• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other Sushi Gems in Los Angeles

dfunghi

We all know and love Mori and the few that have been love Urasawa and why wouldnt we. Here are a couple I find to be real "sleepers" . In the Valley on the SE corner of Shoup and Sherman Way in the back corner of a strip mall is Go Sushi. The sign just says sushi and if you walked in you would think this place would be ok for some rolls to go. There is little to no ambeince but what there is are two amazing people. Chef Go and his wife who is the procurer of the fish. Friends of mine ( including Mori) have told me that she is number 2 or 3 in the pecking order at the fish market. The quality of the fish is beyond anything you will find outside of LA's top 3 or 4 sushi bars. The pace is all about food, not show, not scene, not fame. I first learned of Go from a very , very wealthy customer of mine that haas him cater his partys with 2 or 3 thousands of dollars of sushi. Although it does not have the same level as say Mori where every kernal of rice is hand picked and polished he has his own charm. The fact that you sit in a brightly lit bar with no fancy surrondings yet eating divine sashimi and sushi has its own appeal. Well worth a try and dont be put off by the looks. Dinner for 2 usually runs us about $150- $200 for maybe 12-14 courses and worth every penny. Fresh Wasabi, Toro that is practically white, live scallop, amazing ankimo, etc.

Secondly is Sushi Sushi on Beverly DRIVE ( not blvd) just north of Olympic. Great selection and minimaly prepared. We go for the great selection of Sakes ( they do flights) and big slabs of really excellent fish. We have gone and just had 5 different clams and 5 tunas. Also a place to find things such as fresh wasabi and first class uni . I have been devoted to both of these for many years and have tried probably hundreds of others over the years and these two stand out.

Both chef owned and chef driven.

Lets hear about others .

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Having moved to England from LA, my wife and I dearly miss Sasubune, son of Nozawa, on Sawtelle.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Go Sushi

I'm happy to hear that someone else has enjoyed the beautiful sushi being served at Go Sushi.

My first introduction to Chef Go was when he used to be the Sushi Chef at a restaurant in Malibu called Bambu. The location is now Nobu's place. He mentored my friend as a sushi chef. I don't eat at Go's regularly because it's a bit far for me. But when we do visit it's like a episode of Japanese Iron Chef. Just amazing quality and creative ingredients.

Chef Go's brother also owns a sushi restaurant in Agoura, California. It's called Agoura Sushi, not as high end as Go's place but still quality sushi. He used own the location that Chef Go is in now.

Sasabune is not what it once was. Sorry to say. Had some very "fishy" clam and less than stellar sweet shrimp last time and it was and will be my last time.

Tour. Why not shoup and sherman way?

It says alot about the Chef's abilities to have a destination restaurant in a part of LA that isn't considered by most Los Angelenos who aren't residents of the Valley to be fairly remote.

Touar, It is probably 2 things. First is rent, second is exactly why it is where it is. It's stealth. Who would ever guess that the rundown looking generic Suhsi place in a strip mall in Canoga park would be an amazing restaurant. Go likes to keep it simple. I would advise you to give it try if you can bring yourself to the Valley. We go from Santa Monica. Recently we had a Tai sashimi with truffle oil on it that was mind blowing.

Bon Apettite,

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 3 weeks later...