• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Island Restaurants

The Vancouver Sun's Mia Stainsby reviews Brasserie L'Ecole in today's paper - very favourably. The electronic version is available only to subscribers unfortunately, but here's a short excerpt:

Brasserie L'Ecole's kitchen certainly knows what it's doing, which is to offer high quality food, grown and produced in the area.  The front of the house welcomes you with its pliable personality, accommodating romance or fun ...

[Chef Sean] Brennan's food is simply cooked flavourful food with the focus on flavour from primary ingredients. .... Brasserie L'Ecole's streamlined menu is tweaked daily so that regulars can expect surprises on return visits.

Four stars each for food, service, and ambience.

The sad part is that I'm going to the Island for the weekend and Brasserie L'Ecole is closed on Saturday. I'm jinxed - I still haven't managed to get to Victoria on a day that this restaurant is open.

Cheers,

Anne

The sad part is that I'm going to the Island for the weekend and Brasserie L'Ecole is closed on Saturday.  I'm jinxed - I still haven't managed to get to Victoria on a day that this restaurant is open.

We knew the review was coming out so we decided to shut the place down for a long weekend. We try to make ourselves exclusive be not being open.

I don't expect another break until the Christmas holidays. Hopefully you will have another opportunity before then.

Marc

The sad part is that I'm going to the Island for the weekend and Brasserie L'Ecole is closed on Saturday.  I'm jinxed - I still haven't managed to get to Victoria on a day that this restaurant is open.

We knew the review was coming out so we decided to shut the place down for a long weekend. We try to make ourselves exclusive be not being open.

I don't expect another break until the Christmas holidays. Hopefully you will have another opportunity before then.

Marc

I hope so too!

Cheers,

Anne

Marc

I hope so too!

Whiner.

Seriously though, congrats on the glowing review.

Marc

Whiner.

Seriously though, congrats on the glowing review.

:laugh: I was thinking something along the lines of "Must be nice to have those kind of problems!"

Congrats from J & I too. Been too long between visits and unfortunately our next one will have to wait until November.

A.

I had an excellent dinner at Cafe Brio on the weekend. Perfect steak frites and a rhubarb lemon tart for dessert. The frites were crisp and fragrant, and that tart was a delight - clean, clear flavours, nice crisp crust. I really enjoyed the warm and relaxed setting and the friendly service.

I also managed a little tour of Saanich wineries:Marley Farms which specializes in fruit wines - a lovely spot with some interesting wines; Winchester Cellars - where Ken Winchester was offering a barrel fermeneted Pinot Gris, a quite burgundian Pinot Noir and a fruit bomb of a Cabernet Sauvignon, the Chardonnay was sold out (Ducky had a hand in that, I believe); Starling Winery had a big line up of whites, my favourite was the Pinot Blanc, and a nice Blackberry Port. Church and State has a large attractive facility which looks rather underused right now. I gather they've had a number of changes in the past year or so and are regrouping a bit. Of their line-up of wines, I tried only the Pinot Gris and a Cab Franc, which I liked. The only winery we didn't check out was Chalet Estates at the north end of the peninsula. Overall I was impressed with the quality of wines being produced.

Post wine tour we stopped in to Brentwood Bay for a lamb burger and beer at the Brentwood Bay Lodge Pub and Cafe. The burger and fries were mediocre - rather dry burger, rather limp fries - but the beer was cold and the view from the deck was lovely.

Cheers,

Anne

don't forget about marley farm winery - also on the saanich peninsula - about 5 minutes drive from both church and state and winchester cellars. though they're known for their fruit wines, they also do dry grape wines - pinot grigio, pinot noir and blends - - and have a tasting room open year round.

www.marelyfarm.ca

glad you enjoyed your san pen tour barolo! :smile:

I had an excellent dinner at Cafe Brio on the weekend.

Great to hear you enjoyed Cafe Brio. Some amazing flavors/preparations come out of that kitchen.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I also managed a little tour of Saanich wineries:Marley Farms which specializes in fruit wines - a lovely spot with some interesting wines; Winchester Cellars - where Ken Winchester was offering a barrel fermeneted Pinot Gris, a quite burgundian Pinot Noir and a fruit bomb of a Cabernet Sauvignon, the Chardonnay was sold out (Ducky had a hand in that, I believe); Starling Winery had a big line up of whites, my favourite was the Pinot Blanc, and a nice Blackberry Port.

So glad you went to Starling. I agree about their Pinot Blanc. They've breathed some new life into that old dog. Absolutely woof woof.

I do hope you try more than steak/frites at Brio next time- their talents go so much more beyond that.

Edited by shelora (log)

I do hope you try more than steak/frites at Brio next time- their talents go so much more beyond that.

I will, I promise. Sometimes steak just calls, and I have to respond.

Cheers,

Anne

Has anyone visited Panache at Bear Mountain? I was reminded by the blurb in EAT mag, but then upon checking the Webpage I was astounded by the prices. I'm not one to be off put by frivolous spending, but these are among some of the highest I've seen in Victoria (compounded by the a la carte style). Unfortunatly, now I'm just painfully curious.

I'm not sure why anyone would be shocked about the prices in a dining room that is on par with pricing for a "fine dining room." I don't think Panache is set up for the bistro market and the pricing looks fair. Albeit, if you have to pay for the sides on your main course then I would agree to a point. IMHO

Has anyone visited Panache at Bear Mountain? I was reminded by the blurb in EAT mag, but then upon checking the Webpage I was astounded by the prices. I'm not one to be off put by frivolous spending, but these are among some of the highest I've seen in Victoria (compounded by the a la carte style). Unfortunatly, now I'm just painfully curious.

All meat all the time. Is that all golfers want to eat?

I can't imagine paying $7 for a baked potato, or $7 for red peppers. They must be very good! There is a destination/captive market going on there, and they did just give all their cooks a big pay bump. Somebody's gotta pay for it.

-- Matt.

I believe they are trying to set themselves up as a destination golf course, getting onto golfbc etc, and therefore providing the accommodations (Westin) and dining to match. Coincidentally I will be golfing there this weekend, and am curious to check it out. My first impression is that it is too close to Victoria to really be a "destination", yet too far from town to necessarily attract a lot of locals. Then again I thought this of Rosemead as well, so who knows.

My personal idea of golf cuisine is a good grilled dog at the turn and cold pitchers after the round. That is all.

I just had a quick glance at Panache's menu. Seems to me they are trying to fill the high-end steak house niche a la Gotham and the like.

Besides the chophouse in the Marriott does Victoria have competition...or the demand for that matter... in this area? Don't thing the Keg is in the same league. Barclays perhaps? Ever since my in-laws left Victoria...alass no more free "room and board"...we have never gone back there to indulge my father-in-law's Albertan taste for beef rather than fish. Wasn't it a Hy's years ago?

Matt, I agree with the comment about the $7 baked spud and peppers but that seems to be the formula everywhere.

We have a Ruth's Chris franchise opening up...supposedly, lots of rumours of cost overruns and construction nightmares...in the early fall here in Edmonton. Their menu is even more expensive complete with super-heated "grills", expensive "roasts" and high priced sides.

I will be interested to see how it makes out in Edmonton. Personally I do not see it making a go. Not enough money or American business travellers to take advantage of name recognition. I would have thought they would have opened first in Calgary to take on Caesars, Vintage, Smugglers, etc with all the petro-dollars flowing around.

The one thing have going for it is that they appearently have hired Brian Welsh who James Kendall and the "Mighty Q" will know...ex- of Claude's "back in the day", The Westin's Carvery and more recently The Hotel Mac to run the front end. He will bring instant credibility and attract all those diners he has served over the years.

Personally, I do not think it will work but will likely try it at least the one time. It is just not my idea of dining.

The same thing applies to Victoria, if my non -seafood eating wife is so inclined we will likely go to Brasserie or Brio where both of us can get what we want even if she goes back yet again to Marc's/Sean's steak frites.

On Panache's menu I did like the suggestion of fennel-horseradish encrusted halibut if they can get the crust crisp without overcooking the fish.

What is it about butter poached lobster. It seems to be everywhere nowadays on this type of menu. I have never had it. Boiled, steamed then finished by poaching in butter? How is it prepared?

I'm not sure why anyone would be shocked about the prices in a dining room that is on par with pricing for a "fine dining room." I don't think Panache is set up for the bistro market and the pricing looks fair.  Albeit, if you have to pay for the sides on your main course then I would agree to a point. IMHO

if you're reference point is the Aerie, than I can see why you wouldn't be shocked :rolleyes: (friendly poke). I agree, however, if it weren't for the a la carte sides, it wouldn't have seemed so shocking.

I'm curious if it really is true 'fine dinning', since at that price point you'd have to call yourself that - the menu looked tasty, but not especially innovative. For $40-$50 a complete plate, I'd expect some wowers. I suppose, I'm spoilt by the Rosemeade and their creative menus and reasonable pricing. It's an expectation I can't hold everyone to, but it's not that difficult for me to think of a handful of restaurants in the area, who appear at least, to do more, for less.

they did just give all their cooks a big pay bump.

good point and good for them

Besides the chophouse in the Marriott does Victoria have competition...or the demand for that matter... in this area?

true enough, I always figured there wasn't much of a market for steakhouses in this town and what appetite there was, was satisfied by the Brasserie, Brio etc.. -the steak/frites circuit.

What is it about butter poached lobster.  It seems to be everywhere nowadays on this type of menu.  I have never had it.  Boiled, steamed then finished by poaching in butter?  How is it prepared?

Yes, apparently a method invented by Thomas Keller. Details here.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this thread back to ask:

Where is a good place for lunch on a Saturday in Victoria in the downtown (Inner Harbour or close by) area? I'm taking an older relative so the seating needs to be comfortable and sturdy.

TIA

Cheers,

Anne

Well for comfortable chairs, great ambiance, and not bad food, I'd go for the Bengal Lounge in the Empress. They have a curry buffet, but if that's not to your taste, they have tea sandwiches and other menu items. You can have a pot of tea or a gin and tonic and pretend you're in the Raj (BTW, it's cheaper than the high tea elsewhere in the hotel).

You can probably find the menu online at the Empress Hotel's Website.

Milestone's is OK but a bit noisy and crowded.

barolo:

Although not on the "Empress End" of the inner harbour the Blue Crab at the Coast Hotel offers probably the best view of the inner harbour while dining with all due respects to Spinnaker's and the Ocean Pointe's LURE.

It would not be my first or even fourth for that matter suggestion as far as food but it is pretty solid albeit dated. However the view is outstanding, the seating comrortable...I think your relative would enjoy it.

I have heard from a reliable source that Pablo's has been taken over by none other than Jason Leizert. He has spent most of the last year working in Vancouver - maybe some of you have come across him.

He has been sous-chef and chef at some high-profile restaurants, including Shelter in Tofino, Marriott Victoria Inner Harbour, as well as the Rosemeade. Maria Hernandez of the Rosemeade, also Pablo's daughter, is reported to be putting $350k into the aging Victoria landmark.

Given Jason's talent, drive and determination, I'm sure he will do well.

Now if only he can find cooks to help run the place ...

-- Matt.