• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Island Restaurants

Check out the housemade kelp pickles and the chocolate treats made by Jana - who spends her winters pastry chefing in Whistler.

That's not the same Jana who sells pies in Ganges is it?

A.

No Shelora spelled her name wrong. Her name is Jenna and she is not just a pastry chef.

She prefers the title of "Pastry Diva."

And her desserts are worth the trip to The Smoking Tuna alone.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I am adding my vote for the La Pommerie at Merridale Ciderworks. We enjoyed a late lunch last Thursday after a stop in at True Grain organic bakery at Cowichan Bay.

La Pommerie has a vast wrap around deck where you overlook the orchards and rolling hills.

Chef John Waller provided a refreshing take on a Ploughman's lunch with local cheese from Hilary, fresh bread by his wife Tracy, alongside housemade chutney and five different salads - roasted beets with creme fraiche among them, and smoked meats from neighbouring Dutch Deli.

My companion had the smoked ham (also from Dutch Deli) and tomato sandwich. This thing was a monster - sandwich not companion. Simple, fresh, hearty and delicious flavours. Chef Waller shops for daily ingredients from his local purveyors and farms and inspire his ever-changing menu. You can also partake in a tasting flight of Merridale's ciders at the adjoining tasting room or choose from their very smart B.C. only wine list - the Pinot Noir from Winchester Cellars, among them.

Not to be missed during this summer's outings and possible inclusion for the Vancouver egullet challenge. :wink:

Well we had an outstanding but too short visit to the "not so Wet" Coast returning looking like a boiled east coast lobster thanks to the great weather Sunday in Victoria.

First stop was the Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino. Had a terrific time. Thanks to Chris a.k.a. Tofino everything worked out perfectly. Drinking good wine staring out at the waves crashing into Chesterman Beach is a wonderful way to spend the day.

Enjoyed talking with Yvonne Ouwekerk the Pointe Restaurant Manager and one of their sommeliers, Sogol Jalali. Had many good bottles of wine and was particularly impressed by some from the Small Lots Program at Sandhill.

The food at the Pointe has most certainly improved under the direction of Andrew Springett.

I had a lunch course of butter baked halibut that was without a doubt one of the best pieces of fish I have ever had. There was some lemon confit or garnish of some sort that unexpectedly gave the sauce an extraordinary bite. It was topped by a quenelle like sized mixture of finely chopped beets and horseradish that was equally good.

Our other meals were equally good.

Service was top notch. Professional but not pompous. Polished as befits a resort with its high prices but knowledgeable enough to know how to "read" a table to know who are, "sir, madam" v. "Mr. and Mrs" v. "Bob & Sandy".

After a couple of days that flew by too quickly we headed to Victoria where we had another good meal at Brasserie l'Ecole and some appetizers at LURE in the lobby of the Ocean Pointe. I think that LURE will be a nice addition.

We are looking forward to returning in the Fall when we hope to have more time to visit Choux-Choux, Zambri's, Brio, Rosemeade and also get into Tofino to see what Mathias Konradi [sp?] is doing at his cafe/deli across from the liquor store and behind the Schooner.

Didn't know whether to add this to the Farners Market thread or the Vancouver Island thread but as this was the most current...

There is a great article (the 1st of a 2 part series) by Mia Stainsby in todays Vancouver Sun on the Cowichan Valley, Duncan Farmers Market and other great food stops in the area.

I don't have a subscription to the Vancouver Sun on-line so can't link, maybe someone else can.

Edited by FannyBay (log)

• 2 weeks later...

The Zucchini family is back from a fantastic vacation in and around Sooke. We stayed in a lovely cabin in the woods, and spent our days on the beach, lolling about in the hot tub on the deck, and exploring the area. Highlights include afternoon tea at Point No Point, lunch at the Little Vienna Bakery, and a comparative tasting between Rock crab ($4) and a 2 lb. Dungeness ($11). We bought the crabs right from the fisherman who of course, never touches the stuff!

As I write this, the smell of baked loganberries is winding its way up the stairs, as I cooked them in a fruit pudding (modified from the blueberry pudding cake recipe on this month's Gourmet magazine). After I simmered the berries with sugar, I strained off most of the juice, which tastes like raspberries to the power of ten. Loganberries were described to me by our host as "raspberries on steroids."

On the way back we had lunch at the Brentwood Bay Lodge, which unfortunately was disappointing. We've eaten at their pub before (well, outside the pub because no minors are allowed), and I liked that food better.

So those are the highlights, and I will post some details once I get my photos developed. It will take a while, since I'm off to Saltspring Island to do some navel gazing and discover my real purpose in life, I hope!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

This evening my girlfriend and I made it into Oh-Sho Yakiniku (915 Fort St.) for the Yakiniku they serve on Saturday and Sunday nights. The food was fantastic and and it's a really fun to eat with a little grill on the table (a shichirin) and the ability to eat at your own pace.

The meal.

Starters

-Miso Soup

-Takowasa - a great little octopus and wasabi salad that was very delicious

- Shishamo - whole little fish that are very similar to capelin, they arrived cooked, but we found that if you put them on the shichirin for a bit longer and crisped the skin a bit more the texture was much better.

Meat

-kalbi

-fillet - both the kalbi and the fillet had great marinades, we found the yakiniku sauce was almost unnecessary

-liver - excellent with the misochili paste

-tongue - absolutely fantastic, beautiful mouth filling flavour

A plate of veggies was also included to grill, including slices of squash that were very tasty.

Dessert

We had two different ice creams. One maccha flavoured, which was excellent, and the most surprising and delicious taste of the evening was a maple and kinako (fine soybean flour) ice cream that I thought was totally amazing.

They also offer a number of other things to put on the grill, including marinaded and spiced seafoods and chicken. It's a restaurant that definitely has the potential for repeat visits, and it would be a lot of fun for larger groups of people.

Edited by Hugh (log)

I was in Victoria for the first time in 15 years this weekend. I was helping with a 4 and 5 year old - so did not get to eat out at some of the more interesting places. Still it was a fun visit - the local food scene seems very robust.

Got to finally go to a Thrifty's and they reminded me of Stong's. Good quality of stuff, great mixture of organics and conventional products. Giving shoppers a wide range of choices without grandstanding. They have a store in Tsawassen and will be opening a location in PoCo - hopefully expanding towards my hood.

Victoria seems like this crazy mix of Berkely-esque lefty politics and redneck sensibilities. Went to the Luminara and saw what hippies do best - appropriate another culture's ritual (in this case - the Chinese Latern Festival) and make it more shiny, fun, and family oriented. It was great. I got to sample some Shady Creek Ice Cream (a mellow, not too sweet, softly creamy Ginger Ice Cream) and marching behind middle-aged hippies dressed like faeries and medieval fair rejects - it was like a perfect little BC summer moment.

gallery_25348_1380_4033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch in Sooke

We had a tough time finding a place to eat lunch in Sooke. I wanted to eat as much local food as possible. The tourist info place was absolutely friggin' clueless. A couple of days later I figured out something important: if you want to know about anything in Sooke, ask at the Sooke Harbour House where they are friendly, knowledgeable and articulate. There were four people working at the tourist place who had absolutely no clue as to where we should eat lunch and sent us to a biker bar that didn't even allow children in the first place! ARRGH! I turn into a rabid zucchini when I'm starving and it's not a pretty sight to behold!

We ended up eating at a cafe in a gift shop, which served local seafood in dishes seemed to be warmed up in a microwave. Their cakes looked really good, but I took one back to the cabin, took one bite before I realized the bottom was covered in mold. (We returned the next day and they swiftly switched it with fresher baking.)

Then we discovered the Little Vienna Bakery. This place is excellent. Their desserts are awesome, fresh, and their sandwiches are stellar. They have a cheese counter as well. We sat down for lunch, and they were immediately slammed, with one waitress to serve the whole place. She did so well. She kept her cool, stayed focussed and made everyone happy. I ate the best tomato and boccancini sandwich I've ever had in my life.

I took a piece of their cake of the day to eat on the deck of the cabin. It was simply layers of genoise, crushed raspberries and whipped cream. It was like being in the Vienna, in the woods. That's how I like to "camp"!

gallery_29428_1607_4171.jpg

Speaking of which, here's a picture of another way we like to camp: with a glass of unctuous kiwi fruit wine from Marley winery and a piece of Etorki cheese from Little Vienna.

gallery_29428_1607_1022.jpg

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Checked out Lure today. Some Victoria hotels appear to have caught on to the notion that it's smarter to refer guests to their own restaurant rather than an independent when they ask the concierge "Where's a really good place to eat around here?"

These guys make the Empress look every bit her age!

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Checked out Lure today. ..These guys make the Empress look every bit her age!

Andrew, what were your impressions of LURE?

We only had appetizers and glasses of wine [good list] during our stay but will be back out at the Delta come Fall.

Won't keep me away from Brasserie L'Ecole or Brio but when you are staying there and just want to relax and have a bite to eat and some good wine certainly is improved over the Boardwalk and Rickey's that used to be there....the long gone Victorian on the other hand was a terrfic spot to dine.

Edited by merlin (log)

We are going to be in Victoria for dinner Friday night, and I think I have the choices down to Brasserie L'Ecole or Paprika Bistro... somebody help me before my head explodes!! ..which one ?!?

Born Free, Now Expensive

We are going to be in Victoria for dinner Friday night, and I think I have the choices down to Brasserie L'Ecole or Paprika Bistro... somebody help me before my head explodes!! ..which one ?!?

If your head is still intact - hopefully - my gut-level recommendation is Brasserie L'ecole.

If you're familiar with my favorite Seattle restaurant, Le Pichet, then L'ecole is a loose cousin to Jim Drohman's place - but with chef Sean Brennan's great use of Vancouver Island ingredients.

Alternatively, you could have a couple of plates - and a drink - at both places. If you're not driving, though - you'll need to take a taxi out to Paprika (unless you're staying in Oak Bay).

Have a terrific weekend.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

If your head is still intact - hopefully - my gut-level recommendation is Brasserie L'ecole.

If you're familiar with my favorite Seattle restaurant, Le Pichet, then L'ecole is a loose cousin to Jim Drohman's place - but with chef Sean Brennan's great use of Vancouver Island ingredients.

Memo

I'm very familiar with Jim Drohman's place. :wub: It's high on my list too! Thanks Memo!

Born Free, Now Expensive

i vote for brasserie for dinner (make a reservation for 2 for the table in the window = perfect) and pick up george's sausages to go from paprika. delish!

enjoy victoria - the dragon boat festival is this weekend so downtown will be hopping!

I second Brasserie. I had a marvellously simple dinner of steak frite there the other night with a couple glasses of 2001 bordeaux. Fantastic meal. Probably the most sincere dining room in the city. Great people with zero pretensions.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

OK, well despite everyone's kind suggestions here, we decided (well, *I* made the executive decision ;-) to go to Paprika Bistro last friday night. Why? Well, because we have lovely classic French here in Seattle in the form of Le Pichet, Brasserie Margaux, Cafe Campagne... so we opted for something different.

Started with a charcuterie plate, which had a foie torchon, a chicken liver pâté, and a veal sweetbread & duck rillettes terrine. Wowie! These were great. For dinner I had saltimbocca. Now, it was really REALLY hard for me to choose an entree, because I was torn between about 4 of their offerings. One of the specials was the saltimbocca, pieces of veal pounded thin and layered with sage and wrapped in proscuitto. OK, so not very hungarian, but hey, I had to choose something. The SO did opt for something with hungarian flavors: Lamb 3 ways: one was a lamb sausage with olives (killer good) and a ravioli with ground lamb and paprika and other spices and a lamb chop served with something that I can't recall because it was the first thing he wolfed down. Had a Kettle Valley Cab Sauv with the dinner.

I can't believe I didn't order duck here. They had 3 duck offerings, one was a special. NEXT time! er, NO, next time I have the goulash!! er...

I really liked this place, and would go back in a heartbeat. Our waitress was very nice and we had a great time.

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...

I was in Victoria yesterday (feeding my Choux Choux addiction) and went to Mo-Le for an early lunch.

I'm not really certain what all the fuss is about. I mean, OK, the breakfasts looked large - lots of hash browns, the eggs benny looked good, the place was hopping.

However, I had corn fritters which were raw and doughy in the middle, a strange tasting cream of smoked chicken soup, and an OK salad. The salsa that came with the fritters was tasty, though.

The service was very slow and the music was too loud. I think it's better suited to young uns.

For breakfast in Victoria, I'll go for Wlllie's Bakery - nice relaxed atmosphere, quiet clientele reading the Globe, great baguettes with blueberry preserves, and eggs with organic spinach and polenta. Their lunches are good as well.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate Mo-Le!

OK, well despite everyone's kind suggestions here, we decided (well, *I* made the executive decision ;-) to go to Paprika Bistro last friday night. Why? Well, because we have lovely classic French here in Seattle in the form of Le Pichet, Brasserie Margaux, Cafe Campagne... so we opted for something different.

I can't believe I didn't order duck here. They had 3 duck offerings, one was a special. NEXT time! er, NO, next time I have the goulash!! er...

I hear the duck is divine and probably one of the best places for duck (prepared in this fashion) in th province. Mmmm I need to visit victoria shortly!

I wonder if they do weddings heheh

Wes

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch is being served.

Two more lunch options for your downtown Victoria dining pleasure.

Choux Choux has upped the ante by offering deli sandwiches using their housemade deli meats, a selection of salads, hot soup and sausages on a bun. This works great for the grab-and-go office workers in the area, but also for the weary shopper looking to sit down and take a restful and nourishing break.

The Mr. and I enjoyed lunch there the other day. Roasted squash and hazelnut soup was followed by Toulouse sausage on a bun. Condiments - sauerkraut, housemade relish, grainy dijon and sliced cornichons - were brought on a tray by co-owner Paige. We piled 'em on while enjoying some autumn sunshine outside on one of their cafe tables.

Further down Fort Street, The Temple has ever so quietly opened for lunch. Chef Garrett Schack sticks to the seasons with a menu that evokes comfort helping to ride out this cold damp Fall.

Warm potato and arugula salad melds perfectly with chicken confit, Comox Valley camembert and toasted hazelnuts, or try Schack's signature PBLT - pork belly(island maple cured), lettuce and tomato lusciously sandwiched between house made bread.

Quiche seems to be making a comeback and is offered here with one daily pasta feature, daily soup and larger plates with a fish or beef offering.

Looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a couple of days dans le isle . `Twas my first time over there, and we had a blast , thanks for asking.

The Empress link

Ok so when the wife really wants to have 'tea at the Empress', and i do mean really, who the hell am I to tell her different ?.

And to be honest we had a grand ol` time, sipping tea ,eating cakes and looking back at the yanks outside taking photo`s.

This is a lovely place eh ? quite charming in almost a Ritz on Piccadily type way.

The tea was very refreshing, the service was excellent ( not bad considering we were by far the youngest and scruffy-est of the day).

A three tier plate of goodies was presented including :- smoked salmon, coronation chicken, prawn, cucumber and carrot (a bit dodgy this one) sandwhiches.

Scones (scowns/scons depending on what side of the Watford gap your from) and cream and jam, were very good indeed. also on this tier was shortbread and ganache filled chocolate cups.

Top Tier = chocolate eclairs , fruit tarts and lemon curd tarts.

oh yeah and a dainty glass of strawberries and cream to start.

kinda hefty bill tho` $ 115 for two including tax and tip !

Brasserie l`Ecole link

Wonderfull place this . we ate mussels in the classic fashion (white wine/garlic/thyme) was the biggest, fattest, sweetest moules i`ve ever seen. also for starters was an endive, bacon, apple, hazelnut salad with dijon dressing.

Mains, cured pork chop on creamed spinach and lentils (very f@*%ing good) and a sirlion steak with some amazing pomme frites (goodered up with truffle oil, parmesan and parsley)

Two creme brulee`s (both vanilla, one each) for afters and a couple of the house`s chocolate truffles to finish a very, very nice dinner

John`s Place my god, they have a website too !

Two meals taken here. a brunch of waffles. And a lunch of perogies. for johns place think a hybrid of the elbow room and sophie`s. but we enjoyed it .

Zambri`s i`m having trouble with this link , but it is on zambris business cards?

Wow .

food = some bread gnocchiesque dumplings that were pane`d and deep fried, for the life of me i can`t remember what they are called in italian, but they were a delight. very savoury, sagey and light but chewy at the same time. ( oh no that doesn`t do them justice at all ).

A plate of salumi, sardi pasta with sausage and ricotta with crushed amaretto biscuit on top for sweetness , and brasied pork shoulder with polenta. All fantastic.

Spinnakers linkage

Spinnakers, what an absolute gem.

lunch number one here had us eating lamb curry with all the trimmings and clam chowder. and pretty soon we were back for more.

lunch number two = halibut `n` chips and chicken pot pie .

its offical Spinnakers rocks !

You islanders do alright don`t ya , i always thought you were a bunch of hippies with broken watches and bad tailors, But we ate some serious, wonderfull meals at some truly great places. All comparable to whats going on on the proper bit of Canada.

Matt R thanks for your suggestions mate , sorry we didn`t get round to your place, we will on the next trip.

ps the bill at the Empress was the biggest of the trip.

tt

lunch number one here had us eating lamb curry with all the trimmings and clam chowder. and pretty soon we were back for more.

Took my wife to Spinnakers on Monday night for a quick drink after work. I left early that night, so skipped supper at work and decided to order halibut and chips. Good chips, fish was stone cold in the middle, both times !!!!!!!!! Looks to me like they pre-batter huge pieces of fish, that take way too long to re-heat. However, they did comp me an *excellent* burger (a local rancher uses the spent grain from their brewery to feed his cattle, then sells them the beef) and a long island iced tea. :wub:

It was the only bad food I've ever seen there, and the service was excellent. How do you react to "uh, it's cold. Again."

-- Matt

Took my wife to Spinnakers on Monday night for a quick drink after work. I left early that night, so skipped supper at work and decided to order halibut and chips. Good chips, fish was stone cold in the middle, both times !!!!!!!!! Looks to me like they pre-batter huge pieces of fish, that take way too long to re-heat. However, they did comp me an *excellent* burger (a local rancher uses the spent grain from their brewery to feed his cattle, then sells them the beef) and a long island iced tea. :wub:

It was the only bad food I've ever seen there, and the service was excellent. How do you react to "uh, it's cold. Again."

-- Matt

My fish`n`chips ( halibut ) that i had yesterday was great ( but huge ) but the portion was cut from the tail end so easier to cook. maybe they changed there plan of attack with the thick pieces after your incident.

The vinegar you get for your chips is awesome tho .

tt