• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montgomery, Alabama

joiei

My nephew, who is pretty food savy, has just been relocated to middle Alabama. Is there anything beyond chains that I can send him to. Fine dining, sushi, bbq, thai, or is he stuck having to run up to Birmingham to Highlands or Hot and Hot for a good meal?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

thanks for the link but when websites are filled with mostly chains, I dismiss it. I am looking for local chef owned places like Frank Stitt's places in Birmingham. Surely there are places like that in Montgomery. Like where to get the best fried chicken in town that is not KFC, those sort of recommendations. Thanks.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Surely there are places like that in Montgomery. 

You might want to check these out then ... the $ indicates the price range:

Bonefish Grill ($$$)

City Grill ($$$)

The Classic ($$$)

Dawson's At Rose Hill ($$)

Eastside Grille ($$)

Jimmy's Uptown Grille ($$$)

La Jolla Restaurant ($$$)

The Olive Room ($$$)

Serrano ($$$)

Vintage Year ($$$)

Not a KFC nor an IHOP among them ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

In Montgomery, The Sahara is a good choice. I haven't been there in a while but they had a well trained and experienced service staff and excellent food. You won't hear, "Hi I'm Jeff and I'll be your server tonight".

Dave

Surely there are places like that in Montgomery. 

You might want to check these out then ... the $ indicates the price range:

Bonefish Grill ($$$)

City Grill ($$$)

The Classic ($$$)

Dawson's At Rose Hill ($$)

Eastside Grille ($$)

Jimmy's Uptown Grille ($$$)

La Jolla Restaurant ($$$)

The Olive Room ($$$)

Serrano ($$$)

Vintage Year ($$$)

Not a KFC nor an IHOP among them ... :wink:

has anyone been to any of these places and are they any good? I will pass on the info on the Sahara, what type food do they serve?

Jubilee Seafood- Old Cloverdale area. Owner Bud Skinner flies in fesh Gulf seafood several times a week. Brightly lit, no frills atmosphere, but some of the best seafood dishes in the state.

City Grill- East Side, Taylor Road area. Upscale, high quality ingrediants,knowlegable waitstaff. Seafood, pasta, good steak. Try their crawfish pie!

Chris' Hotdogs-Downtown Govt. area. Been there about 50 years. Chili dogs, hand formed burgers.

There are many meat and three places in town also. You may want to check out Montgomery Advertiser website. Please, overlook the writing!! Most of the reviews are done "man on the street" style (no professional food critics here) , but it is a decent list of area restaurants. While Montgomery doesn't have anything-or anyone of Frank Stitt's caliber, you can still find a few decent eats without hitting I-65 North.

Jubilee Seafood- Old Cloverdale area. Owner Bud Skinner flies in fesh Gulf seafood several times a week. Brightly lit, no frills atmosphere, but some of the best seafood dishes in the state.

City Grill- East Side, Taylor Road area. Upscale, high quality ingrediants,knowlegable waitstaff. Seafood, pasta, good steak. Try their crawfish pie!

Chris' Hotdogs-Downtown Govt. area. Been there about 50 years. Chili dogs, hand formed burgers.

There are many meat and three places in town also. You may want to check out Montgomery Advertiser website.  Please, overlook the writing!! Most of the reviews are done "man on the street" style (no professional food critics here) , but it is a decent list of area restaurants. While Montgomery doesn't have anything-or anyone of Frank Stitt's caliber, you can still find a few decent eats without hitting I-65 North.

Thanks Chilidog, Now I want to check out Chris' myself. Is Jubilee owned by the same person as the one on Pensacola Beach?

• 10 months later...

Any fresh suggestions or updates to the above? We'll be there for a week, starting a week from now, visiting friends who haven't been living there long (there's a barbecue place they want to take us to and a Mexican joint that's a lunch possibility). Money is somewhat an object -- of the four of us, three are underpaid professors and one is an infrequently paid writer -- so anything amazingly terrific but pricey (entrees>$20) would mean staying home and eating sandwiches the rest of the trip.

Fresh seafood is a plus since we can't really get it here in Indiana without paying exorbitant prices for hit-or-miss food. Long drives aren't feasible because our friends teach until about 7 every night we're there.

In addition to restaurants: is there a butcher or a can't-miss grocery store? Our second night there I'm catering a party for some thirty people and will be shopping for it that morning. I've gotten used to having a butcher here -- just a standard, ordinary butcher, I don't need a specialty butcher necessarily -- but my friends don't know of one there.

Oh, and in a paragraph of its own: if there's a store in town where I can get real stone-ground grits, the kind you keep in the refrigerator, I just might cry. Well, I won't cry, but I'd be awful happy.