the annual festivals (at St. Georges and in Cherry Hill and Elkins Park), which are a pilgrimage that I look forward to each year. Athena Cafe, which is the best I've found, out in Glenside, has been the pinch go-to prior to seeing a show at the Keswick Theater. But not a place I'd be heading out of my way for otherwise.

There hasn't been any really high end quality Greek cuisine in Philly since Chef Theodore's closed forever ago.

I miss the scorch marks on the ceiling from the flaming cheese dish - "Saganaki Opa!" :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The addition of Estia to the Greek resto scene here in Philly (on the site of the former Toto and opening sometime later this year) will be a welcome one.  I've not been particularly impressed with the Greek cuisine here other than the Church Ladies at the annual festivals (at St. Georges and in Cherry Hill and Elkins Park), which are a pilgrimage that I look forward to each year.  Athena Cafe, which is the best I've found, out in Glenside, has been the pinch go-to prior to seeing a show at the Keswick Theater.  But not a place I'd be heading out of my way for otherwise.

There hasn't been any really high end quality Greek cuisine in Philly since Chef Theodore's closed forever ago. 

I miss the scorch marks on the ceiling from the flaming cheese dish - "Saganaki Opa!"  :sad:

Loved Chef Theodore's, and agree. Miss those flaming opas!

I will look forward to trying Estia when it opens.