• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"How-to" Seder Guide

JFLinLA

All of the Passover questions -- from Jews and non-Jews, and from the seder pros and the seder novices -- reminded of something. Four years ago I organized a "how-to" class at my synagogue. This wasn't one of those "create your own haggadah" or " how to make your seder meaningful for all ages" classes. The seder meal itself, like Thanksgiving and other holiday meals, can be daunting.

This was intended to provide some practical advice on how to prepare for the big day/evening and how to get everything ready, retain your sanity, and maintain your relationships with your relations.

So I just pulled out what we created for the class, updated it somewhat, and thought I'd share it here. It's intended as a guide and can be adjusted to suit your schedule, style, amount of freezer/oven space, etc. Here's what it doesnt incorporate:

-- recipes: we provided some in the class and it actually turned into a recipe exchange but lots, and lots of seder recipes are provided elsewhere here in eG and elsewhere altogether

-- time for cleaning your house of chametz: if you are more observant and follow that custom, then you're probably already scrubbing

-- Shabbat: this year, preparation is complicated by the fact that the first Seder is Saturday night. If you refrain from work on Shabbat, you will need to back things up even further

Finally, this is based on my own experience of growing up in a family of "balabostas" and all the training that came with that and my own experiences.

Here goes:

SURVIVING (AND EVEN ENJOYING) YOUR PASSOVER SEDER

(FOR LEO BAECK TEMPLE, MARCH 2001 -- UPDATED FOR EGULLET, APRIL 2005)

IMPORTANT SURVIVAL RULES

1. Plan ahead – make lists and schedules.

2. Cook ahead – Everything can be made ahead. Everything!! Besides, many dishes taste better when they are made ahead. It allows the flavors to “marry.”

3. Don’t do it all yourself – Enlist friends/family to prepare key dishes.

4. Don’t do it all yourself #2 - Order some or all of your Passover meal from a restaurant, deli, bakery, or market.

5. Don’t do it all yourself #3 – Get friends/family to help you set up and/or clean-up.

6. DON’T DO IT ALL YOURSELF!!!!!

THE TABLE

OVERVIEW

Use your best stuff:

-- Tablecloths

-- Napkins

-- China

-- Silverware/stainless

-- Crystal

-- Serving pieces

-- Etc.

FOR THE TABLE

-- Seder Plate* (see below)

-- Matzah Plate & Cover with 3 matzahs*

-- Kiddush Cup*

-- Cup of Elijah*

-- Pillow/Cushion*

-- Extra Matzahs (easy to reach)

-- Candles/Candlesticks

-- Wine Bottles/Decanters

-- Water Pitcher(s)

-- Salt & Pepper

-- Extra serving pieces for ceremonial foods: salt water, horseradish, charoset, parsley, etc.

*These items are placed near the head of the table. The pillow or cushion is for the head chair

FOR THE SEDER PLATE

-- Horseradish (raw and/or prepared)

-- Parsley

-- Roasted Egg

-- Charoset

-- Roasted Shank Bone

FOR EACH PLACE SETTING

(Note: You do not need to have each item on the table when you start. Some of these can be waiting in the kitchen for service later.)

-- Dinner plate (for main meal)

-- Salad plate (for gefilte fish)

-- Soup bowl

-- Dessert plate

-- Wine glass

-- Water goblet

-- Coffee cup

-- Large and small fork

-- Knife

-- Soup Spoon

-- Teaspoon

-- Butter knife

-- Good quality paper or plastic plates, bowls, etc.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO HAVE READY

-- Pitcher of warm or room-temperature water, bowl, and hand towel

-- Matches

-- Extra matzah pieces wrapped in napkins (for the afikomen)

-- Additional serving platters, bowls, spoons, sugar, creamer, etc.

TABLE SETTING OPTION #1

Place all ceremonial foods (salt water, etc.) on serving pieces in the center of the table. Seder participants all reach into the center, or pass foods when needed.

TABLE SETTING OPTION #2

Place a nice paper or plastic plate on top of the dinner plate at each place setting. Place 2-4 small portion cups on each plate. On each plate place some parsley, horseradish (raw and/or prepared), charoset, salt water, hard-boiled egg, and additional vegetables (carrot/celery sticks, slice of boiled potato) if desired. Use portion cups for prepared horseradish, charoset, and salt water. Additional horseradish, charoset, etc. can still be placed on serving pieces in the middle of the table. Paper or plastic plate and portion cups are cleared away at the start of the meal.

THE MENU – A TRADITIONAL ASHENAZI VERSION

For the “Ceremonial” Meal:

-- Parsley

-- Salt Water

-- Charoset

-- Horse Radish – Raw and/or prepared

-- Hard Boiled Eggs

-- Matzahs

Optional Items:

-- Red Radishes

-- Boiled potato cut into wedges

-- Carrot & Celery Sticks

-- Green Onions

What About Those Eggs? (2 Traditions)

The hard-boiled eggs are actually the traditional first course of the main meal. There are two traditions for how to eat them. In some cases, each participant takes a whole or halved hard-boiled egg, dips it in salt water, and eats it. In other cases, participants eat “egg soup” – the hard-boiled eggs are grated or shredded, spooned into bowls for each participant, and salt water is poured over the eggs before they are eaten with a spoon.

Shulchan Oruch – The Meal is Served:

Course #1: Gefilte Fish

Course #2: Chicken Soup with Matzah Balls

Main Course:

Brisket, turkey or chicken

Kugel – Matzah, Fruit, or Potato

Additional Vegetable Side Dish – Something that can be prepared and kept warm or served at room temperature

Beverages:

Wine – Passover sweet wine and “good” kosher wine

Water, Soda, and Grape juice -- for the kids and those who don’t drink alcohol

Dessert: Macaroons, meringue cookies, or other flourless treats served with coffee and tea.

SEDER PREPARATION SCHEDULE

This is a sample schedule and can be varied to accommodate your personal schedule, the amount of refrigerator and freezer space you have, how much last minute cooking you want to do, or other variables.

3-4 Weeks Ahead

-- Invite Guests (Assign Tasks)

-- Plan Menu

-- List non-edible things needed to be purchased, borrowed or rented

-- Order any tables, chairs, linens or serving pieces that you are renting

-- Make shopping lists

-- Begin shopping for non-perishable items

2 Weeks Ahead

-- Order any prepared food items from market, deli or restaurant

-- Place special orders with butcher, fishmonger, etc.

1-2 Weeks Ahead

-- Make chicken soup & matzah balls. Put the matzah balls in the soup and freeze.

-- Polish silver, clean crystal or other serving pieces as needed

-- Wash, iron and fold any linens that are needed

1 Week Ahead

-- Shop for perishables

-- Hard boil eggs (enough for each participant plus one to roast for the seder plate) and refrigerate

-- Roast shank bone, cool, wrap in plastic or foil, and refrigerate.

-- Begin any necessary house cleaning.

3-4 Days Ahead

-- Begin making baked goods for desert, store in air-tight containers

-- Make charoset, refrigerate

-- Make gefilte fish and refrigerate

-- Make brisket and refrigerate

-- Begin making ice cubes

1-2 Days Ahead

-- Make kugel and other side dishes, refrigerate

-- Make carrot & celery sticks, store in a plastic container covered with water in the refrigerator

-- Boil potatoes, cool and store in the refrigerator in plastic

-- Wash red radishes, make radish flowers, store in a plastic container covered with water in the refrigerator

-- Make matzah farfel muffins or Passover popovers (kigelach)

The Day Before

-- Set the table including all plates, silverware, serving pieces, etc. that you will need when you sit down.

-- Place empty serving pieces on the table with notes to indicate what will go there

-- For any serving pieces in refrigerator, place notes on table to indicate where they will go

-- Put out salt and pepper

-- Place haggadot at each seat

-- Place bottles of sweet wine, “good” red wine, grape juice and soda on the table. (Juice and soda can be refrigerated if you have enough room. Otherwise, refrigerate later, or serve at room temperature to be cooled with ice cubes.)

-- Remove fat from brisket gravy, slice brisket and return to refrigerator with gravy

-- Peel and roast one of the eggs, return to the refrigerator

-- Peel remaining eggs, or peel and shred remaining eggs. Place in serving dish, cover and store in the refrigerator

-- Wash and dry parsley, cut ends of stems, store wrapped in paper towel in a plastic bag in the refrigerator

-- Clean horseradish root, peel part of one end, cut enough slices for each participant plus extra. Wrap slices tightly in plastic. Wrap remaining whole horseradish in plastic and refrigerate.

-- Grind coffee, measure how much you will need and store in an air-tight container

Early Morning – Seder Day

-- Put white wine in the refrigerator

-- Remove soup with matzah balls from freezer, place soup pot over very low heat. (Keep checking throughout the day. Do not boil.)

-- Place three matzahs in cover on the table

-- Place remaining matzahs on serving plate on the table

-- Wrap “extra” afikomen pieces in napkins and place out of sight, near the head of the table

-- Place charoset, horseradish, carrot & celery sticks, on serving plates or bowls. Cover and refrigerate.

-- Pour cream/non-dairy creamer in pitcher. Cover and refrigerate

-- Set up “dessert-staging” area in the kitchen with coffee cups/saucers, dessert plates, sugar/sweetener bowls, extra spoons/forks, coffee/tea service, and dessert platters

-- Place desert items on serving platter(s), cover and put in “staging” area.

Mid-day – Seder Day

-- Prepare seder plate, cover with plastic and place on the table

-- Set pitcher of room temperature water, bowl and towel on or near the table

-- Place sliced brisket on serving platter, pour some gravy over (enough to keep moist), cover with foil, and place in a low oven (200-250°)

-- Place additional gravy in pot on stove over low heat

-- Set gravy boat near stove for easy service later

-- Cut kugel and place on serving platter, cover with foil and place in a low oven

-- Set-up dinner “staging-area” with plates for gefilte fish and room for serving platters and spoons you will need for the main course

-- Remove other side dish from refrigerator, place on serving platter, cover and set in dinner “staging-area”

-- Put pre-measured coffee and water into coffee maker

-- Set soup bowls near the soup pot to allow for easy service

-- Mix salt water in a pitcher, set aside

Last Minute Preparations – Seder Day

-- Place refrigerated seder items on the table – charoset, parsley, horseradish (raw and/or prepared), eggs, potato, red radish, carrot and celery sticks

-- Remove plastic wrap from seder plate

-- Place salt water in bowl(s) or individual serving cups on the table

-- Set remaining salt water aside for refills or for “egg soup”

-- Fill ice bucket and place on the table

-- Fill water pitcher(s) with ice cubes and water, place on the table

-- Place remaining cold drinks on the table including white wine

-- Open wine bottles

-- Fill Elijah’s cup

-- Fill water glasses with ice cubes and water, or soda if guests prefer

-- Make the coffee – Keep warm in coffee maker or in thermal carafe

Finally, enjoy yourself! Remember, there is more than one reason why you have lots of wine on this holiday.

Chag Sameach and I hope you all find the afikomen!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Characteristically both helpful as well as well conceived!

Beautiful and a model of how one ought to plan a seder (or two).. should we follow the timeline and just rinse and repeat for the Second Seder?

Yasher koach (may your strength increase) to you for the entire holiday, JFL!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

4. Don’t do it all yourself #2 - Order some or all of your Passover meal from a restaurant, deli, bakery, or market.

Or you could just order it all :raz:

Seriously, this is fantastic. I know many people who could use your plan - it would make a great beginning to a passover cookbook.

I am concerned with your plan to invite people 3-4 weeks in advance... in my family plans are made as soon as Yom Kippur is over!! :wink: Maybe for normal people 4 weeks is enough?

Chag Sameach!

This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it. Last year was the first time I hosted and I really didn't quite have it all together (plus my mother was in the hospital until about 4 days before so things were a little crazy.) I do have a shopping list and I'm mostly on schedule having bought a lot of non-perishables. However, I didn't really have a game plan. Your suggestions will definitely help me over some of those rough spots.

Thank you again.

jayne

Characteristically both helpful as well as well conceived!

Beautiful and a model of how one ought to plan a seder (or two).. should we follow the timeline and just rinse and repeat for the Second Seder?

Yasher koach (may your strength increase) to you for the entire holiday, JFL!

Rinse & repeat . . . year after year. :laugh:

Rinse & repeat . . . year after year.  :laugh:

Because there are so many meals that week, and since we don't eat out at all on this holiday, I often feel as if I were attached to some unseen "umbilical cord" which is just long enough to allow me to serve meals in the dining room and scurry back to the kitchen sink ... quite a visual ... :hmmm::laugh: and don't forget the multiple vacuumings to pick up the flying matzo crumbs scattered all over ... :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Your guide was really great. I took over doing Passover from my mother-in-law five years ago when it became too much for her. I had no probelm cooking as I am lucky enough to have someone helping me at home and I love to cook. My problem was the seder.

For many years my father-in-law just read - in Hebrew- straight from the Manishewitz Haggadah - HOW BORING!!! When my son and nieces and nephews were old enough to participate I put an end to that tradition. The purpose of Passover is to tell the story. As English is our primary language we now tell the story, interspersed with songs and jokes and Passover is a fun holiday.

Chag Sameach!

Can I suggest 2 additions to the guide?

Count the Haggadahs, dinnerware, silverware, wine glasses

Check supply of containers for leftovers (and "doggie bags" if you plan to send food home with guests)

Our seder seems to be growing daily. Good thing I didn't call the butcher yesterday because I was only up by 1-2 adults and a 3-yr old. Today, I'm up by an additional 4 adults and a 1-yr old and I just realized that I don't have enough Haggadahs. I'm thrilled everyone is coming but I'm getting kind of nervous about it.

jayne

Can I suggest 2 additions to the guide?

Count the Haggadahs, dinnerware, silverware, wine glasses

Check supply of containers for leftovers (and "doggie bags" if you plan to send food home with guests)

Our seder seems to be growing daily. Good thing I didn't call the butcher yesterday because I was only up by 1-2 adults and a 3-yr old. Today, I'm up by an additional 4 adults and a 1-yr old and I just realized that I don't have enough Haggadahs. I'm thrilled everyone is coming but I'm getting kind of nervous about it.

jayne

Jayne -- Great suggestion! I'll add a step, before you order tables, linens, etc., to count out your guests, list what you need to have, figure out what you need to get, and where you can beg, borrow, steal or rent it from. While plates and utensils can't be shared, Haggadot can.

I'm so glad people are finding this useful. It is intended to be a guide, not the last word at all. Please change, amend and adapt to meet your own needs.

Jody

• 10 months later...

Okay everyone. Time to bring this up again. This thread starts with my "how-to" guide that I created a few years back. The temple has asked that I teach the class again in 2 weeks so, I would love any input you have. What have I left out? What are some creative ideas you have? What's the best advice you ever got about hosting a seder? And, what about great ideas for dining the rest of the week?

Remember, while I have not included recipes in this thread, we definitely do that in the material for the class as well as some basic holiday background . . . but this is definitely focused on the big event itself.

Jody

I would also suggest having Haggadot that are specifically for children and print out pictures for them to color (depending on their age). This gets them involved in the seder. Ask them questions during the seder; it will encourage them to ask.

This is the one I like for children:

Children's Haggadah (I couldn't find it in Amazon)

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

First off - I think it's great that you teach a class. That is the most detailed guide I have ever seen.

Secondly - we're Italcim (read: Jews from Italy) so most of our food is really different from what you stated above in the recipes. (I never got the hard boiled egg thing. Oh well).

Third - here are a few of my family's traditions. They're not so much how-to as fun family activities and ones I don't often see at other's seders.

1) The matzah hunt is not preformed by the kids. Instead, the kids steal the matzah, hide it from their parents, the parents try to find it (don't), and then barter with the adults to give it back.

2) The telling of the story is round robin. One person starts off wherever they want (creation, Abraham, Joseph and his amazing technicolor dream coat) and then the story progresses around the table.

3) We have everyone that comes bring a dish (usually munchies, apps, desserts or wine - we make the main courses in house)

4) Our seder is really stress free. We only start cooking about 2 days before hand. Lists are pretty big, but we try not to stress. It's a multi course meal - how hard could it be? :raz:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Gini -- Thanks for the input. I love hearing and sharing about everyone else's traditions because, ultimately, each family has to find what works for them. I'll definitely throw some of these ideas into the class.

As for Italian type dishes, I'd love to know more. Would you be willing to post a menu of the dishes you serve? And maybe even provide a recipe or two?

I'm already enhancing the version you see here to include a typical Sephardic menu along with the Ashkenazi one.

Since you mentioned it, here's a tradition that my family created. First, let me point out that I grew up in a politically very liberal family. So, in the early 1970's, one year, we had a guest who spontaneously started adding plagues after the first 10 -- Watergate, the War, Nixon, Haldeman, etc. We were in hysterics and the tradition stuck around for many years. For some time, my one brother really took it upon himself to draft up a set of plagues based on current events that were also witty and humorous. He stopped doing that and it started to turn ugly with people mentioning things or people they didn't like that they really wanted to wish plagues upon. So, we stopped that. However, it was great for a long time. (Note to self, e-mail brother to get his brain working on "modern" plagues.)

Our menu:

Cold poached salmon on a bed of aspargus

Matzah ball soup

Grilled marinated lamb served with saffron rice

Whatever green veggie is in season

Maccarone - Almond macoroons

Incidently, we've always had brisket for Hannukah, never for Passover. I don't know why. Oh and our seder plate favors green onions over horseradish. I think our haroset might be different too - we use dates, apples, walnuts, and apricots. I think ashkanazi only uses apples and raisins?

That's a cute tradition you have there regarding current event plagues. Our table talk always seems to turn to politics anyway!

Actually, chicken soup with rice would be more traditional, but mom has some friends who are of the Eastern European descent over, and they love their matzah balls. I really hate it, but what can you do?

Also, for eating during the week - matzah fritters (I think this is like matzah bry?) and lots of almond cakes. Oh, and artichokes. My god do we eat artichokes.

Edited by gini (log)

Actually, chicken soup with rice would be more traditional, but mom has some friends who are of the Eastern European descent over, and they love their matzah balls. I really hate it, but what can you do?

Also, for eating during the week - matzah fritters (I think this is like matzah bry?) and lots of almond cakes. Oh, and artichokes. My god do we eat artichokes.

WONDERFUL check list and schedule.

May I add my two cents (not plain)?

Passover is a great time to get to know the SUPER wines from Israel, LOTS of

them in the stores for this holiday. Yes, there are many from other locales, but

isn't time for you to get to know what's doin' in the "old country?"

On another note, several years ago I made a change from the "typical" charoses

that we'd always made and the results are dramatic. I figured out that walnuts and

apples didn't grow in Israel at the time we first celebrated, so I switched to all

fruits that I think came from the area. It is a labor (of love to be sure) to dice

dried apricots, figs, dates, dried plums and mix them with finely chopped almonds

and an Israeli muscat wine. Using the dry fruit gives a different texture that using

fresh......but if that is your inclination, who am I to differ?

Ted Task

WONDERFUL check list and schedule.

May I add my two cents (not plain)?

Passover is a great time to get to know the SUPER wines from Israel, LOTS of

them in the stores for this holiday. Yes, there are many from other locales, but

isn't time for you to get to know what's doin' in the "old country?"

On another note, several years ago I made a change from the "typical" charoses

that we'd always made and the results are dramatic. I figured out that walnuts and

apples didn't grow in Israel at the time we first celebrated, so I switched to all

fruits that I think came from the area. It is a labor (of love to be sure) to dice

dried apricots, figs, dates, dried plums and mix them with finely chopped almonds

and an Israeli muscat wine.  Using the dry fruit gives a different texture that using

fresh......but if that is your inclination, who am I to differ?

Ted Task

Could you recommend a few Israeli wines? Each one I've tried I've completely failed with. Would love your help!

I make my haroset with dried fruits too. I love the texture and the concentrated taste. Especially the dates and apricots. YUM.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help and input. We did the class last Sunday and it was a hit and tons of fun. The How-to Guide that I included at the top when I started this thread has been tweaked with more info on traditions and we included a Sephardic menu as well as a bunch of recipes.

I'd be glad to e-mail anyone the complete PDF version. Just PM me with your e-mail address and it will be on its way.

Jody

Incidently, we've always had brisket for Hannukah, never for Passover.  I don't know why.  Oh and our seder plate favors green onions over horseradish.  I think our haroset might be different too - we use dates, apples, walnuts, and apricots.  I think ashkanazi only uses apples and raisins? 

That's a cute tradition you have there regarding current event plagues.  Our table talk always seems to turn to politics anyway!

Many ashkenazim have 2 spaces on the seder plate: chazeret and maror. Chazeret is used for 'maror' (dip in charoset) and maror is used for 'korech' (hillel's sandwich). Confusing isn't it?!

Most common tradition is romaine lettuce ('bitter vegetable') for chazeret, and horseradish ('bitter herb') for maror.

Ashkenazi charoset is apples, wine, walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon. Or so it is by us (Poland/Lita).