• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bone marrow in DC area?

I work at Mendocino Wine Bar & Grille in the Georgetown area. We recently had a 8oz kobe ribeye on the menu with a garlic confit and poached bone marrow sauce. It didn't sell to well. People seemed a little scared of the word. too bad I just recently got on this site because I would have told you about it before we took it off the menu. I thought it was awesome, and I love bone marrow.

Jesse March

Marrow bones can be found at the local Giant's/Safeway. Well, it used to be, but nowadays less frequently in well-to-do areas. (They've gone missing! Along with chicken gizzards and livers... What is the world coming to these days?)

Also check at Asian/Hispanic super stores.

I work at Mendocino Wine Bar & Grille in the Georgetown area.  We recently had a 8oz kobe ribeye on the menu with a garlic confit and poached bone marrow sauce.  It didn't sell to well.  People seemed a little scared of the word. too bad I just recently got on this site because I would have told you about it before we took it off the menu.  I thought it was awesome, and I love bone marrow.

Jesse: Welcome to eGullet. Your experience with bone marrow sauce just goes to show that there is no accounting for taste. Some would have been attracted to it, others repelled. I imagine that some restaurants get the same reaction from pork belly.

cashion's currently features sunnyside farms' wagyu sirloin with roasted bone marrow. a lovely little spoon for scoopin' and some herbs on the side...

to add: if you contact sunnyside i would bet they could bring you up some marrow bones to dupont farmer's market...

Edited by frogprince (log)

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol