• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scalded Milk?

Blondelle

Ah . . . I can help you there. Years ago, I learned this technique from my ex mother-in-law. Scalded milk was always served with the coffee. I was living in New Orleans. This is also the milk that is poured with the coffee at Cafe du Monde. You pour some whole milk, not the low fat stuff, into a heavy sauce pan. Leave plenty of room in the pan. Over medium heat, bring it up to a full boil. It will rise way up in the pan. Remove from the heat and let it cool. I remember when Teflon lined pans became common, my mil was in heaven. Properly scalded milk will leave a hard to clean film on the bottom and sides of a pan.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ah . . . I can help you there. Years ago, I learned this technique from my ex mother-in-law. Scalded milk was always served with the coffee. I was living in New Orleans. This is also the milk that is poured with the coffee at Cafe du Monde. You pour some whole milk, not the low fat stuff, into a heavy sauce pan. Leave plenty of room in the pan. Over medium heat, bring it up to a full boil. It will rise way up in the pan. Remove from the heat and let it cool. I remember when Teflon lined pans became common, my mil was in heaven. Properly scalded milk will leave a hard to clean film on the bottom and sides of a pan.

I'm confused.

I have always used the method described by Suzy to scald milk. I've never quite known what it does aside from warm up the milk. I imagine your method produces something quite different. What does this milk look like and can you use it in place of the "warm milk" that seems to be called for in other recipes?

The way my mil did it is the only way I have ever known. Yes, it does taste different. It doesn't really look any different. Here is another mystery . . . When you pour the coffee and milk into the cup at the same time, it tastes still different. I have no clue why.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Properly scalded milk will leave a hard to clean film on the bottom and sides of a pan.

There is a trick to avoid the film which works more times than not: run the saucepan under cold water, invert and shake off the excess, then add the milk and bring slowly to the scalding stage.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I had forgotten about that trick. That is just what she would do until she got her first non-stick pan. From then on, it was a continuous search for the ideal milk pan that was going to change her life forever. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

To me scalded milk is milk that has been brought to just short of a boil and when a "skin" forms on top it is "scalded" - the skin has to be removed.

My grandmother had a "milk pan" made of copper, similar to a sugar pan, with straight sides, but the pouring lip was on the right side of the pan instead of on the left.

This was so that one could pour the hot milk with the left hand and use the right hand for whisking the milk into whatever it was going into.

One of my aunts has it and has promised it to me "someday". I shouldn't complain, I got most of the other copper cookware but this little one quart pan was a favorite.

My favorite now for heating milk is a Corning ware pan I have had for 40 years (Blue cornflower design) with the detachable handle and pouring lips on three sides and even better, it has graduated measure marks on the inside.

I used to have two of these but one suffered a mishap. I have occasionally looked for one on ebay but they are a little scarce.

It is just perfect for heating milk, for some sauces, particularly when reducing delicate sauces as the markings on the interior make it easy to see how much it has reduced.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favorite now for heating milk is a Corning ware pan I have had for 40 years (Blue cornflower design) with the detachable handle and pouring lips on three sides and even better, it has graduated measure marks on the inside. 

I used to have two of these but one suffered a mishap.  I have occasionally looked for one on ebay but they are a little scarce. 

It is just perfect for heating milk, for some sauces, particularly when reducing delicate sauces as the markings on the interior make it easy to see how much it has reduced.

Darn, this conversation is about a year late. Mom had one of those for over 30 years. I'm sure she had it right up to the point of clearing out the house when she and Dad were downsizing, a year ago. I never gave that particular piece a thought, and it's long gone since neither my sister nor I spoke for it.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown