• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Melbourne

I'm not at all familiar with Clayton apart from 1 visit to Monash University a looong time ago - but I believe that there is a fairly sizeable Chinese-Australian community nearby and it's a great place for higher end authentic Chinese dining.  My baby bro is in Caulfield, not a million miles away - I'll see if he has any recommendations for shopping/eating.

I lived for many years in Clayton, and nearby Mt Waverley and Mulgrave. Clayton, being the home to Monash University's main campus, offers a large number of cheap and good restaurants that cater to students ( as well as a few cheap and bad restaurants ).

For a larger selection of authentic Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants, Springvale -- only 15 mins drive away -- is the place to go. Think of it as Melbourne's equivalent of Flushing, NY or Irvine, CA.

I imagine you'll be getting an Australian English - American English dictionary, if you haven't already? My realization that Australians speak a different language (or at least have a unique vocabulary) came when I wanted to get lunch for the first time in the country. I was told to go to the tuck shop for tucker. Whaaaa?

Tuck shop = (school) cafeteria

Tucker = food

Tuckerbox = lunch box.

RE: American BBQ...

Over here the entire Weber range is available if that's your query. I'm the proud owner of several of their products but the new nylon handles are a major f£$k up.

If you're referring to the huge empty metal tanks used to fire entire hogs, there are some special purveyors who can either get them made up or bring one in. I'd go for a custom job myself.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

RE: American BBQ...

Over here the entire Weber range is available if that's your query. I'm the proud owner of several of their products but the new nylon handles are a major f£$k up.

We found it quite hard to find one ... and it was almost as hard to buy coals for it :hmmm:

It also took a little while to figure out what certain things are : spatchcock, capsicum (which I later realized they also used in many of my English cookbooks), rocket and much more.

I did love the fresh produce. There were things available in the grocery stores I've never seen and I really loved going to a market... I want to say Victoria's market but I can't say if that's it for sure.

Edited by Pam R (log)

It also took a little while to figure out what certain things are : spatchcock, capsicum (which I later realized they also used in many of my English cookbooks), rocket  and much more.

Oh, yes!

AU spatchcock = a small chicken; Cornish hen is the closest equivalent

AU capsicum = bell pepper or chile pepper (you have to figure which one out from the recipe)

AU rocket = arugala

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Regarding the grill, we'll be bringing our Weber with us. It runs on propane. I'm assuming propane tanks are standard the world round? I'll check that out on the Weber site. This is quite an adventure although my 5 year old is terrified since we watched the Nature program on venom. Australia is now venomworld for her :laugh: . We'll get around it.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Regarding the grill, we'll be bringing our Weber with  us.  It runs on propane.  I'm assuming propane tanks are standard the world round?  I'll check that out on the Weber site.  This is quite an adventure although my 5 year old is terrified since we watched the Nature program on venom.  Australia is now venomworld for her :laugh: .  We'll get around it.

I understand her concerns - with some of the deadliest species in the world I didn't understand why my sisters apartment (and most of the hotels I stayed in) didn't have screens in the windows or air-conditioning!

I'm sure they have propane tanks ... but you'll be better off checking these things (as you plan to) before you get there and can't find what you need.

Regarding the grill, we'll be bringing our Weber with  us.  It runs on propane.  I'm assuming propane tanks are standard the world round?   I'll check that out on the Weber site.   This is quite an adventure although my 5 year old is terrified since we watched the Nature program on venom.  Australia is now venomworld for her :laugh: .  We'll get around it.

I understand her concerns - with some of the deadliest species in the world I didn't understand why my sisters apartment (and most of the hotels I stayed in) didn't have screens in the windows or air-conditioning!

I'm sure they have propane tanks ... but you'll be better off checking these things (as you plan to) before you get there and can't find what you need.

Although the snakes and spiders are more venomous (sp?) than in other parts of the world, you will generally not encounter them unless you are in the bush, at which point you are prepared for it. Honestly I haven't even seen a redback scurrying about, and I've lived here my whole life.

The urban Australian environment is no different to any other industrialised city anywhere else in the world.

You can get propane tanks out here. If they don't fit, Weber provide a universal adaptor.

Snakes and things are more afraid of you than vice versa, and I challenge anyone to find a snake in the middle of Melbourne, apart from nature reserves and parkland.

Queen Victoria Market is the place to go in Melbourne for produce, but there are farmer's markets popping up all over the place. The QV though, is a good start for newbies.

Don't forget to get your pet kangaroo right away because you'd need to get your kids trained up since everyone goes to school riding on a kangaroo, the pouch comes in very handy when it rains, otherwise use the pouch to carry books, lunch boxes etc.

Hoo Roo

and Spatchcock = a way of butchering chicken. ie splayed

PCL, :laugh::laugh::laugh: . I'll include a request for the roo but is the joey extra? My kids might be packin' pretty big lunches.

Yep. Not too worried about venomous critters when in Melbourne, my daughter is an alarmist :wink:

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Don't forget to get your pet kangaroo right away because you'd need to get your kids trained up since everyone goes to school riding on a kangaroo, the pouch comes in very handy when it rains, otherwise use the pouch to carry books, lunch boxes etc.

Hoo Roo

LOL! I still remember the first time an American (I think) asked me online in all earnestness whether I owned a pet kangaroo. I told him that we did have one, but we had eaten it the week before last.

PCL,  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: . I'll include a request for the roo but is the joey extra?  My kids might be packin' pretty big lunches.   

Yep.  Not too worried about venomous critters when in Melbourne, my daughter is an alarmist  :wink:

She'll get over it. It has to be a big deal moving halfway across the world.

I haven't been to Melbourne, but I've heard it's a very nice place. Lots of public transport, lots of things to do, and lots of drizzly days (Teehee).

Syrah,

Yeah, it is a big deal. It was just such a thought that motivated this topic. But now that I know we can bring chocolate I'll be OK. Chocolate and Annie's mac-n-cheese since that's my daughter's major comfort food.

Syrah,

Yeah, it is a big deal.  It was just such a thought that motivated this topic.  But now that I know we can bring chocolate I'll be OK.    Chocolate and Annie's mac-n-cheese since that's my daughter's major comfort food.

I'm pretty sure we have Kraft Mac and Cheese here.

Is this the same http://colapt.colesmyer.com.au/fcgi-bin/sa...kObgkB1&aaa=079

If the link doesn't work I searched on www.colesonline.com.au for "Kraft pasta"

you might find this useful, it is stiuated in a suburb called Bentleigh SE of Melbourne, the shop USA Foods, tel: 95765655, they have a website as well, www.usafoods.com.au

yes, they have canned pumpkin puree :wink:

Edited by Dim Sim (log)

Dim sim,

I saw the pumpkin! That's weight off my luggage I can put toward maple syrup.

Actually, I'm really looking forward to working with lots of local ingredients especially as I gather that Melbourne has wonderful seafood and fruit. (And venomous squid!)

OOps, forgot to say thanks for the coles site which I may rely heavily on.

Maple Syrup is widely available. You just need to watch for "Maple Flavoured Syrup" that brands like Greens try to foister upon ignorant consumers. I buy Camp brand Maple Syrup from Bi-Lo and they are the cheaper, less attractive sister of Coles.

I'd still set aside some of your luggage for maple syrup though :biggrin: I always found the syrup I could get in Melbourne didn't compare to the stuff I get here in Quebec, although I'm told that's because they tend to export cheaper blends and keep the good, single-estate stuff here! And it's pretty dear in Melbourne, (comparatively). Although the great seafood and fruit make up for it. If not the venomous squid :laugh:

Edited by Amandine (log)

Just got off the plane from Canberra, into cab, straight to North Fitzroy, Aux Batifolles... 400 Nicholson St.

Thank the gods I live in Melbourne.

Regarding the grill, we'll be bringing our Weber with  us.  It runs on propane.  I'm assuming propane tanks are standard the world round?   I'll check that out on the Weber site.   This is quite an adventure although my 5 year old is terrified since we watched the Nature program on venom.  Australia is now venomworld for her :laugh: .  We'll get around it.

We just brought our Australian BBQ over to Dubai where the previous tenants left their American BBQ. The regulators are a different setup/size, so you may need to get a part in order to use a new tank.

Some other comments...the USA food store is great for when you're desperate for an American product but be prepared to pay a lot for them, of course. I bought frozen cranberries from a distributor in Fairfield so let me know if you need the contact details. They weren't horribly expensive and I wanted them because I love cranberry orange muffins and bread/cake. :-)

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Dim sim,

I saw the pumpkin!  That's weight off my luggage I can put toward maple syrup.

Actually, I'm really looking forward to working with lots of local ingredients especially as I gather that Melbourne has wonderful seafood and fruit. (And venomous squid!)

I think that the squid is actually a blue ringed octopus. These are quite small and very pretty (although you have to poke them a bit to get the colours to develop). I have only ever seen them once in Victoria, but in this case every second rock had one. Locally common.

Snakes are not really a major issue in Melbourne, we had then quite often in the backyard (in the countryside), but they most slither away if they see you. I have even stood on one and it didn't bite.

There are numerous marketes in Melbourne, but I think that the Queen Victoria Market is the most fun. Good for everything. The even sell yabbies and live eels.

Thanks Adam,

Something more to scare my children with. :hmmm:

About the yabbies... yabby étouffée? Sounds really good.

Thanks for the links.

No worries :biggrin: . BTW Not sure what type of gannet you are, but the Australasian gannet is very similar and if you are lucky can be seen in Melbourne (Brighton Pier was the last time I saw one along with a fairy penguin).

At least kids will like it. Also the Melbourne zoo is v good and an hour out of town is the Healsville Sanctury, which is full of native (non-toxin) wild-life.

I'd still set aside some of your luggage for maple syrup though  :biggrin:  I always found the syrup I could get in Melbourne didn't compare to the stuff I get here in Quebec, [...]  And it's pretty dear in Melbourne, (comparatively).

When I last brought maple syrup over from Canada, the equivalent price per litre for standard supermarket brands in both countries wasn't radically different.

An important note: maple syrup which hasn't gone through commercial processing, eg farm-sold syrup, is regarded as a potential quarantine hazard.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Thanks Adam,

Something more to scare my children with.  :hmmm:

About the yabbies... yabby étouffée?  Sounds really good. 

Thanks for the links.

Try yabby mousse or yabby 'pate'... in paranthese becaue you can't have real pate without lard or some kind of organ, in my opinion...