• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach extract--HELP

scordelia

The lorann line is marginal, peach is a hard flavor for the best companies to reproduce.

What do you want to put the peach flavoring into? In my experience you can't get a great peach flavor from anything but a real peach. The only way I know of to kick up peach, is using a compound or buying a puree which is very intense.

The lorann line is marginal, peach is a hard flavor for the best companies to reproduce.

What do you want to put the peach flavoring into? In my experience you can't get a great peach flavor from anything but a real peach. The only way I know of to kick up peach, is using a compound or buying a puree which is very intense.

The peach extract is needed to make a peach flavored buttercream for a layer cake.

S. Cue

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Watkins? How are their extracts?

I found them on-line, and was hoping for a review before I bought.

I checked out the peach paste (thank you for the suggestion), which sounds good, but I do not need a 1-kilo tub. This is just home use.

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

Rather than start a new thread for my question, I'll ask it here: Can anyone recommend a good banana flavor agent that I can buy in semi-small quantities? I don't care if its powder, oil or alcohol based, or if its natural or artificial, only whether it gives a good banana flavor with no off-tastes.

PS -- was looking at Dreidoppel compunds, which come recommended, but have to buy in larger quantities. Might buy this anyway, but wanted to check it anyone knows where to get smaller quantities of flavor compound.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

there is a creme de peche which is pretty good, never tried it for buttercream, but it tastes very peachy in a drink!

I think I've seen a similar banana creme, but I dont love bananas so passed on that

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Rather than start a new thread for my question, I'll ask it here: Can anyone recommend a good banana flavor agent that I can buy in semi-small quantities? I don't care if its powder, oil or alcohol based, or if its natural or artificial, only whether it gives a good banana flavor with no off-tastes.

PS -- was looking at Dreidoppel compunds, which come recommended, but have to buy in larger quantities. Might buy this anyway, but wanted to check it anyone knows where to get smaller quantities of flavor compound.

Albert Uster carries a powdered banana flavor which is freeze-dried. Believe it's a Fruita Prima product. Their website is www.auiswiss.com

I've purchased Dreidoppel from Euro Source Gourmet but I usually buy one case at a time (6 jars of compound).

Amoretti has a banana compound but I've never tried it. They're really good about sending samples though so you can call and ask for a sample.

Is there a peach liqueur you could use?

Peachtree Schnapps is very Peachy--and Southern Comfort is made from Peaches, too--not as strong a flavor, but pretty nice in general--especially if you don't mind the alcohol.

For the Buttercream, has anyone ever used Jell-o for an ingredient in it? They have a peach Jell-o that's pretty good. It has the geltain in it, which shouldn't really hurt frosting an small quantities--and a teaspoon or so might give enough flavor and nice color, too. I may try it and see what happens.

It's not the destination, but the journey!

scordelia asked:

Has anyone tried Watkins? How are their extracts?

Those of us of a certain age remember the Watkins man coming round to the farm door and Watkins vanilla in the cupboard. I haven't used Watkins since then, except for a linament and a salve, but personally, I wouldn't buy a Watkins spice or flavoring without a sample first. Watkins now sell from kiosks at malls from time to time so you could check their products out ... Susan