• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

River Edge, Oradell, Emerson, Hackensack

dodge621

I tried sanduccis in River Edge - nothing to rave about.

Anyone been to a new place in River Edge called Babylon next to the Huffman Koos.

How about Dinallos? worth a try or another italian below par place

Or Shanghai or FUki Sushi

Fuki Sushi - looks like a dive for a Japanese place - i drove by a few times and see no one inside

Oradell - nothing there as I see  

Emerson - anything besides the Arthur's (I passed a decent looking place on the NOrth bound side of Kinderkamack) but did not see a name associated with it?

Westwood - I tried a nice Chinese restaurant there that was good cannot remember the name  - but service not very good

they also have a place in Englewood and Closter (i think it is called Hanada)

Anyone who has been to the new East what number would you rate it 1-10?  I stopped going years ago as I hated the whole thing with taking ones shoe's off and the service was inconsistent)

- I recently tried Kuma in Paramus (the service was horrible)

I do like and recommend Veggie Heaven in Teaneck for a nice change of pace - try the Mongolian Beef this to me is the best dish there

I also saw an ad for a Middle Eastern place on Main Street in Hackensack (cannot recall) name that is only open Wed-Sun nights(and Sun. brunch) has shows on Fri&Sat. ) anyone tried it

Hackensack - Brooklyn Pizza, Potrero Grill for mexican, White Mana (hamburger dive), Cubby's BBQ

Oradell - Badlands Tacos

Cresskill - Roadhouse (bar & grill)

We thought the Kuma in Paramus was OK, better than the one in Englewood. But better is to just drive to China 46 in Ridgefield Park.

I don't really know Emerson, Oradell or River Edge very well. If you find something worth going to let us know.

East in Teaneck is now Kaitan sushi. That's where it goes around on a conveyor belt and you pick up what you want and then they count your plates at the end to do your bill. The sushi is OK, not the best, but good for when you are in a hurry or going out with friends, kids love it. Real tables, not taking off your shoes and sitting on the floor.

Some of the best sushi can be had at Wild Ginger in Englewood.

Has anyone here been to The Restaurant in Hackensack? I may be going there soon.

America and Jerry's Osteria in Tenafly are both excellent and worth the drive from anywhere in the area.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered  a chicken from Fink's in River Edge. Shugga - it was raw on the inside. did not return it since take out but the place is good I hear if you like greasy food but uncooked chicken no thanks.

How about Il Mulino. Any good?

Sorry about Fink's.  I've only had their ribs, and they were good.

Mulino's is in Dumont and it is very good.  Owned by Cafe Italiano people in Englewood Cliffs.

Re: Roadhouse in Cresskill, never really liked it.  I'd Rate it the same as Sanducci's.  Crowded,

lots of noise, and lots of kids.

But we do like Ciao Bella in Cresskill.

And Andiamo's in Haworth.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Oops, I posted that post above as Jason, but I wrote it. Whatever (no, we are not the same people, just sometimes share the same computer).

Roadhouse is good for a casual weeknight, burgers, sandwiches, etc. I consider it like TGIF (which Jason won't ever set foot in), but with better food.

I forgot about Cafe Italiano Restaurante, which I think is in Fort Lee, not Englewood Cliffs. Excellent place, stupid name.

We keep trying to go to Ciao Bella, but never have a reservation (do they even take reservations?) and can't stand the lines. The turkish place, Samdan, right across from it is very good though. BTW - the fish market in Cresskill on the main street, near the corner of Piermont Rd, is excellent.

Jason, I've been to  The Restaurant (Hackensack) few times -- it's OK, nice bar & piano music, however, they do have a nice brunch -- on the order of South City Grill (rt 17 s. Rochelle Park - before Essext St) not outragious choices, limited but quality.

Also in Hackensack is Capri Mia - you really have to look for it even though it is on Hackensack Ave (River St) - professional/friendly service, pretty traditional though every now and then the chef breaks out something original - fresh seafood --

In Little Ferry, Cafe Amifi (Main Street - just off Rt 46) is like a secret hideaway, large coffee bar, amazing homemade desserts & icecream concotions, and despite the name, this "irish" restaurant makes outstanding traditional dishes such as potpies...it's like a scene from the TV show Friends, a cozy fireplace, a sofa, big fluffy chairs --

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I own Fink's to the person who had the "raw chicken"  It was a smoked chicken, it is slow cooked to 160 degrees in our smoker, this smoking process can turn the meat around the bone red.  The chicken is then refrigerated and cooked on the grill to order, again bringing it up the fully cooked temperature of 160.  All good BBQ has a redness in it, it usually presents itself as a 'smoke ring' A red ring around the outside and surrounding the bones. THIS IS A SIGN OF GOOD BBQ, NOT RAW CHICKEN.  If you had put that "raw" chicken in your microwave for five minutes it most likely would still be redish at the end.  If you look at our ribs they have the same smoke ring, giving the meat around the bones a pinkish tinge, again a result of the long slow smoking process.

Having said all that, no one is perfect, it is possible that you got a larger chicken from a batch that may not have cooked all the way through as we do check the temperatures with random samplings from each batch.  If this is the case i am sorry and hope that it has not soured you on us permenantly.

Finally, I have eaten Babylon's several times, It is a very nice place, with outdoor dining and delicious food.

The hummus is great and the kabob's are amazing

Thanks,

Fink

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs

finksfunky.net

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

There's a review of the Sea Shack (Polifly Road in Hackensack) in Friday's Bergen Record. Awarded 2.5 stars, and a generally positive narrative. They describe it as a throw back to the 1950s in many respects.

I've had good to OK food there, never anything fabulous, never anything terrible.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

re: Fink's

Your way of cooking and presenting chicken is consistent with what I've seen in the South. I'm sure your reputation wouldn't be as good as it is if you cut corners.

But, I'd suggest a sign or notice that a customer may find a different than usual coloring in the food might be in order. Dodge and I may differ on some things, but he makes a good point on raw and chicken. In that situation, I think the house should be explicit.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

My husband & I ate at Fink's last weekend (first time) and thought it was really great.  We both got chicken sandwiches, in fact.  I am pretty sure I recall seeing some mention of the cooking process on the menu, but maybe it isn't included on the takeout menu.  Very cool place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's for the feedback everybody, On the menu in the main dish section it explains the smoke ring.  It is a big menu though and i understand how people could miss it.  

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

We havent tried Indigo Smoke yet. I can tell you this though, Fink is serious about his barbeque. He has this big commercial smoker in his kitchen and smokes his meats at least 10 hours before serving them, and uses mostly cherry wood logs.

Probably the closest thing we have to real southern barbeque in NJ. Highly recommended.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mulino's is in Dumont and it is very good.  Owned by Cafe Italiano people in Englewood Cliffs.

We ate there last night.

The waiters are dressed nicely, and It's a little more upscale in price and looks than La famiglia ,But to me the food was nothing special and no better than La Famiglia.

and Yes, the silverware was also Cafeteria type.

Pet gripe, they (the busboy)served Dinner to the me and my dh , even though my dh was away from the table.

Coffee was good tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Anyone been to a new place in River Edge called Babylon next to the Huffman Koos?

Jason and I have been there twice since you mentioned it and it is very good. A nice assortment of mezze which can be ordered individually or as a platter of two or three. Great shephard salad (the feta has to be asked for separately) and soups. Sunday evening there is usually a braised lamb shank special for $9.95!!! Really, I thought my bill was wrong and they had undercharged us. House-made pastries are rich and buttery. Some service issues, but understandable as it is usually only a husband and wife team (she makes the pastries) out front. They always seem to have just run out of the gyro, so we haven't had the doner kebab, but the kofta is terrific. We definitely recommend it.