• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Canadian Prairies (MB,SK)

Thanks to Dejah's Juno thread, we've had some great discussions about Winnipeg and the surrounding area. I thought it was time to move some of the talk to a non-Juno thread.

Anybody who wants to discuss any of the restaurants, food sources, culinary history or anything from the Candian Prairies can do it here! I'm talking about Manitoba, Saskastchewan (and Alberta) - but everybody's invited.

Post a question or just let us know what's good out there.

Some off-the-cuff offerings...

Little-known factoid: Saskatchewan is a major producer of coriander.

Some local producers here in Alberta are trying to promote a line of "cold-pressed extra-virgin canola oil." It looks absolutely gorgeous, thick and viscuous with a rich gold-green colour. Unfortunately it has the same window-putty taste as regular canola oil, only more so.

Emanuela Leoni, in Canmore Alberta, makes an artisanal Parmesan-style cheese called Leoni Grana. It is of very high quality, and is a favourite with local chefs. I'm told that they do a very good tour, as well.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Prasantrin,

If you are in S'toon, or anybody else who knows, I have some questions about my old stomping grounds. Is the Genesis-macrobiotic and Chinese food-still open? How is the quality these days? Where is the best vietnamese food in town? What's new on the cuisine scene? Every time I go back, I just eat at Calories, so I never get to try anything new.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Prasantrin,

If you are in S'toon, or anybody else who knows, I have some questions about my old stomping grounds. Is the Genesis-macrobiotic and Chinese food-still open? How is the quality these days? Where is the best Vietnamese food in town? What's new on the cuisine scene? Every time I go back, I just eat at Calories (which has a great Schmoo Torte by the way), so I never get to try anything new.

It surprises me that Saskatoon has the biggest people. It has such an active population-running, skiing, cycling.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Ah...Good for you! Pam for opening the Prairies thread.

Don't know how many of you have been in or thru' Brandon. We had a diasterous fire last Sunday and one of our favourite eating places was burnt to the ground - Lady of the Lake. It was one of 6 biz in an old implement dealership. Lady of the Lake started as a unique gift shop...some items on consignment from local artists, and many Manitoba products such as saskatoon jams, jelly, etc. Then they included a restaurant at the other end of the building. They served quiche, paninis, organic baking, great salads, sandwichs and homemade soups. My favourite lunch was the field greens with saskatoon vinegrette. My daughter always ordered the veg panini and hungarian soup. The place was always packed. On Friday nights they had open mike.

According to the newspaper, this little gem was recognized as a "must stop" in tourist guide for Manitoba. The manage/cook was to come over next week for a Cantonese chow mein cooking lesson at my house. Guess she will have more time now. :sad:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Don't know how many of you have been in or thru' Brandon. We had a diasterous fire last Sunday and one of our favourite eating places was burnt to the ground - Lady of the Lake.

I heard about it on the radio (I've been paper-less for a couple of months). Do you think they'll rebuild? It sounds like it'll be a great loss to Brandon.

I haven't been through in years - but I keep saying I should do more roadtrips - Brandon would be a good one.

Prasantrin,

Every time I go back, I just eat at Calories (which has a great Schmoo Torte by the way), so I never get to try anything new.

Zuke

Zucchini Mama:

Ah yes Calories. That fine little spot was our "culinary salvation" :rolleyes: during one particulary stressful week in Saskatoon. After having our fill of "Greek ribs" and "family restaurants" we were strolling in the Broadway and discovered it. We hung around for its opening at lunch at ate lunch and dinner there the next few days.

Its food and some particularly fine people and fellow dog-lovers who befriended us during our stay evoke fond memories [one of our goldens was being tested and treated at the vet school].

I was in Regina about this time last year and one spot which I would highly recommend is the The Creek in Cathedral Bistro.

Very different food [lots of "family" restaurants and steak houses] from what I was accustomed to seeing in town and some interesting, albeit expensive, wine selections.

I had lunch and dinner there on several occasions and enjoyed chatting with the friendly servers and charming owner. She told me that she has done some travelling and so, when she returned to Saskatoon wanted to open a place which did not serve the "regular" menu items.

I did read somewhere of a new spot opening up on Lake Wabasca [sp?], Whispers or something like that. I am not sure if it is the marina there or not. Perhaps someone from Regina can assist.

I had a decent meal at the Mediterranean Grill out in the eastern end of the city off the highway amidst a sea of stripmalls and suburban developement. Less success back in town at La Bodega which I think is owned by the same person or group.

Overall, The Creek in Cathedral would be my choice. I can still taste that cold lamb sandwich with basil and hot mustard that I tucked into before carrying on to the airport.

Don't know how many of you have been in or thru' Brandon. We had a diasterous fire last Sunday and one of our favourite eating places was burnt to the ground - Lady of the Lake.

I heard about it on the radio (I've been paper-less for a couple of months). Do you think they'll rebuild? It sounds like it'll be a great loss to Brandon.

I haven't been through in years - but I keep saying I should do more roadtrips - Brandon would be a good one.

The owners of the building said they will rebuild, but the women who own Lady of the Lady said they haven't gotten beyond the shock of seeing the flames to think about the future at this time. It's unfortunate, but I don't know if they can reproduce the unique atmosphere of the old building.

If you ever decide to venture beyond "the perimeter", please give me a shout. Amandasmom and family came out and spent yesterday with us. We had a great visit over eGullet and food. Whatever topic came up, it always reverted back to food! :laugh:

Is Hy's Steak Loft still in Wpg? Anyone remember Happy Vineyard? How about the old Beachcomber? Am I dating myself? :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

As we discussed in the Juno thread, Winnipeg has a varied multicultural culinary scene. Mainly because immigrants tend to open wonderful little restaurants and share their national foods with us.

I don't know what the largest group in Winnipeg is, but you can find Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Jewish, Greek, Ethiopian, Italian, French, American (burgers?), Mennonite, Philippine and more.

What about other parts of the prairies? I seem to recall that Saskatchewan now has a lot of Greek restaurants – would that be one of the largest groups opening restaurants? What about Calgary? Who’s cooking there? Brandon?

The owners of the building said they will rebuild, but the women who own Lady of the Lady said they haven't gotten beyond the shock of seeing the flames to think about the future at this time. It's unfortunate, but I don't know if they can reproduce the unique atmosphere of the old building.

If you ever decide to venture beyond "the perimeter", please give me a shout. Amandasmom and family came out and spent yesterday with us. We had a great visit over eGullet and food. Whatever topic came up, it always reverted back to food! :laugh:

Is Hy's Steak Loft still in Wpg? Anyone remember Happy Vineyard? How about the old Beachcomber? Am I dating myself? :laugh:

I wish them well - it's unfortunate because you're right - it'll be hard to reproduce their place. Even if wasn't historical, it can be hard.

There's life beyond the perimeter?? :wink: I was going to drive north to Gimli today, but that's not going to happen... wrong direction I know!

Oy. Hy's Steak Loft. My family was there in December for two reasons. 1. It was my parents anniversary and we often go there for family milestones. 2. They were closeing on Jan 1 and relocating to the Richardson building on Portage and Main. I have not yet been to the new locations and think I'll wait a while before I go. Reports have not been good - so I'm hoping they just need to work out the kinks. It seems as though they have replaced almost all of the FOH staff and have reworked the menu - perhaps trying to compete with that other steak place on the Cresent.

No matter when I went to Hy's, I would know at least 3 other tables of people there. Theory is they may be trying to appeal more to the expense account crowd now that they are in the bank district.

I'd love to hear other first-hand accounts.

beachcomber.... am I right in thinking this was next to the convention center?

T

There's life beyond the perimeter?? :wink: I was going to drive north to Gimli today, but that's not going to happen... wrong direction I know!

Have you ever been to the Icelandic Festival? My boss goes every summer and I hope to make it there someday soon. Venetata (sp?), lefse...I love lefse with cream cheese!

Oy. Hy's Steak Loft.

No matter when I went to Hy's, I would know at least 3 other tables of people there. Theory is they may be trying to appeal more to the expense account crowd now that they are in the bank district.

I think Hy's is an institution...stay with the same quality in food and service and they will keep coming back. I haven't been there for years The compnay we used to do promotional tours for used to take us there at the beginning and end of our season. It was expensive then and I am sure it still in. I would definitely put it in the "expense account" crowd.

beachcomber.... am I right in thinking this was next to the convention center?

Exactly! I was so impressed before with the waterfall, "Hawaiian" dishes, etc. They used to always present the ladies with a gardenia. Then we went in for an early supper one night before they turned the lights down low. It was in pretty bad shape, grunginess hidden by the darkness. The food was pretty mundane compared to all the new places coming into Wpg. We never went back.

I wonder if there is still a Beachcomber at the York Hotel in Calgary? We were there in 1966 for our honeymoon. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

[i wonder if there is still a  Beachcomber at the York Hotel in Calgary? We were there in 1966 for our honeymoon. :wink:

:rolleyes: I doubt it...City of Calgary bought it and converted it into subsidized or low income housing...then again

When I first moved out here there was the Tiki-Tiki in Edmonton. No longer in operation.

Those quasi-polynesian spots were quite popular for awhile. I remember going to the Kon Tiki in the Mount Royal Hotel..at least I think that that was the name...in downtown Montreal...with the high school grad "crew"...coconut drinks, pineapples hollowed out, dry ice spewing "fake" volocano drinks....finger food....I am glad that there too they kept the lights low...probably would not want to have seen it fully lit up...to say nothing of the hookers and travelling "suits" who filled up the rest of the place

What about other parts of the prairies?  I seem to recall that Saskatchewan now has a lot of Greek restaurants – would that be one of the largest groups opening restaurants?  What about Calgary?  Who’s cooking there?  Brandon?

Pam, that was our impression initially of Saskatoon as well. Hence the comment about "Greek ribs" and "family restuarants".

It reminded me a lot of Jasper when it comes to restaurants. That town is dominated by Greek ownership as many of them "pioneered" the hospitality trade in the early days. All sorts of food but probably started by someone of Greek ancestry.

I am not sure about Calgary or Edmonton in that regard. A real multi-cultural environment in both cities with lots of Asian, Lebanese, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Greek and other nationalities represented but I do not think one group dominates as much as say Saskatoon or Jasper.

Of course more "national chains" and multi-restaurant "higher end" groups in both those larger centres as contrasted with smaller communities.

OK, after confirmation, I actually know the people who owned the Beachcomber - they're customers of ours. Alas, it's been closed for years and years. I'm guessing at least 15. Then it was Mr. Greek for ages - that closed a couple of years ago and now it's opened as something else - I think they're going for high-end but I haven't been there.

Happy Vineyard - I havn't heard of it. Parents have - it's been gone a long time.

You're not dating yourself at all.... just because all the restaurants you list are before my time! :laugh:

Hello to all, I was surprised to see a mention about Saskatoon here on egullet. I also was surprised to see that we are the fattest city in Canada. i would like to see where that stat came from ?

It's funny you should mention Calories, i work there as a line cook. The restaurant is still on Broadway after 20 years, the last 10 with it's present owners. The restaurant will be relocating to downtown Saskatoon in June 06.

I went to school in Vancouver at PICA and I spent my first 5 years working in Vancouver before coming home. The difference in foodculture is huge but the city is making small strides in that area.

Remi Couysn who owns Calories has been using local suppilers for food product like lamb, chicken, duck, grains, wild rice, and several other things. Especially during the summer months we are down at the farmers market purchasing all sorts of great product.

In Regina, you should try Danbry's, there chef was from Wildflower in Calgary (I think) It's with the Catch group of restaurants.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Saskatoon. My only experience with food there has been really bad Chinese food--and that was about 17 years ago!

Here's the article about overweight/obesity rates in Canada. It's interesting that while Saskatoon is the largest city, it's the Maritimes that is the largest region.

Well, we're still smaller than the US!

Junior:

Nice to get some input from the prairies. If it's the Catch group probably the chef came from the Wildwood Brewing Co. off 14th Avenue [used to be the Mission Bridge or something to that effect where the street eventually ties into McLeod Trail South] affiliated with Catch and Bonterra.

Did have lunch at Danbry's. Interesting atmosphere with the "old boy's club" look. Also had dinner at the steak house close by. The one that used to be a funeral parlour I think with the torches outside. Golf's. Real old style, papillon bow tie servers...red plush rugs...dark furniture...not where I would usually eat but the food quality and service were all top notch.

Golf's...holy crap, I think that's where I worked as a busser for all of two weeks when I was 18. I remember being rather amused by the old-school trappings, even then (1981, IIRC).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Excellent thread. My husband is from Henribourg. You get a prize if you know where that is :biggrin:

We're heading out west on a three week road trip this summer. We'll go through the states to get to Alberta, but are coming back through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Recommendations for good places to eat along the way are most welcome!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Excellent thread.  My husband is from Henribourg.  You get a prize if you know where that is :biggrin:

Just north of prince albert... what do i get!!?!?!?! :raz:

Did have lunch at Danbry's.  Interesting atmosphere with the "old boy's club" look.  Also had dinner at the steak house close by.  The one that used to be a funeral parlour I think with the torches outside.  Golf's.  Real old style, papillon bow tie servers...red plush rugs...dark furniture...not where I would usually eat but the food quality and service were all top notch.

Ok, that's weird...not sure I can handle eating in a former funeral parlour. :unsure: It was unsettling to me that Hy's Steak Loft was besidea funeral parlour!

Marlene: "We're heading out west on a three week road trip this summer. We'll go through the states to get to Alberta, but are coming back through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Recommendations for good places to eat along the way are most welcome!"

Well, you can always come meet me and eat at my house...seriously... :smile:

I finish teaching on July 22, but away for the second and third week of August. Do you have any idea when you will be through Manitoba?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We're heading out west on a three week road trip this summer.  We'll go through the states to get to Alberta, but are coming back through Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Recommendations for good places to eat along the way are most welcome!

Winnipeg:

Chinese at the Spicy Noodle House in Osborne Village (eggplant in black bean sauce is amazing)

Tavern in the Park - located in Assiniboine Park it is a beautiful spot with great food.

Kelekis for greasy stuff - hotdogs, burgers and shoesting fries

Victoria Seafood for dim sum (though some will tell you to go to one of the places in Chinatown

Stroll down Corodyn Ave. in little Italy and pick a place (and finish off with gelati at one of the gelati places)

Alicia's for Ukranian - perogies, etc.

If you want to make a side trip - head north to Winnipeg Beach or Gimli for some fresh pickerel (walleye).

Plan a picnic and pick up some rye bread at City Bread and some smoked Goldeye or Coonie at Mariner Neptune or Gimli Fish (also availabe in some grocery stores I believe)

It pains me to do this, but since our restaurant is no longer open, I'll suggest going to Baked Expectations for dessert - it also happens to be a great people-watching place

If you're heading out on hwy #1 all the way home, make sure you stop in Kenora and enjoy some fries from the Chip Guy - look for his truck a couple of blocks from the shore.

Edited by Pam R (log)

marlene : I'm from La Ronge which is the other end of the #2 in SK. I used to play in softball tournements in Henribourg. Which route are taking through our neck of the woods ? If your in Saskatoon, come down to Calories. :biggrin:

The orgininal Golf's was in Saskatoon and the building was recently bought by hong Kong Bank of Canada. I was able to get a menu before they tore the building down this past winter. You should see some of the prices. It's a laugh.

merlin: Yes that's the place in Calgary.

The one question I have is: is there any other egulleters in Saskatoon ?

Edited by Junior (log)

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant