• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Minute Argentina Recomendation

This is a bit of a re-post but I'll be in Buenos Aires beginning next Saturday (4/16) and then in Salta for 4 days.

Any last minute recommendations of interesting eats or other food/wine related to-dos?

Hal

This is a bit of a re-post but I'll be in Buenos Aires beginning next Saturday (4/16) and then in Salta for 4 days.

Any last minute recommendations of interesting eats or other food/wine related to-dos?

Hal

here are a few places I've been visiting in my current trip to Buenos Aires (I'm here for another week), some already known, some not part of the usual tourist path. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now so not much commenting, but go ahead and ask if you have any questions.

- Chef German Martitegui's Agraz, at the Caesar Park Hotel, excellent. Martitegui has two other restaurants in Buenos Aires, and has recently opened another one in Madrid.

- new and upcoming Thymus, in the Palermo neighbourhood, Lerma 525. Thymus' chef (can't remember the name) apparently worked with Michel Bras.

- Another great up and coming place is trendy Restaurant Sucre (Sucre 676).

- Don't go to Tomo I. While it tends to be a tourist destination, definitely not worth it.

- Don't miss Buenos Aires' great ice cream: there are three big names, and you can find their places all around Buenos Aires: Freddo, Volta and Persicco.

- For great meat outside the usual tourist places, either visit La Brigada in San Telmo neighbourhood (Estados Unidos 465) or La Cabrera in Palermo (Cabrera 5099). Much better than what you can get in the tourist restaurants of either downtown or Puerto Madero.

- If you go to the old neighbourhood of La Boca, there are two great italian-argentinan places to go for food: El Obrero and Ill Materello.

that's all I can remember right now, will try to come back with more.

SD

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I'm just back from BsAs and will have a longer report on our meals, but for the sake of brevity since you're leaving this coming weekend.....

Although we found Sucre better, a close second you can add to your list is Olsen in Palermo Hollywood. We also enjoyed Dora on Alem not far off Plaza San Martin.

I cannot emphasize enough the need to go to Parilla 1880 (Defensa 1665). In two visits to BsAs, it has twice delivered the best meat. Best choice is the Bife de Chorizo. The lomo is mighty good, but pales in comparison.

I would instantly choose 1880 over La Brigada. We went to the San Telmo branch of La Brigada because, for days, we were unable to get through on the phone to make a reservation at 1880. La Brigada was our standby since 1880 wasn't going to happen. As it turned out, I was able to get through to 1880 on our last day there and made a reservation for that final night. Food and service blows La Brigada out of the water.

Also, a great all-around workhorse type restaurant that has a little bit of everything and does it all well is Chiquilin on Montevideo. I forget the cross street, but it's one block south of Corrientes.

Two other places I visited I must recommend:

- La Bourgogne, at the Alvear Palace Hotel, Ayacucho 2026. If Michelin stars were given to restaurants down here, in my opinion this place would definitely get one or two.

- Nectarine, Vicente Lopez 1661, is a hidden gem in the posh Recoleta neighbourhood, in a little and not very well known pasage.

SD

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

I agree with the others on La Brigada & Olsen. However the food in Sucre was so so. Only about 50 % of our table enjoyed their food. It is definately great for ambiance, but the food was kind of hit & miss.

For brunch you should definately go the Four Seasons. Amazing food, everything you could want and excellent service. Olsen is apparently very good for brunch if you prefer something more relaxed.

La Cabana (not Las Lilas) in Recoleta is very good also. Beautiful space, with fireplace.

For very local food, very casual, always packed with locals, there is El Desnivel in San Telmo.

A freind recently went and also recomended Asia de Cuba for late night.

Hi-

I can second the recommendation for Il Matterello, but would think twice about the desserts (go have ice cream at Persicco if you want dessert). I've been there twice and both times had truly fantastic appetizers and pasta.

The first time I had as an appetizer ricotta croquettes, which had a taste of lemon to them. Very simple and very tasty. My main course was semolina fussili with putanesca sauce. The pasta was so good it would have been delicious without sauce. The sauce, though, was really something else! Very flavorful and with a very assertive anchovy flavor. Amazing.

On the dessert menu were a few different kinds of tarts. I ordered pear because I knew they were in season. The pears, sadly, seemed to be from a can. It was disappointing, but I have to say that it did not really change my opinion of the place -- just taught me that I should look elsewhere for dessert. My dining companion got flan and it was fine.

The second time I went, I had an eggplant, tomato and onion appetizer, and ricotta and vegetable ravioli with tomato sauce as an entree.

My only other word of advice on this place is that both times I've gone, it seems to have been operating on an early schedule by local standards. For lunch, we showed up at 2.45pm and were told the kitchen was closing. For dinner, we got there about 10.15/10.30 and were the last ones to be seated -- everybody else was on dessert by that time.

My other recommendation would be Bar Uriarte. I have not been to Sucre, but this is by the same owner(s), I believe. The food at Bar Uriarte was very good -- from what we ordered, the pizzas were the least successful item. Desserts here were excellent. I had a chocolate mousse with berry sauce and orange flan with almond cream resting in milk chocolate/cinnamon soup. I'm not a milk chocolate fan, but this was good.

Hope you enjoy your trip. . .

My other recommendation would be Bar Uriarte. I have not been to Sucre, but this is by the same owner(s), I believe. The food at Bar Uriarte was very good -- from what we ordered, the pizzas were the least successful item. Desserts here were excellent. I had a chocolate mousse with berry sauce and orange flan with almond cream resting in milk chocolate/cinnamon soup. I'm not a milk chocolate fan, but this was good.

You're correct about the same ownership. Bar Uriarte is a great suggestions. We were there for lunch. I like how they had some bottles of wine from vineyards we did not find at other restaurants. We really enjoyed a cabernet from Ruca Malen. Didn't find it served anywhere else.

You're correct about the same ownership.  Bar Uriarte is a great suggestions.  We were there for lunch.  I like how they had some bottles of wine from vineyards we did not find at other restaurants.  We really enjoyed a cabernet from Ruca Malen.  Didn't find it served anywhere else.

The owners of Bar Uriarte and Restaurant Sucre also own the Gran Bar Danzon, a great place for a drink, quick food and they have a great selection of wine.

Indeed, I think Ruca Malen has great wines. If you can find the Ruca Malen Grand Cru Cabernet Sauvignon, definitely go for it!

SD

• 2 weeks later...