• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Island Restaurants

Just completed a fabulous Sunday lunch @ Deep Cove Chalet. Two couples, two birthdays. A good old spicy Cesar got the juices flowing - before proceeding with:

Caesar Salad (with anchovy)

cesarsalad.jpg

Consomme Citron (beef consomme with lemon pieces & sherry)

consomme.jpg

Country Pate (with pickles and pitted Nicoise olives)

pate.jpg

Then our mains, accompanied by a bottle of Caves des Papes Cote du Rhone 2003.

vino.jpg

Roast Chicken, served with a simple jus and spinach

chickendish.jpg

Cuvet of Rabbit, with prunes and carrots

rabbit.jpg

Sturgeon, pan-seared in a veal jus

sturgeon.jpg

None of us generally do dessert, but who could resist (especially when accompanied by a glass of Veuve de Vernay) -

Floating Island

floatingisland.jpg

Pear Helene

pear.jpg

Tarte de Tatin

tartetatin.jpg

Grand Marnier Souffle

souffle.jpg

Yum.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

A Zucchini in Victoria

Had a lovely weekend in Victoria. First food mission: get a sandwich to eat on the ferry. I chose a turkey and stuffing sandwich on a ciabatta bun from Kokopelli on Dunbar and it was stellar: (untoasted) moist, day-after-thanksgiving goodness. At over seven dollars, it clocks in a bit pricey since she usually serves them in house with a salad, but in this case, worth every bite.

The first morning I was all fired up to rush to Wildfire bakery because I know they sell out fast, but my hosts were into puttering around and so we ended up puttering around, then hitting Daidoco for lunch. Oh, and I forgot--before Daidoco we had to go to Chocolatiere de Victoria. No chocolates out for tasting--which is weird, but frugal. I like to taste before I buy. Anyway, I bought one box for consumption and one for my Valentine. I wished I'd bought a whole box of the saffron cardamom creams--they are x-rated. The cinnamon cups are also very good. There are a few seats where you can sip hot chocolate and chill out to funky music.

Daidoco, where have you been all my life? I swear, I would eat here every day of the week if I could. Cheap. Organic. Fresh, clean flavors. AND they sell quality green tea AND cream puffs. Diedandgonetoheaven. I also had a green tea cookie--well, I was on holiday!

Voila, le photo:

gallery_29428_2560_4595.jpg

On your left are my boxes of chocolates. On my plate you'll see pan fried lotus root and carrot with spicy soya sauce ($2), steamed gomae with sesame sauce ($2), grilled wild Sockeye with potatoe salad ($3), Tuna Tataki on organic daikon and arugula ($3). The cream puff was $1.50. My friends had daily specials served on a bowl of rice. Everything was delicious, but the tuna was the sexiest.

That evening cocktails in front of the fireplace with a couple of glamorous Victorians :wink: at the Fire and Water Lounge. They were selling some bin-ends and we ended up drinking some Hawthorn Mountain Riesling, if my memory serves me correctly. The smoked paprika fries with lemony homemade mayo were very good. I had to have a Flirtini--which was sparkling wine, cranberry vodka and pineapple, I think. It was tasty, flirty, and made my brain a bit fizzy.

The bartender we had told me that the Sunday brunch at the Oak Bay Marina is top notch, including "the best sushi in town, and a great view." It's $35, but I bet it's a great value. I phoned that night to reserve, and they were all booked up. I will definitely try this next time.

The next day my friends were hell-bent on going to Mole, and I was hell bent on going to Wildfire, so I did both. I whipped down to WF early and ordered a lemon souffle tart, chocolate meringue tart, flourless hazelnut cake with lemon buttercream filling, and a hazelnut fruit tart. I also got sprouted wheat buns and cinnamon buns. Everything was good, but the hazelnut cake was my favorite. The lemon buttercream was very tart and creamy, and every slice had a hazelnut and a little chocolate nut on top. The chocolate tart was like a chocolate soufflé over a berry filling in a pate brisée crust, and made in a similar style to the lemon tart, which was a close third. I don't know why I have to rate them--must be the Olympics on my brain. The cinnamon buns had a thick chewy nutty caramel on the bottom.

gallery_29428_2560_79712.jpg

gallery_29428_2560_15835.jpg

Mole was sunny, funky, and we had good service. I ordered poached eggs over polenta covered (read smothered) in a creamy sauce with red peppers and red onions. The mole was having an identity crisis: "Am I a curry or a paprikash or what???" The eggs and the polenta were fine. I was not a fan of the sauce and isn't supposed to be all about the sauce here?

gallery_29428_2560_6597.jpg

gallery_29428_2560_11472.jpg

Anyhow, on to Choux Choux where we picked up two cheeses I can't remember for the life of me and rabbit terrine. I was supposed to order the pheasant terrine, but somehow my mouth formed the words "rabbit" instead and we had to keep it a secret from the professor. The terrine was very tasty and moist with a mustardy punch. I also brought home some paper thin slices of dried beef. The deli also has amazing lunch specials and I missed out on the rootbeer braised ribs on spaeztle. :sad:

gallery_29428_2560_2805.jpg

gallery_29428_2560_45485.jpg

We also popped by Sally Bun and picked up a couple of selections. I love the room's brightly painted walls. I tasted a spinach feta Sally Bun and felt like it was not in the same league as the kolachy- somewhat dry and dense.

I went back to Chocolatiere de Victoria--Gawd that place needs a nickname and had a chili hot chocolate, which had a real spicy kick. We had fun checking out all the funky kitchen shops--there's a retro kitchen shop just up from Sally Bun. I scored some good thrift store toys for my son and brought home the beef and chocolate for my man. It was a fun trip--thanks for all the good tips from everyone! Lots of good places left to explore for next time.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 1 month later...

After a long absence, Mrs Memo and I visited Cafe Brio the other night.

I forgot how great a dining room it is - for food, service and just the attentiveness of the hosts.

Greg Hays genuinely makes you feel welcome - something quite rare in Victoria.

Wine and food pairing is great, for some - but I really prefer to just sip on a wine I like - like the Juan Gil 2003 Monastrell. (Buy this wine - and buy it now!)

MM and I enjoyed the clams in a wonderful broth which included Choux Choux's chorizo picante.

I followed this with the satisfying Grilled Top Sirloin Steak - with herb-buttered pommes frites, braised shallots & swiss chard. MM wowed at the flavors in the Albacore Tuna Wrapped in Bacon - with fried quail egg, fingerling potato confit, and sauce soubise.

Fo dessert - a glass of Venturi Schulze Brandenburg No. 3

till later

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 2 weeks later...

For our 5th anniversary weekend, J and I spent the weekend at Point No Point Resort, just north of Sooke. Mostly we at in our cabin (DINING details HERE) on some items we picked up at Choux Choux and Wildfire on the way in.

Before we left up island, we met with Shelora for a leisurely lunch at Daidoco:

gallery_16561_2689_5366.jpggallery_16561_2689_9278.jpg

gallery_16561_2689_22117.jpggallery_16561_2689_10417.jpg

Grilled Rice Balls, Gomae, Inari, Ahi

The ahi was amazing ... simply melt-in-your-mouth with a sweet sauce whose ingredients I never discovered. This place is not fancy, but the flavours are clean and honest. We also had a couple orders of toro maki. Again, deliscious.

The meal we had at Point No Point was similar in many ways. The room is not fancy, but the view makes up for that. The food is not as haute cuisine as its neighbour in Sooke, but neither were the prices.

gallery_16561_2689_134466.jpg

Potato & Pancetta Soup

gallery_16561_2689_352645.jpg

Garden Salad - My vote for nicest salad plating in BC.

gallery_16561_2689_194984.jpg

Lingine w/ Grilled Portobello Mushrooms - Perfectly cooked pasta, with a very "light" cream sauce. This was my main.

gallery_16561_2689_178409.jpg

Chicken Confit w/ Roast Taters J's main .... I'm so proud!

We had a bottle of '03 Delas Viognier with lunch ... and then took a LONG walk afterwards.

A.

• 4 weeks later...

Are there other places in the Sooke area that are reasonably priced

to dine at? Planning a trip to Point No Point as well in mid-May, but

can't really afford Sooke Harbour House's prices (plan to blow our cash

at the Wick and The Pointe during the same trip). The restaurant at

Point No Point looks good for one meal, but wondered about others in

the area. We're planning to stay a couple days. Suggestions welcome!

tigh-na-mara may be a beautiful place to stay (haven't been overnight myself) and is definetely the place to spa, but you should also check out parksville's quality resort bayside - - RIGHT on the beach - - and the on-site heron's restaurant - ahh.... that view...

also try the landing restaurant - in the pacific shores, in nanoose. chef colin dunn is an egulleter and could probably enlighten more...

our view is better (we're on the ocean) and enjoy beautiful sunsets. Rooms are difficul to book as we have few that are available as rentals. Our spa is top notch, Tigh na Mara's is also incredible and would be a real treat for the ladies (and some guys). As far as food goes, I like to think ours is better, if anything its different from what they do at tigh na mara. We do fill up fast so its best to make a reso. Patio should be open consistantly pretty soon, as well the menu should be changing soon (if I can get some staff to cook it) to a lighter summer menu featuring local seafoods and produce.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Don't forget to pull into Little Vienna Bakery for your morning baked good. Unforgettable butter croissants and apple struedel and caffeine fuel provided by Victoria's little darlings, Caffe Fantastico.

And if the thought of yet another gourmet meal has you sighing, how about a dose of Vitamin G (grease)with Father's Fish and Chips. Right on the highway.

Dear Feedbag,

Little Vienna Bakery on the way to Sooke H.H. and Point No Point. , #6 - 6726 West Coast Rd., 250-642-6833m www.littlevienna.com

Father's Fi and Chi is located just before downtown Sooke in a trailer on the right hand side.

I'd like to recommend a copy of the Eating & Drinking Guide a stellar magazine format guide book, published annually by Vancouver Magazine. Included in the book are the best establishments on Vancouver Island (including Tofino), Vancouver and the burbs, Whistler and the Okanagan. Oh so handy.

I'm the chef of a new restaurant in Tigh-Na-Mara's Spa, called the Treetop Tapas & Grill. We offer 5 course tasting menus every Saturday night and you can see the menu at Grotto Spa Cuisine. Great food in my opinion, but I may be a little bias. Also, the main resort does comfortable, fare, nothing cutting edge, but good honest food. They do a great job on Sunday brunch too. I hope this helps and I would love to have a fellow egulleter at my tasting.

Cheers

Edited by ChefCartner (log)

One of my favourite places on the island is the Blue Bayou - a little Cajun/Creole style restaurant on Brentwood Bay. Beautiful location (waterfront dock) and great cajun inspired food. Two of my favourites are the crab/shrimp cakes and the fisherman's basket. Paired with a local Chalet Gewurtz, it is a perfect way to spend a peaceful evening.

Will try to get up island this summer for a visit to Chef Cartner's Tastings at the Treetop Tapas & Grill.

I'm the chef of a new restaurant in Tigh-Na-Mara's Spa, called the Treetop Tapas & Grill. We offer 5 course tasting menus every Saturday night and you can see the menu at Grotto Spa Cuisine. Great food in my opinion, but I may be a little bias. Also, the main resort does comfortable, fare, nothing cutting edge, but good honest food. They do a great job on Sunday brunch too. I hope this helps and I would love to have a fellow egulleter at my tasting.

Cheers

The menu sounds great. I assume from the word "Tapas" that we could come there and order a la carte?

Brenda we are open 7 days a week for spa guests and offer a full tapas menu. Unfortunately for the 5 course menus it is done as a single seating service so the menu is set, however we are always willing to work within allergy concerns, likes, dislikes that sort of thing. Would love to have you there and thank-you for the positive feed back.

Sincerely

Chef Cartner

Edited by ChefCartner (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Jenna Dashney, the pastry diva at the Smokin' Tuna in Sooke has a fascinating new website. I invite you to take a look at what she's been up to these days.

Butterchik

Thanks for the props Shelora. I am happy to report that the redesign of my website is now online, with more fresh content to come, as fast as I can.

The Smokin' Tuna reopened on May 1st for another season of fine food in the trailer park - new menu format with the same lovely faces (Dauphin, Anna and myself) and new hours, 7 days, 11-4.

And while I'm on this thread, I'd like to recommend Lady Marmalade Cafe on Johnson (corner of Gvmt) for all day breakfast in Victoria. The poached egg "blt" is my standard order - buttery wildfire sourdough toast, perfect poaching, bacon, chipotle mayo, home fries that are actually served hot (my brunch peeve) and a crispy salad on the side. Consistent and quick and under 10 bucks. The rest of the menu looks good too, maybe once my love affair with the blt ends I'll find out. Probably not anytime soon.

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE