• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Island Restaurants

Daidoco has finally re-opened. 60 lbs of octupus is finding its way on the menu for the next while. Do take advantage of Nao-San's gifted treatment of this delectable creature of the deep. And don't forget the tuna tataki. I've missed his cooking these last two months.

The only major renovation they have done to the interior so far is cut down on some of the food display area. This has been done to hopefully cut down on those take out containers.

As renovations by definition go over budget and past deadlines, Brasserie "l'ecole" will be closed for at least an additional week. Hopefully by Friday January 20th the new kitchen will be ready.

I heard they won't be opening until February 1st. That's the first date that appears on their website's reservation page.

Memo, Insider to the Stars

I should have included a disclaimer that I have inside knowledge as I am the janitor/book keeper/web manager/sommelier (or owner, which ever you prefer). I am hoping that we will be open for Thursday January 19th but I have decided not to take reservations until we have opened for business. It was tough calling/emailing all of the people that had reservations for this weekend telling them that we won't be open in time.

As renovations by definition go over budget and past deadlines, Brasserie "l'ecole" will be closed for at least an additional week. Hopefully by Friday January 20th the new kitchen will be ready.

I heard they won't be opening until February 1st. That's the first date that appears on their website's reservation page.

Memo, Insider to the Stars

I should have included a disclaimer that I have inside knowledge as I am the janitor/book keeper/web manager/sommelier (or owner, which ever you prefer). I am hoping that we will be open for Thursday January 19th but I have decided not to take reservations until we have opened for business. It was tough calling/emailing all of the people that had reservations for this weekend telling them that we won't be open in time.

Thank you for the update and welcome to the fold, Monsieur Sparky. Looking forward to the restaurant's new look.

Edited by shelora (log)

Thank you for the update and welcome to the fold, Monsieur Sparky. Looking forward to the restaurant's new look.

I should stress that it's the kitchen that is getting the new look. The dining room will look the same apart from the window treatment that was done last month and a few new shirts I acquired over the Christmas break :wink:

I should stress that it's the kitchen that is getting the new look. The dining room will look the same apart from the window treatment that was done last month and a few new shirts I acquired over the Christmas break :wink:

Are you giving tours to show off?

Err, of the kitchen, not the shirts.

-- Matt.

Edited to add: Hey, wait a minute. I had a dog named Sparky. I thought *he* was the real one?

Edited by Matt R. (log)

I heard you were expanding seating to the "patio" area at the back of the property.

I heard you were expanding seating to the "patio" area at the back of the property.

Partially true. The kitchen renovations will allow direct access to our patio without having to walk through "the line". We are not absolutely sure how or if we will use the patio this year. We might treat it as a Chef's Table and keep it a bit exclusive (of course eGulleters would be moved to the top of the waiting list)

Partially true. The kitchen renovations will allow direct access to our patio without having to walk through "the line". We are not absolutely sure how or if we will use the patio this year. We might treat it as a Chef's Table and keep it a bit exclusive (of course eGulleters would be moved to the top of the waiting list)

Yes!!!! There really is a Sparky!

We have got to organize an egullet dinner there, toots sweet.

Edited by shelora (log)

Any suggestions for the Comox area? Open late (or at least after dark in the summer) would be good, and reasonably priced would be good, too; it looks like I'll be spending eight to ten months there building a golf course, starting in May. Thanks!

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Any suggestions for the Comox area?  Open late (or at least after dark in the summer) would be good, and reasonably priced would be good, too; it looks like I'll be spending eight to ten months there building a golf course, starting in May.  Thanks!

So sorry this has taken so long. I hope we haven't lost you. Courtenay/Comox has a wealth of restaurants for you to enjoy. With more and more urban refugees looking to escape, you will have many options.

Here are a few to get you started.

In Comox, you have Martines - 1754 Beaufort Ave. A small elegant dining option. Very regional seasonal with small solid wine list.

In Courtenay, we got Orbitz for pizza on 492 Fitzgerald, Atlas for something trendy and busy, open breakfast, lunch and dinner. The town is so small you can just wander up and down the main street to find a few more options. A wonderful chocolate store called Hot Chocolates is not to be missed.

This should get you started.

It's all reasonably priced. Have fun and don't work too hard.

S

Needing a mini vacation our choice as usual, was Vancouver Island...to eat!

The only problem is, I forgot to write down what we ate, so from memory.....

First stop was the town of Cedar, near Nanaimo. Lunch was at the cozy CROW & GATE PUB, where we had pints of Fat Cat Ale, along with the very best (pan- fried) oysters we've ever had! So sweet!

On to Victoria.....

Dinner that night was CAFE BRIO. We started with a romaine salad, then I had grilled sablefish with baby beets & garlic mashed potatoes, while my husband had a fillet of beef with merlot sauce, frizzled (deep-fried) onions, & pureed celery root. Glasses of white wine for me, red for him...good, but don't remember the names.

Day two, out for a drive...lunch was at THE LOGHOUSE PUB in Langford. Along with pints of Keith's, we shared a Halibut Burger & fries, saving our appetites for dinner at PAPRIKA that night.

Sitting in the "Wine Room", I started with a salad of roasted baby beets, fennel, orange, & gorgonzola. My husband's appetizer was the house-made sausages served with pickles & mustard. Mains were... cassoulet for me, & grilled sablefish for him. Delicious! We had a bottle of Louis Latour Pinot Noir , suggested by our excellent waiter.

Dessert was lemon crunch ice cream..again house-made, & perfect after a rich meal.

MO:LE for lunch. Very small & very busy place, even on a weekday....ended up almost sitting on top of another couple. We each had egg dishes from their all day breakfast menu, & thought our choices were just okay. Coffee & the following refills were barely warm... but our server was efficient & friendly.

Stopped in at CHOUX CHOUX deli while out for a walk that afternoon. Gazed at the delicious looking cheeses & cold cuts, but only bought some beer mustard & smoked paprika to take home.

Dinner that night was the beautiful ROSEMEADE, at the former OLDE ENGLAND INN. We've stayed & eaten there in the "olden days", & couldn't believe how they've fixed the old girl up!

Our meal started with a tiny complimentary amuse buche of smoked venison served over potato salad. My appetizer was a crab cake, with creme fresh & sauteed spinach , served over a poached egg. Sounds odd, but was so good! My main was herb braised lamb cheeks with parsnips three ways.. deep fried, grilled, pureed. The flavour of the lamb was good, but I found the cheeks to have gelatinous sections that put me off. (Reminded me of the cod's tongues we had in Newfoundland in that regard.) My husband had grilled Alaskan scallops served over pureed celeriac, & he loved them. The restaurant manager Mark came out to discuss wine with us, & he turned out to be the waiter we had last year at PAPRIKA. (ROSEMEADE made him an offer he couldn't refuse.) He steared us to a bottle of Cowichan Valley BC wine...Glenterra Pinot Noir 2004. He came over to talk to us several times during the evening, & ended up giving us a complimentary dessert trio. It consisted of a chocolate truffle mousse, green tea creme brulle, & custard with citrus raspberry sauce. Lovely room...lovely food!

I'm visiting snowbird friends in Victoria on a weekend in the near future. I'm okay figuring out dinners, but never sure who is and isn't open for breakfast, brunch or lunch on Saturday/Sunday. Which hotspots are open? I'm looking at moderate to low budget.

Where can I go for my chocolate fix?

Which wine store should I hit?

I'll be in the downtown area.

Mucho Thanks,

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I'm visiting snowbird friends in Victoria on a weekend in the near future. I'm okay figuring out dinners, but never sure who is and isn't open for breakfast, brunch or lunch on Saturday/Sunday. Which hotspots are open? I'm looking at moderate to low budget.

Where can I go for my chocolate fix?

Which wine store should I hit?

I'll be in the downtown area.

Mucho Thanks,

Zuke

Zuke, you'll dig Mo:Le for breakfast and lunch. (mini-Zuke will likely dig it, too). Temple is open for lunch, too. John's Place is kid friendly but menu boring. Ever tried Rebar? Interesting food...

There's a Rogers on Government St. off Broughton (landmark store - gorgeous). Farther up Government (between Yates and View) is Rocky Mountain Chocolates.

Good VQA store off of Broad Street on Broughton...plus Swan's on Pandora (always seems to have nice RSA wines like Galpin Peak, Boekenhoutskloof, and Meerlust).

Have fun! :smile:

Have fun!

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Andrew, It'll be a weekend sans kinder so I'm going for cocktails!

My choices so far: Chocolat Chocolatiere de Victoria 703 Fort Street

Daidoco- early dinner on friday

Choux Choux

Wildfire Bakery

Probably rebar as it's a fave of mine.

Cuccina in Fan Tan for Saturday lunch-it it open Sat/Sunday?

VQA and Swans.

Temple for cocktails and maybe the chocolate trio dessert.

Rosemeade for lunch? Sat or Sunday? The menu's not online. I've got to get them to e-mail it to me.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West

My choices so far: Chocolat Chocolatiere de Victoria 703 Fort Street

An excellent choice for chocolate. I would like to add that if you are in Sidney, check out the chocolatier Lunns. Their local wine-soaked cherries dipped in dark chocolate bring you to your knees, they're so good.

Daidoco- early dinner on friday

Really early, sometimes they close early if they sell out.

Choux Choux

Lately, they have been serving a $6.99 Plat du Jour. Amazing value.

Temple for cocktails and maybe the chocolate trio dessert.

Don't forget the dark mysterious bar at Brasserie L'ecole and the private confession booth at The Irish Times, if you want to unburden yourself over a pint of Guinness.

The Rosemeade is so exquisite for lunch/brunch or anytime. I'm sure you'll love it.

Will you be travelling with Zucchini Papa? Either way, enjoy the city.

Shelora

Don't forget the dark mysterious bar at Brasserie L'ecole and the private confession booth at The Irish Times, if you want to unburden yourself over a pint of Guinness.

Shelora

How can I resist either of them with of those with your alluring descriptions. I will be sans papa, sans kinder. Sounds like a bar crawl is in order. (The last time I did that I ended up pulling a man's tie through the shared washroom wall at Canoe!)

Sister, forgive me for I have sinned! :shock:

Zuke

--Mae West

I called regarding dining at rosemeade for lunch and was informed they are not srving lunch at present, and have not for some time. That said I imagine they plan to closer to spring. Tried calling to confirm my suspicions but no one answered.

As for cocktails, I would skip temple and head to either the bengal lounge for classic cocktails made properly, otherwise head to brasserie for the same in slightly different surroundings.

As for cocktails, I would skip temple and head to either the bengal lounge for classic cocktails made properly, otherwise head to brasserie for the same in slightly different surroundings.

I would nominate the Marriott (corner of Humboldt/Fairfield, next to the Exectuve House Hotel/Barkley's Steakhouse) for a drink or two in the lounge. Jaymes Ewing and Hector Solares are very good at what they do, and it's a beautiful room. Don't know about dinner, but the "new" chef is very, very capable. I haven't heard too much since I left ....

For lunch, try Sally Bun on Fort, near Cook. They run about $2.75 each, and one is enough for lunch. I gather they are similar to a kolachy, and they are delicious. Also on Fort near Douglas is the Dutch Bakery. I probably give it too much credit for nostalgia's sake, but it's also excellent for a light lunch, or afternoon sugar/coffee hit.

Also, Spinnaker's is a very nice, short walk (or bus or taxi) trip from downtown. Excellent beer and food. I have yet to have a bad meal there. Except for the fish and chip incident, which I should have seen coming.

Happy hunting!

-- Matt.

Edited by Matt R. (log)

I would nominate the Marriott (corner of Humboldt/Fairfield, next to the Exectuve House Hotel/Barkley's Steakhouse) for a drink or two in the lounge. Jaymes and Hector are very good at what they do, and it's a beautiful room. Don't know about dinner, but the "new" chef is very, very capable. I haven't heard too much since I left ....

For lunch, try Sally Bun on Fort, near Cook. They run about $2.75 each, and one is enough for lunch. I gather they are similar to a kolachy, and they are delicious. Also on Fort near Douglas is the Dutch Bakery. I probably give it too much credit for nostalgia's sake, but it's also excellent for a light lunch, or afternoon sugar/coffee hit.

Also, Spinnaker's is a very nice, short walk (or bus or taxi) trip from downtown. Excellent beer and food. I have yet to have a bad meal there. Except for the fish and chip incident, which I should have seen coming.

Happy hunting!

-- Matt.

Ah yes, Matt. The Marriott for cocktails. I'd forgotten. Hector and Jaymes are two excellent bartenders and the room is cozy by the fire.

It's interesting to hear everyones take on where to go in Victoria. Great suggestions all round.

I'll be on the lookout for Zucchini sightings!

Thanks Matt R. I have been to the Dutch Bakery and LOVE the atmosphere. I'm also a fan of Spinnakers.

I notice there is a cheap oyster happy hour weekdays at the Irish Times. Are they good? If they are I will put an invite up in Dining Friends for those who want to join in an oyster orgy!

I'll put cocktails at th Marriot and L'Ecole on my itinerary. I love these trips because they make me feel like a young Zucchini again!

Thanks also to 300rwhp--regarding food and drink I like strong opinions!

--Mae West

<snip>

Also on Fort near Douglas is the Dutch Bakery.  I probably give it too much credit for nostalgia's sake, but it's also excellent for a light lunch, or afternoon sugar/coffee hit.

Also, Spinnaker's is a very nice, short walk (or bus or taxi) trip from downtown.  Excellent beer and food.  I have yet to have a bad meal there.  Except for the fish and chip incident, which I should have seen coming.

I love Dutch Bakery too, and like you Matt probably mostly for nostalgic reasons. But the meat pies... And the cherry tarts...

Spinnakers - good place to find a low-yield bottle, or at least that's my impression. Last year they were one of the only places where I could find La Frenz montage and if you check out their website (link to Spinnakers Spirit Merchants), it gives quite a comprehensive list of bottles in stock. BTW the La Frenz montage is also available at Canoe, where N and I met Daddy-A and "J" last Xmas to share a bottle and commiserate over growing up / being in Victoria. (JK.) Link here.

Cheers Zuke, have fun. And PS please post any cool neon sign photos in your report. If applicable. :wink:

Great lunch today on our way to the ferry at Swartz Bay. Stopped in Sidney at Fish on 5th, not surprisingly on 5th Street.

Had some great halibut - nice crispy breading, good tartar sauce. Made the right decision in going with the yam fries - also crispy and sweet, paired with a curry aioli. Good eatin'! Just what we needed before sitting in the ferry line up in the pouring rain.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

• 2 weeks later...

Government Street update

We still have the tacky tourist shops, they serve their purpose very well and damn if there isn't a 7-eleven now, but there are signs that Government Street is pulling up its support hose. Along with the newer CFD restaurants along the street (Ric's and the rumoured Earls), these signs of quality change are not only for the seasonal tourist throngs but for us locals aching for something new.

First, a local coffee roaster and purveyor, Mirage, has opened up a beautiful cafe one block from the inner harbour. This is a bold step for a small local independent business. The baristas do that art thang with your cappuccinos and lattes and do it well. Coffee supreme.

Next block, the Mission Hill Wine store is a God send. The dark wood interior, gently lit draws you in immediately and is a welcome respite from the tacky. Wine and tastings, packaged goodies from the winery and local catering celeb David Feys

And in a long deserted restaurant, comes a French cafe. Slated to open in April - name still pending - pastry chef Pierre Bourget (formerly of Brentwood Bay and a stint in Whistler) will bake butter croissants and other French pastries along with 12 kinds of bread. The menu promises to be simple; soups, salads (think duck confit), and a homage to Montreal with in-house smoked meat sandwiches and cold smoked lox.

Rumour has it new place opening in crystal pools.  Anyone hear about this

Maybe it has something to do with the new cafe in the downtown "Y". The city (I think) owns both of these properties. The Y Knott is leased/operated by the same folks who own the Ogden Point Cafe. Pretty good cafeteria style food, with a location you cannot beat with a stick.

Also, what's the word on the new restaurant going in at 1218 Wharf St? This is where Bravo was before they went belly-up. I don't know anything about it, except they are advertising for all positions.

-- Matt.