• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Canadian Prairies (MB,SK)

Here's a link to an older thread with Winnipeg recommendations. There are also some pictures from Mayhaw Man's visit there.

I would highly recommend hitting Bistro Dansk if you have time. They have excellent soups and I love their schnitzel. Their pate used to be very very good, but the last time I had it I was disappointed. It could have been just an off-day, though. By going to Bistro Dansk, you could also skip Baked Expectations for dessert and have Bistro's hazelnut pie. Yum!!! It's packed with hazelnuts and topped with a good serving of whipped cream. Nothing could be better :biggrin: .

Junior,

I can't believe Calories is moving downtown. I love Broadway. How can they abandon my favorite street in Saskatoon!!!

My friends used to waitress there before the big reno. We lived a half a block away.

I ate a lote of California Clubs on wild rice bread, black bottom cupcakes and turtle squares. Needless to say, I'm no longer a size 5!

Does Remy still make that fabulous rabbit pistaschio terrine(or paté, I can't remember exactly)? Any chance we eGulleters could get the recipe?

Marlene,

if you can give us a rough idea of your route, maybe we can give you some tips.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Pam R,Apr 10 2005, 10:30 PM

Just north of prince albert... what do i get!!?!?!?!  :raz:

My undying admiration?!

Well, you can always come  meet me and eat at my house...seriously... :smile:

I finish teaching on July 22, but away for the second and third week of August. Do you have any idea when you will be through Manitoba?

Invitations for dinner are always interesting, but we'll take that to PM :smile:

Marlene,

if you can give us a rough idea of your route, maybe we can give you some tips.

Zuke

You're asking me? I'm just the passenger? Seriously, we'll expect to hit Banff and Jasper by mid week first week of July. We'll spend a few days there and head towards Saskatchewan, where we'll stop and visit Don's mom in Prince Albert, although he still has a sister who lives in Hennribourg.

I think three days in Saskatchewan probably, and then I'm not really sure. We'll start planning out our route in the next two weeks. Some of that will depend on where there are good, not to mention available,campsites along the way

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My undying admiration?! 

That could work...

I think three days in Saskatchewan probably, and then I'm not really sure.  We'll start planning out our route in the next two weeks.  Some of that will depend on where there are good, not to mention available,campsites along the way

A couple of good places that I know of are Falcon Lake just west of the Ontario border (about 1 1/2 hours from Winnipeg on #1) and Rushing River just outside of Kenora.

My friend Donna loves a Korean teahouse on Stradbrooke in Winnipeg called "Right There". Anybody been there? In the summer, I also reccomend the Jamaican outdoor café at The Saint Norbert Arts Centre. If you plan your visit on the right day you can also get fabulous chicken pot pies from the Hutterites at the St. Norbert's farmer's market, and other Manitoba specialties.

Zuke

--Mae West

Yes, the cali club, black bottoms, and the pate are still here. We are acutally marinating some rabbit for that very pate as we speak. Funny you should mention that. I'm sure that I could get the recipe for you.

What Remy is planning on doing is moving to a building they purchased this past Feb. downtown. They will be hanging on to the building on Broadway, the menu will be more casual. The move is not until June 06, so if you make it back before then you can relive those food memories.

Marlene - If you can or if you are stopping in S'toon stop in and say hello. For campsites we have Pike Lake, about 20 minutes southwest of the city. Other than that my wife and I are not to sure about what's around here. If you need any other help, Pm me.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

• 9 months later...

There is one new thing going on here in Saskatoon. My wife and I will be opening a new restaurant on Broadway in (hopefully) 3 weeks. We secured the lease on a small space in the old Wentz lumber yard building which is just off the street. The room seats about 25 people. We are still waiting on the government to register us for our business name. We are in the midst of renovating the room, giving it a new paint job and installing new kitchen equipment. I'll keep everyone posted on what's going on, as we go along.

Calories is not moving to downtown Saskatoon until 2007. The restaurant was closed for January while they renovated. They reopened on Feb 1, a week ahead of schedule.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

There is one new thing going on here in Saskatoon.  My wife and I will be opening a new restaurant on Broadway in (hopefully) 3 weeks.

This definitely sounds exciting!

I had a choice between Carver's or McD's the last time I was in the city (limited; we needed either speed or a quiet spot to eat and take the conference call). As a flight back to SK appears to be in the works for later this year, I'm looking forward to hearing about your endeavors.

There is one new thing going on here in Saskatoon.  My wife and I will be opening a new restaurant on Broadway in (hopefully) 3 weeks.  We secured the lease on a small space in the old Wentz lumber yard building which is just off the street.  The room seats about 25 people.  We are still waiting on the government to register us for our business name.  We are in the midst of renovating the room, giving it a new paint job and installing new kitchen equipment.  I'll keep everyone posted on what's going on, as we go along. 

Calories is not moving to downtown Saskatoon until 2007.  The restaurant was closed for January while they renovated.  They reopened on Feb 1, a week ahead of schedule.

That's such great news Junior! Congratulations and keep us posted! Remind me exactly where that lumber building is?

Zuke

--Mae West

Junior, let me "chime in" with congrats as well.

As I posted some time ago, Calories "saved" my wife and I when we were last in Saskatoon. Glad to hear that you are adding to the neighbourhood...is Canard Noir still in operation?

Good luck

Thanks everyone, once we get a little more organized we'll share more info and pictures. It's funny you should mention Canard noir as our chairs came from there. Yes, it's still open but the previous owner of the restaurant we are taking over was also a owner of the Black Duck.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Thanks everyone, once we get a little more organized we'll share more info and pictures. 

Congratulations! That's really exciting - but you must be exhausted! Please keep us updated - either in this thread or start a new one. I haven't been to Saskatoon in years and I'd love to do a trip out there this summer.