• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best places to stop along i-95

Turtleboy

I apologize if this has been asked a million times. I did a search but appearently the search doesn't like the term I-95.

Next week I'm driving from DC to Ft. Lauderdale.

Where are the best places to stop along I-95? BBQ would be my first choice, but I'll stop for anything good.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

I apologize if this has been asked a million times.  I did a search but appearently the search doesn't like the term I-95.

Next week I'm driving from DC to Ft. Lauderdale.

Where are the best places to stop along I-95?  BBQ would be my first choice, but I'll stop for anything good.

Here's the link to Hollyeats for barbecue. Non barbecue listings on other pages on the site.

http://www.hollyeats.com/NorthCarollina.htm

In North Carolina, just about 20 minutes past the VA border, if you take the exit for Weldon/Roanoke Rapids, there are two fantastic holes-in-the-wall: Ralph's, for BBQ, and Second Street Lunch, for awesome hot dogs and burgers.

Ralph's is at 1400 Julian Allbrook Highway, which is the road you're on when you exit 95 (I think). Think NC-style 'cue, brunswick stew, cole slaw and sweetened ice tea. They also sell it to go so if you love it, you can take some extra with you.

Second Street Lunch is located in the city's downtown (abandoned though it may be) at 22 E. 2nd street. No menus so know when you go: you can order a hamburger, or a hot dog. Full-dressed means you get cole slaw, chili, raw onion and mustard. Ketchup is on the table. Order two of whatever you get - they're small. Fries are crinkle-cut and come in red-and-white checkered paper boats. The waitresses also cook the food behind the line. They have bottles of ANY KIND of soda pop imaginable. You'll be in and out for less than $3.

There are a few other good suggestions on this web site, Restaurant Row. I can't say for sure if they're right off 95 though.

definitely agree with ralph's in roanoke rapids/weldon. but after you sit in traffic in nova for 1+ hours you'll prbably need sustainance before the n.c. line. try buz n' ned's "real" bbq in richmond va. take i-95 into town and exit at the "boulevard" exit. go toward broad street. the restaurant will be on your left after the baseball stadium. different from eastern n.c. style bbq, but yummy just the same.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

What I'd suggest is to schedule the itinerary for a lunch stop at one of the great places in NC and then dinner at Sweatman's in South Carolina (See HollyEats and other discussions here on Sweatmans). Same great pork, much different sauces. I think Sweatman's is only open on Fri and Sat.

[edited for sloppiness]

Edited by dscott (log)

Two non barbecue considerations:

1. Maybe you know of Carl's Frozen Custard already as Fredericksburg is not that far south of DC. - but I can't imagine driving I-95 without stopping in for a dipped cone of home made frozen custard.

2. Plan your trip so you spend the evening in the Charleston SC area. That way you can eat shovelfulls of roast oysters at Bowen's Island on James Island just south of Charleston.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My wife and I recently stopped at Buz and Ned's in Richmond just off of I-95 on Boulevard this past weekend and it was wonderful. BBQ of all kinds, but I really recommend the spare ribs.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."