• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Island Restaurants

"As far as home style Japanese food goes, I think it beats any restaurant in Victoria."

I like Bistro Taiyo a lot. The decor of sunny yellow walls coupled with a clothesline stretching the length of restaurant with quirky items pinned to the line, painted smiling suns on the walls and the menu specials written on a chalkboard that is brought to your table, it has that hint of being in a kindergarten. Knowing that the one of the owners used to be a teacher, it makes total sense.

But next time you are in Victoria, check out Daidoco. I know I sound like a broken record, since I've spoken about Daidoco before, but you must go there for some authentic Japanese food.

Daidoco is in Nootka court off Douglas on Courtenay St.

Dishes are between 1.80 and 2.50, Their inari pockets are only .75 cents. Chef and owner Nao-san has sourced the best and freshest in local fish and seafood, makes all his sauces by hand and is serving organic Japanese produce from Umi Nami farms in Metchosin. Nothing served is a frozen pre-made item. It's a total what's-fresh-today eating experience. Only open for lunches Monday to Friday. Best to get there early, as occasionally he will close before the posted hours if he sells out. I find 10:30/11:00 perfect. The selection is prime.

shelora

I'm fairly new around here, so that's the first time I've heard you speak of Daidoco. I had read about Daidoco elsewhere last week, and was on my way there this weekend only to find that it was closed. So, I'll have to try again during the week.

I'm getting pretty excited though, I've heard nothing but good things.

We heard a rumour you were spotted at the Beacon Drive In - only steps away from our home -

where millions of Victorians line up in the summer for a soft cone.

Funny you should mention it - I remember my uncle taking me to the Beacon Drive in for a soft cone when I was 12 years old. He was a cab driver in Victoria at the time and I had come out to visit him with my mom and grandmother. Now he is a restaurant manager in Victoria and I don't think they serve soft ice cream there! :raz:

"As far as home style Japanese food goes, I think it beats any restaurant in Victoria."

I like Bistro Taiyo a lot. The decor of sunny yellow walls coupled with a clothesline stretching the length of restaurant with quirky items pinned to the line, painted smiling suns on the walls and the menu specials written on a chalkboard that is brought to your table, it has that hint of being in a  kindergarten. Knowing that the one of the owners used to be a teacher, it makes total sense.

But next time you are in Victoria, check out Daidoco. I know I sound like a broken record, since I've spoken about Daidoco before, but you must go there for some authentic Japanese food.

Daidoco is in Nootka court off Douglas on Courtenay St.

Dishes are between 1.80 and 2.50, Their inari pockets are only .75 cents. Chef and owner Nao-san has sourced the best and freshest in local fish and seafood, makes all his sauces by hand and is serving organic Japanese produce from Umi Nami farms in Metchosin. Nothing served is a frozen pre-made item. It's a total what's-fresh-today eating experience. Only open for lunches Monday to Friday. Best to get there early, as occasionally he will close before the posted hours if he sells out. I find 10:30/11:00 perfect. The selection is prime.

shelora

Wow, I finally made it to Daidoco yesterday, tried a couple of the deserts, salad rolls, and braised salmon with miso and garlic sauce. I have eaten a lot of salmon since I moved to the island and his was, by far, the best I've tasted so far. Amazing. That little place is incredible.

Ohh, I'm glad you liked it! I heard he did a special yesterday with rock sole?? Sorry I missed it.

So today I went for my Wednesday ritual, early morning before the crowds and was treated to the same wild salmon you had, Umi Nami farms greens with a creamy sesame sauce, a blond miso and prawn broth with baby Japanese turnips and tofu and a little dish of tuna with a sansho pepper leaf - oh my God - what a flavour bomb packed into a teeny tiny leaf. Very citrusy.

And my usual roasted onigiri - absolute heaven.

Not really a restaurant (is there a thread for Victoria grocers/markets?), but the Village Butcher in Oak Bay (which has beautiful stuff any day of the week) has been making stilton and garlic buffalo sausage the last couple of days. Definately worth a visit.

Hi Hugh,

I started a thread further down with the sub-heading for ingredients. I thought it would be fun and informative to keep track of where to get, well, ingredients, be they cheese, Spanish anchovies, dried lemons or buffalo sausage.

Could you post your findings there?

P.S. I've got a line on another amazing little restaurant. Will keep you posted.

s

Andrew:

I am interested as well. We usually stay at the Ocean Pointe during our visits and so have walked past Wild Saffron and have had beers in Swans on many occasions. The menu at Wild Saffron has looked good but usually we are heading off to Brasserie l'Ecole or some similar spot so have not gone in.

Since you have Victoria "roots" maybe you can assist me. I asked in another thread if anyone knew the story behind Rebecca's demise. It was in that spot adjacent to Bastion Square looking toward the inner harbour where D'Arcy McGee's pub is now.

It used to be our favourite restaurant. Camille's and Rebecca's were usually where we ate in the mid-'80's when my "in laws" lived in Victoria.

Merlin,

I was one of the key cooks who worked on Rebecca's menu when she first opened up. Exciting 16 hour days. I loved it!!

There have been a lot of us you had passed through those doors - most still working in the biz.

The demise of Rebecca's was due to financial trouble, to be short and sweet.

Every cook or chef that went through there will have a different story to tell about Rebecca and her restaurant. We laugh about it now.

The concept of a food bar, where you could get wonderfully fresh dishes to go, was great.

Last I heard Rebecca was working in a test kitchen for Bon Appetit and then I heard a different story, that had something to do with someone very pissed off at the sound of her name!

But yes, Rebecca's had a great concept. The food bar idea was great. Glad you have fond food memories of that place.

I haven't been to Wild Saffron, but will ask around to see if anyone has gone and hey, I could actually check it out myself.

Later,

s

Went to Bistro Taiyo in Nanaimo last night.

The decor is the old Bistro Entre Amis decor from a few years ago.

I had good tempura, shargai, and spinach with sesame. My husband

had sushi - scallops, very good eel (uni?), spicy negitoro maki.

Next time, I'll try the noodle bowls - they looked good.

Nothing fancy but fresh and simple.

Merlin,

I was one of the key cooks who worked on Rebecca's menu when she first opened up. Exciting 16 hour days. I loved it!!...... But yes, Rebecca's had a great concept. The food bar idea was great. Glad you have fond food memories of that place.

Shelora:

Thanks for clearing up that mystery.

We certainly do have fond memories of Rebecca's.

i can definitely vouch for the wild saffron bistro - in swans hotel, down hall from the brewpub. chef zinger is very artistic - creativity often astounds on the plate - aces for presentation. he is late of vancouver's brix... and they do fondue up right - both savoury and sweet.

they also have chef's nightly sups - 3 courses for $23.95, changing daily depending on what's fresh.

I just returned from Vancouver Island and I had the nicest dinner at Toscano's in of all places, Comox.

If you are in this neighbourhood, I definitely advise you to stop for dinner here.

The wine list is small but very well put together and the food was fantastic.

I was quite surprised at finding a gem like this in Comox as most of the other places were not very interesting to me.

The crab cakes are a must have when dining there and the service was bang on.

All in all, I was quite pleased and when we got the bill, it was very reasonable in the price department.

I highly recommend a stop here while in Comox.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Being back in Nanaimo for a couple of weeks I'm reminded of all the good restaurants around here - I'm sure egullet folks are on vacation soon so if your ever through my town check out:

1) Sake House - Not the first sushi in town (the Grotto was the first - which I worked at for six of it's 34 years) but damn good.

2) Delicado's - down on Wesley Street and by Woodgrove Mall - mexican wraps, tacos, burritos and everything spicy. They will have a location in Ucululet in 2006.

3) Gina's - the original Mexican cafe in Nanaimo across from the courthouse.

4) The Dinghy Dock - catch a ferry from the harbour over to Protection Island and kick back at BC's only floating pub - ask for Karen at the bar.

5) Mahle House - sourcing local ingredients for decades. In Cedar and has the cheapest dynamite wine list in BC.

6) Triskell - Parksville french place just past Mickey D's. It ain't Le Crocodile but you'll appreciate it for all the reasons that it isn't.

7) ACME - downtown Nanaimo across from Port Place shopping mall (origionally Harbour Park) Peter Ertsos has worked his butt off to create a casual hip eatery for all those Nanaimoites that can't stand the usual franchise / chain spots. Check out Dorian who man's the sushi bar......you might not be able to sit there because he has quite the following of young Island women.

I hope some of you might make it to Vancouver Island over the summer - of course welcome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves.

Paul

Mahle House - sourcing local ingredients for decades. In Cedar and has the cheapest dynamite wine list in BC.

Is there a new menu at the Mahle House? What are you recommend to try there these days?

Thanks, working my way up the island soon and want to be prepared.

Thanks,

s

• 2 weeks later...

^ it's a pipe like thing for smoking "stuff" with. A more literate description to be found elsewhere......

Here's a linky

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

AliFood, at Douglas and I think Fisgard, has anyone tried it? Does anyone know anything about it?

Oh yes, hookahs. They are used to smoke flavoured tobacco and the ones they have are gorgeous creations. My heart fills with joy when I see these new developments in Victoria.

Alifood is a huge space and is cafeteria style where you slide along with your tray. The food is Lebanese, a bit of Greek, Persian, samplings of the Middle East. Kabobs, stews, saffron, dried limes, sumac, cinnamon, cardamon and barberry - all those aromatic spicing along with parsley and cilantro. Open until 4 a.m. - hey, you don't have to hang out in front of 7-eleven anymore!

After years of failed Lebanese restaurants in this city, we boast three successful Middle Eastern specialty grocery stores and now two restaurants - Side Dish on Langley just opened up last month, small with a modest one plate only buffet at lunch - Ben Arani's cinnamon and fried green bean rice is heavenly - and simple but flavour-packed stews and kabobs at dinner. Closes at 8 p.m.

I'm off to Alifood for late lunch today - anyone want to join me? Just send me a PM.

I think maybe Alifood needs to be open for awhile to get their kinks out. Mystery foods sitting in steam table far too long - our waitress didn't know what anything was, nor was she motivated to ask. Ended up having a wonderful rice dish with ground meat and beans with a zucchini stew called, Kashk O Bademjan - managed to squeeze that info out of her. Bought some of their cinnamon and nut baklava for breakfast - very good.

Very strange experience yesterday. We ate along with their kids just back from soccer practice and watched cartoons.

The hookah action doesn't commence until late night - now they are open until 6 a.m. on Saturday. Hookah is $12.95 for a bowl, extra bowl, $10.00.