• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Milk

Pam R

Last fall I was introduced to Tayo potato milk. I have done a little experimenting with it and so far love it.

I don't really enjoy soy milk in my coffee - find it gritty and not crazy about the flavour. Potato milk has the consistency of real milk and I did my own taste test - on it's own it's not the same, but mixed with coffee I couldn't taste the difference.

Anybody else out there trying it? Any good or bad issues?

Favorite uses?

The only way I know of it is because a friend has an autistic grandson who was placed on a wheat-free, dairy free diet about a year ago. He also couldn't tolerate large amounts of soy or nut milks so the potato milk was recommended.

Apparently the change in his condition has been nothing short of astounding and his mom is taking part in some sort of long-term study. Autism and diet. My friend recently sent me this web site URL.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Apparently potatoes are one of the most tolerated foods (meaning very few people have allergies or intolerances to it). Because there are lots of people who can’t tolerate dairy and soy, potato is a good option.

As a lactose-intolerant person, who doesn’t love soy milk (which is odd, since I love soy in many other forms) I was very happy to discover this stuff. On top of that, it works well in a kosher kitchen. I was able to make a great chicken-pot pie sauce that was nice and creamy and followed the Kashrut laws and potato leek soup for a meat meal. As a replacement for the edible-oil products I usually use for this type of cooking I think it’s the best choice.

I’d like to try doing some desserts with it, but that won’t happen until May – my one concern is that I think it may scorch a little when bringing it to temp. in a pot. I need to experiment more.

I’d like to try doing some desserts with it, but that won’t happen until May – my one concern is that I think it may scorch a little when bringing it to temp. in a pot.  I need to experiment more.

What if you used a double boiler?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

could you explain, please, what this is? is it a mix? do you make it at home from potatoes? Or do you buy it like reg. milk? Sounds interesting...dumb question alert. Does it taste like potatoes?

You buy it - usually in the stores with the soy milk. At the moment it's only available in 2L cartons. I have no idea how they make it, but it's great. It doesn't taste like potatoes. It tastes milk-like, though a little sweeter (maybe closer to lactaid milk). They fortify it with calcium and vitamins and claim there is less sugar in it than in milk.

"I've got nipples Focker, can you milk me?"

something about the title of the thread; I just pictured someone tugging on little potato teats. I would say this has something to do with watching too much Arrested Development; it encourages this kind of thinking.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody seen this stuff around lately? My local Superstore no longer has it - and I'm wondering if it's still being made. An email to the company via their website has gone unanswered ... and I want some. :hmmm:

Potato milk is fairly popular among people who are allergic to dairy and soy, and for families with autistic children on the ANDI/GFCF Diet.

Pam, look around for a product called DariFree (made by Vance's Foods)... it's another brand of potato milk.

Cheryl

a search for darifree, brings up www.dairyfree.com which takes you to the Tayo website.

ok. this is kind of weird - so I go to the Vance's website, go to 'contact info' and click on the Canadian distributor link ... and I kid you not, the Canadian distributor is located down the street from me. I'll contact them and see what they say. Thanks!

I have never heard of this but will look out for it. Thanks.

Isn't the potato part of the nightshade family? A lot of people are intolerant to that group which includes eggplant and tomatoes.

How do you milk a potato reminds me of something I saw on a menu recently, shaved chives.

How do shave a chive?

Edited by shelora (log)

Isn't the potato part of the nightshade family?

:unsure:

I don't know.

The Tayo stuff was (is?) coming out of BC - so it may be easier for you to find if it's still around.

I heard back from the local distributors of the Vance stuff - so I'll try to hunt some down.

• 3 months later...

I came across cartons of Tayo at my local Safeway today. So I guess they're still making it.

Recipe testing in the future...

Edited by Pam R (log)