• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Splendido

sgfrank

I've been to Splendido 5 times since the beginning of December. That pretty much sums it up. Probably the best (certainly the most consistent) restaurant in Toronto right now. And the last time, the tasting menu included a dish I'd had the previous time - so they substituted a different dish WITHOUT MY ASKING OR SAYING ANYTHING - they just remembered (and the manager wasn't there for either of the two visits, so I'm not sure how they figured it out - possibly the Sommelier, as he was able to confirm that my main dish was different without talking to the kitchen). That's exceptional service!

You do know that Yannick and Carlo have more information on you than CSIS (or the FBI if you were American)? Yannick actually knew more about me than I knew about him on our initial encounter... honest truth.

You do know that Yannick and Carlo have more information on you than CSIS (or the FBI if you were American)?  Yannick actually knew more about me than I knew about him on our initial encounter...  honest truth.

Aha - that's why I had to get a new passport. All those trips to Northern Pakistan and Iran were raising suspicions (and the food wasn't that great there either). But my secret liquor provider is still around.

Strangely, it's the alcohol that seems to bother CSIS the most. When returning to Canada I'm always searched for wine (they examine every bottle, often X-ray them, and even take dust samples and put them in some machine (I wish I was joking)) - but no-one seems to care about why I was travelling in those areas.

Now - if you really want to upset the 'authorities' then try bringing in some butter. Last time, they confiscated it; placed the 500gms in a plastic garbage bag; placed that in a large plastic container on wheels and took it off to be immediately incinerated (again I'm not joking). This same butter (Italian) is sold in fine stores in the USA andI still have no explanation of why this wasn't permitted (Agriculture Canada's own website shows that there are no 'warnings' for dairy products from Italy).