• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Salt?

Mr Wozencroft

The last time I bought salt, it was fine grained salt from Butcher & Packer - currently $4.50 for 25 lbs.. I suspect it might be referred to as "pickling" salt.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=277&products_id=62

FWIW, I always measure salt by weight, not volume. Here's my observations:

- 1/2 C. pickling salt (from Butcher & Packer) = 96 gr.

- 1/2 C. Diamond Crystal Kosher salt = 78 gr.

- 1/2 C. coarse sea salt from local health food store = 100 gr.

Keep in mind that weights vary slightly depending on the humidity.

Monterey Bay area

• 3 weeks later...

As others have suggested, Canning and Pickling salt is probably your best bet.  It is 100% salt and dissolves quicker than kosher salt, is pretty inexpensive and comes in a 4 lb box.  It is in grocery stores but sometimes it is stocked with canning jars instead of with other salt.

I looked in several markets and couldn't find that salt, or that salt type, and these were markets known for having a robust selection of many items.

... Shel

Berkeley Bowl sells sea salt in its bulk dept/ baking dept. Ask at Customer Service if you don't see it. IIRC, it's pure sea salt. If you want canning salt specifically, also ask for it if you don't see it. That store has so much stuff tucked away in the weirdest places. good luck.

Finally got over to BB this morning and found the bulk salt ... good tip!  The 5-lbs of sea salt I got should do the trick just fine.

... Shel

I looked in several markets and couldn't find that salt, or that salt type, and these were markets known for having a robust selection of many items.

It may be easier to find during canning season in with the canning supplies. When I first moved back here to Kansas City two years ago in April I could not find any at first.