• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone done any nut infusions?

fatdeko

So there I was, thinking--first sign that something bad was about to happen--that while amaretto was born of Almond and Fra'Angelico is son of Hazelnut, How come it was that George Washington Carver never came up with a Peanut Liquor? And how come noone else did after him?

So I took my hand to it and came up with something....Good! The second iteration will recieve a little more fine tuning regarding vanilla and sugar, etc, but the base product feels... good.

Here's the question(s): I have concerns about the nut oils. Were they expressed in the spirit? and if so, should I keep him in the fridge to protect against rancidity? My suspicion is YES on both counts.

In the future, is there a way to keep them from being expressed?

Is there a low-tech way to remove them?

Right now they serve the same purpose as glycerin etc, so it's not an issue (also since we're only drinking it around the house)

I have a couple of (obvious) uses for said spirit, can you think of some others?

We have a tentative name for the stuff, including a gratuitously tasteless slogan.

FARMER'S DAUGHTER

brand

PEANUT BRANDY

"When you want a Nut Liquor, reach for a FARMER's DAUGHTER"

As bad as that joke might seem, we're thinking that a full fledged, honest-to-goodness cocktail made with the stuff should be called--are you ready?--The Travelling Salesman.

What can I say?

We are crass, crass, crass.

myers

There are a couple of peanut rums bottled in the islands. In St Lucia Nutz 'n Rum tastes like a peanut butter milkshake and in Antigua NutPower is a blend of peanuts and the local liquor, rum. Both of these blends are quite popular and are a continuation of an old island tradition of adding peanuts to rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.