• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four+ Hours at YVR

rlibkind

On Friday, June 24 my wife and I will have a four-hour, 25-minute (6:20p-10:45p) layover enroute from Anchorage back home to Philadelphia. Alas, we will not have time to enjoy Your Fair City as we did six or seven years ago during a more lengthy visit.

In the meantime, does anyone think it possible for us to exit the airport premises and take in some nearby worthwhile food? Keep in mind that being foreign nationals, the border bureaucracies will undoubtedly trim our usable time.

The Globe@YVR (Fairmount Airport restaurant) has already been recommended by Jaime, and remains a strong possibility, but I welcome other suggestions for the immediate vicinity of YVR.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Hmmm...As I recall, the airport in YVR is quite a drive from downtown and the waterfront and all of the restaurants that I would recommend. So if you're thinking of heading downtown, and you'd like to enjoy a leisurely meal with wine etc., I think I'd have to suggest you stick to the Globe@YVR. Unless someone can recommend a place near the airport that's great - I just don't know of anything in that environs.

There is decent Chinese food at the airport, on the International Departures level. (Linen tablecloth Chinese food, not food fair Chinese food.) I mean it's better than any airport food I've ever eaten anywhere, FWIW. Edited to add that it's at the Japanese restaurant, just to confuse the issue :laugh: I've only eaten dim sum there, is why I thought it was Chinese :blush:

Globe is honestly supposed to be very good, I'd have no qualms about eating there at all. Although you can get downtown in 20 minutes or less from the airport, I wouldn't want to risk a connection on traffic. I err on the side of caution, having missed a flight once :biggrin:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

As someone who flies between Vancouver and the U.S. all the time (twice this week, in fact), I wouldn't risk it.

First you have to go through Canada Customs, then if you leave the airport, you'll have to go back through U.S. Customs for your Philly connection ... and with the lineup I endured yesterday to clear Canada Customs (nearly an hour and a half), I would worry about the timing. Of course, sometimes you can sail right through Customs on both sides, but you never really know...

The most I would do would be Globe at the Fairmont ... and having eaten there three times, I can tell you that the food is indeed very very good. Being in a hotel, it won't really give you a "Vancouver experience," IMO, but you'll have a good meal.

Sorry, but I wouldn't risk leaving the airport, not even for Chinese in Richmond. There's always Tim Hortons (just kidding).

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I have to agree with Xando Head. Even eating at the Fairmont, or at the airport anywhere outside the US transit area, involves clearing Canada Customs into Canada, and pre-clearing US Customs to get back to your gate. I've had up to 1 hour waits at each, and that's not including the time many years ago when a uniformed psychotic at US Customs searched me and my luggage for an extra hour because I asked him to stop verbally abusing 2 confused senior citizens.

You can take a look at the line at Canada Customs on arrival before you decide. If it looks relatively short, and you already have a boarding pass for your flight out of Vancouver (so you don't have to wait in a check-in line) I think you could squeeze in a 1-hour meal at one of the less fancy Chinese restaurants on 3 Road in Richmond and still make it back to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

Conservative timing would be:

6:20: land Vancouver

7:00: be in taxi rolling to restaurant on 3 Road, Richmond.

7:20: arrive restaurant

8:25: rolling in taxi back to aiport

8:45 back at airport in US Customs line, with time to spare.

If you're not in a taxi by 7pm, I'd say forget it and stay at the airport. On the way back, get the restaurant to call you a taxi a few minutes before you need it so you can move fast.

Which restaurant on 3 Road? The popular and cheap Hon's Wun Tun (4600 3 Road, 604 273 0871) has reliable Cantonese food and is very fast. Ba Guo Bu Yi is a good bet for Sichuan (8130 Park, 604 273 8888) as long as you let them know you're in a hurry.

A non-Chinese option would be the Flying Beaver. It's more of a pub than a restaurant, but it does have a full menu and the location is right on the Fraser River with a great view. And it's very close to the airport, less than 10 minutes by taxi, so traffic is not an issue. http://www.markjamesgroup.com/restbrew/fly...yingbeaver.html

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I assume you are on the Air Canada flight that arrives in the evening hours. My guess is that your connection is also on Air Canada and going via Toronto, which is a domestic flight and will not require you to clear customs for the U.S. until you try to board your flight in Toronto for Philadelphia. But, you will be required to reclaim all of your baggage in Vancouver before clearing Canadian customs, and then reclaim it again in Toronto to clear U.S. customs.

That said, I think after clearing Canadian customs you should have enough time to hit Richmond and get some good chinese food before boarding the flight to Toronto. (You may even want to just change your flight to Toronto to the one that goes a bit later - there is another flight right before midnight usually.)

If you are on some other flight from Vancouver (???) that is U.S. bound immediately then you will probably be cutting it close since you have to clear U.S. customs in Vancouver.

Cheers!

I have to cast my vote for the Globe@YVR. I have eaten 2 dinners there in the last month while waiting to depart on overseas flights. The food is really quite good as is the wine list. In addition, the bar is also highly recommended. If you were going to be there in the afternoon I would also recommend that you consider the Spa facilities in the US departure area. I have had several treatments at the Absolute Spa while waiting for flights and I can tell you that it is the only way to deal with delays! I just checked and you will there in June so it will be light and the restaurant has a great view of the mountains - you will get to see dusk descend over the mountains while having good food and wine. Unbeatable combination in my opinion :biggrin:

Edited by Foodie in Vancouver (log)

Cheers,

Karole

Assuming that you do not have to struggle with Customs, I heartily endorse the suggestion that you go to Richmond (five minutes from the airport) for Chinese food. The Chinese food in Richmond is the best in the region (and maybe on the West Coast). If you do, suggest dim sum at Jade (assuming you are talking lunch) or San Sui Wah. If you are there @ dinner, go to San Sui Wah or the Kirin Richmond. In either case, make sure you have a live crab in salt and chile!

I assume you are on the Air Canada flight that arrives in the evening hours.  My guess is that your connection is also on Air Canada and going via Toronto, which is a domestic flight and will not require you to clear customs for the U.S. until you try to board your flight in Toronto for Philadelphia.  But, you will be required to reclaim all of your baggage in Vancouver before clearing Canadian customs, and then reclaim it again in Toronto to clear U.S. customs.

Your assumptions are correct. Although we won't have to pre-clear US customs and immigration at YVR (we will have that lovely experience at YYZ), we will have to re-check our baggage at YVR. Since dining at Globe@YVR entails leaving the security area, going to Richmond would only add travel time.

Does anyone know if there are decent places to eat and relax WITHIN the security zones at YVR? Or will I, of necessity, have to exit/re-enter security when I clear customs?

Robert's Market Report

The only quasi-decent thing I've ever seen to eat inside security is indifferent Triple O/White Spot...suggest you bite the bullet and go through security, and eat at Globe. Your sacrifice will be rewarded!

Edited to add this link to the YVR website, which gives you the skinny on all the food available.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Does anyone know if there are decent places to eat and relax WITHIN the security zones at YVR? Or will I, of necessity, have to exit/re-enter security when I clear customs?

Unless the procedure has changed recently you'll land at the U.S. terminal, go through Canadian immigration, pick up your checked bags, go through customs, recheck your bags (easy to do right after customs), then walk over to the domestic terminal (or take a slight detour by taxi to Richmond and then taxi back to the domestic terminal), clear airport security, fly to Toronto, reclaim your bags, drag your bags through U.S. immigration and customs, recheck your bags, and fly to Philadelphia.

So since you are heading out anyway, try Globe or one of the numerous good Chinese options in Richmond. By taxi Richmond is only 5-10 minutes away at that time of day.

Have fun!

There is a reason why I spend all that time in Air Canada's Maple Leaf lounge: within the security zones your choices boil down to White Spot (one with sports bar leanings) and Tim Hortons. You can certainly expand your options by also including the snack items sold at the newsstands. Outside, Hanami (the Japanese restaurant near the International gates) is okay if you want a quick bowl of noodles and the rest of the places are collectively a food court write-off.

I agree that you should just suck it up, exit the security zone and go have dinner at Globe@YVR. Four hours gives you just over 2 hours of leisurely dining before you have to go back through security and walk over to C39.

Oh - CATSA was "interesting" the last time I went through YVR. Your experience may vary.

Edit: let the staff at Globe know that you're catching the earlier of the two redeyes so that they're aware of your timeline. Service has slowed on occassion when the place has been busy.

Edited by wattacetti (log)

Thanks, everyone, for your swift and thoughtful responses.

We're a bit antsy about making connections, and we've got a double-connection for our ANC-PHL itinerary (why is another story, but let's just say that when I cashed in my frequent flyer miles for the Business Class flights the likelihood of my home carrier, US, being around six months later was remote, so going via a Star Alliance carrier other than US or UN seemed the better course). So, given this paranoia about missing connections, I don't think we'll venture to Richmond.

Assuming we're not too pooped from our three-week Alaska holiday, however, Globe@YVR sounds very attractive. If not there, well, my wife has a passion for chocolate frosted donuts, and she hears Tim Horton calling her.

We definitely intend to make a return trip to Vancouver in the next few years; our last visit in 1999, a five-day holiday for me as accompanying spouse and three-day working trip for her, left us with the clear impression that Your Fair City is a delightful place to live and eat.

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...

Just found this helpful guide through vancouverplus.ca:

Domestic Departures (Everybody)

* Milestone's Restaurant & Bar (L.3). Licensed, serving breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Watch aircraft.

* Cheers Bar & Lounge (L.3). Pub-style sit-down restaurant and lounge.

* Tim Hortons (L.3). Watch aircraft.

Domestic Departures (Post-security)

* Legends Bar & Grill (L.3). Full service restaurant and bar with soups, salads, and hamburgers.

* Green Bean Coffee Shop (L.3) Pier B. Sandwiches, Italian panini, salads, baked goods, wine and beer.

* Roasters (L.3) Pier B. Newsstand, bar, sandwiches, snacks.

Alternating Domestic or International Departures (Post-Security)

* Noodle Bar & Deli (L.3). Snacks, newsstand, Chinese and Japanese fast food.

Domestic Arrivals (Everybody)

* Stanley's Bar (L.2). Sports bar featuring a wide selection of local and imported beverages.

Watch Arrivals Gate. Smoking in enclosed area only.

International Arrivals (Everybody)

* Elephant and Castle (L.2). Sports bar featuring an English atmosphere and a pub style menu.

Watch Arrivals Gate.

International Departures: (Everybody)

* Hanami Japanese Restaurant (L.3). A kaiten (revolving) sushi bar, tatami rooms. Dim sum served daily. Watch aircraft.

* Pacific Market (L.3). International and local cuisine in a full service, licensed restaurant.

International Departures (Post-Security)

* Pacific Lodge Café (L.3). Sandwiches, hot breakfast items, salads, drinks, and pastries.

* Peak's Lounge (L.3). Bar, and appetizers, snacks, and sandwiches.

USA Departures (Post-Security)

* Voyages Bar (L.3). Selection of drinks, appetizers, and snack foods.

Everywhere

* Starbucks has five outlets: Pre-Security, Post-Security, Arrivals & Departures, International and Domestic. All on L.3, except International Arrivals on L.2.

* Toast! Coffee Shop has three outlets: Domestic Arrivals L.2 (Everybody), Domestic Departures L.3 (Post -Security), and US Departures L.3 (Post-Security).

For more formal dining, try the Globe@YVR restaurant at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel in the international terminal. Floor-to-ceiling windows provide great views to watch aircraft. West Coast menus offer fresh, local products. The Jetside Bar is a comfortable place to meet friends or business associates.

• 4 weeks later...

A follow-up report (more appropriately, a non-report)...

By the time we reached YVR after a three-week independent tour of Alaska, we were too pooped to pop; in addition, She Who Must Be Obeyed had a viral URI, and I was coming down with a bacterial infection. So, we were unable to take advantage of the many splendid recommendations offered. Instead, we tried to catch our breath for our trans-con red eye by drinking lots of liquids (non-alcoholic, alas) at AC's Maple Leaf Club.

Again, thanks for the many suggestions, which we hope to enjoy on a future trip dedicated to Vancouver.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Robert's Market Report

• 3 months later...

Taking a flight to Mexico via JAL in a few weeks. Since even JAL has taken a nose dive with the quality of their meals, I'm thinking of ordering sushi to take on board. Has anyone been to Hanami at the airport and tried their sushi recently? How does it rate?

Taking a flight to Mexico via JAL in a few weeks. Since even JAL has taken a nose dive with the quality of their  meals, I'm thinking of ordering sushi to take on board. Has anyone been to Hanami at the airport and tried their sushi recently? How does it rate?

I'd be weary about packing sushi/raw fish/stuff like that unless you're gonna be eating soon after you get on the plain. Perhaps try a teriyaki noodle or something along the lines of that. Warm sushi sitting out there too long just seems too unappetising for me (especially california rolls when the avocado begins to darken).

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I suggest you go to the Fairmont restaurant - they pack plane meals to go. And they aren't plain.

Do you know what they are offering?

They used to do an excellent Japanese-style breakfast, with salmon, rice and miso soup, but last year it had been taken off the menu.

I like to keep the theme Asian aboard JAL for the endless hot sake pour.

God, I hope they still offer hot sake.

I suggest you go to the Fairmont restaurant - they pack plane meals to go. And they aren't plain.

Do you know what they are offering?

They used to do an excellent Japanese-style breakfast, with salmon, rice and miso soup, but last year it had been taken off the menu.

I like to keep the theme Asian aboard JAL for the endless hot sake pour.

God, I hope they still offer hot sake.

They offer pretty much the norm as far as off-site eaten catering goes now, from my inquiries, as opposed to their past more interesting choices. Items that wouldn't spoil if not contained in the appropriate temperature, etc. No sushi, and I didn't hear salmon as one of the lunch or breakfast choices; the items I heard were the typical choices for safe cuisine if you know what I mean. Being that they are packed in a bag for you to carry on, no cooling packs involved, etc., and the state of lawsuits these days, I can understand why. However, I'm sure they are of the best quality. I obtained the direct phone number that you may dial to get the details yourself: (604) 248 - 3278 (I must say, everyone I talked to were very professional, friendly and helpful, kudo's to the Fairmont staff (nope, I don't work there. :smile: )

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 2 years later...

I've got a relatively short stopover at YVR, and some relatives want meet me at the airport. I'd like to confine our visit to the airport, which seems to limit our lunching options to Globe@YVR or the Jetstream Bar.

Given that I'll have just come off a 9 1/2 hour flight, I don't think I'll be dressed in "business casual"--does that mean Globe is off-limits to me? I won't be looking like a bum, but I'll probably be wearing casual black pants, a plain black t-shirt, and black sneakers.

I looked at the Jetstream menu (at least what was available online), and absolutely nothing appealed to me except the cheese plate. It all seemed like a really bad '90's "fusion" menu. Globe's menu seemed more tolerable to me, but what's up with the dress code?

You should be fine. This is Vancouver which is very casual overall, and at the airport it is even more so. Try to avoid wearing a bathing suit and you shouldn't have a problem. :wink:

You should be fine.  This is Vancouver which is very casual overall, and at the airport it is even more so.  Try to avoid wearing a bathing suit and you shouldn't have a problem.  :wink:

We didn't go to Globe. :sad:

We went to a restaurant where the water planes (what are they called?) are located, a less than 10 minute drive from the airport. Food was crappy. :sad:

You should be fine.  This is Vancouver which is very casual overall, and at the airport it is even more so.  Try to avoid wearing a bathing suit and you shouldn't have a problem.   :wink:

We didn't go to Globe. :sad:

We went to a restaurant where the water planes (what are they called?) are located, a less than 10 minute drive from the airport. Food was crappy. :sad:

Ah yes... the Flying Beaver. Home to the drunken happy hour for YVR staff and airline crews. The name should have been your first clue about the food quality.

Still - its a nice riverside locale for drinks.