• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good fish recipes

Thornado

jgm,

And weep a bit over the loss of Larcher's if it helps.  :wink:

Believe me, I weep over the loss of Larcher's all the time! Picadilly eases the pain somewhat, and Food for Thought (now in the Larcher's building) carries a lot of different kinds of beans and grains, so there are some substitutes. But there will never be another Larcher's, and we're all the worse for it! :sad:

great fresh trout recipes, but you probably don't have access to any. I'll post them if you're interested.

I think I will be able to order fresh trout. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love them!

I think I will be able to order fresh trout.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd love them!

And in a month, you can catch your own. Don't know if you're familiar with the area but lots of people flock to Bennett Springs and the surrounding area each spring. Here is a link to a page describing a number of state and private places to fish for trout. If you want to combine a weekend outing with your quest.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

great fresh trout recipes, but you probably don't have access to any. I'll post them if you're interested.

I think I will be able to order fresh trout. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love them!

Here ya go. I've added some notes/tips/tweaks, which you may find helpful. These are both delicious recipes.

PAN-FRIED TROUT WITH GREEN ONIONS: (from Bon Appetit Mag)

(My notes: The sauce takes longer than indicated, so I cook it before I do the trout and keep it warm on a very low burner (recipe says to cook the trout first). Plus in general, I don't like to set fish aside and keep it "warm" while preparing a sauce, since I find the fish dries out somewhat). Also, I omit the floured coating in the recipe. In addition, I have subbed extra virgin olive oil for the 1 Tbsp butter for the sauce, and it turns out fine OR you can do half butter and half oil. Finally, instead of doing the trout 2 min. per side, I keep it flesh side down about 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. (when you see the recipe, these "tweaks" will make more sense).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/5833

SAUTEED OPEN FACED TROUT (from Gourmet Mag)

(Note: This recipe has 2 Tbsp butter in the sauce, so you may want to decrease it - if so, decrease the wine and lemon juice amount, etc - I don't think oil as a sub or half oil and half butter would work here, but who knows). Also, it's a good idea to lower the heat on the sauce after melting the butter (it's melted on high until browned), and before adding the shallots and garlic, - otherwise, the shallots and garlic may start to burn. Finally, remove the pan from the heat before adding the herbs).

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/21022/...aced-trout.html

Hope this helps you out!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

If you are bothered by the fishiness then I have a couple of things to try. First, is your fish fresh? Fresh fish is not fishy. Fresh fish should smell like sea water, have a clear eye and be slimy. Also, you can soak your fish in milk for 10-15 minutes and this helps to eliminate some of the stronger tasting oils in fish. Bu sure to rinse and dry the fish after soaking it in milk.

Sophie

soaking fish in milk doesn't remove or eliminate stronger tasting oils in fish. As salt water fish proteins breakdown, bacteria and enzymes convert some of the amino acids into ammonia and TMA (trimethylamine) and is responsible for the 'fishy' smell or taste. This is neutralized with lactic acid in milk. Fresh water fish, because of something related to the salinity of salt water, don't produce such aminos and therefore are more mild tasting...

I would then say, to start eating fish for someone who doesn't like fish, go with freshwater fish, trout is always a crowd pleaser...

Sole is a nice mild fish, dip it in a little flour and egg, and saute in butter and lemon for a quick picatta, top with slivered almonds for a nice almondine. Mmmm

For a super easy, delicious way to cook salmon, mix a tablespoon of honey with a teaspoon of dijon mustard, spread over the salmon and top with slivered almonds or pecans and bake for about 20 min, it's delicious.

To make it even more low-fat substitute a splash of balsamic vinegar for the nuts.

One of my favorite ways to serve haddock or cod is to top it with a mix of crushed ritz crackers, butter, parsley, and a drizzle of sherry.

I would then say, to start eating fish for someone who doesn't like fish, go with freshwater fish, trout is always a crowd pleaser...

For trout there are a bazillion ways to cook 'em, but for me there is only one favorite- Pull your fish out of the water, dispatch, clean and scale 'em and put them in the smoker for 45 to 90 minutes. You will be rewarded with food of the gods, and when you are done it looks like a cartoon fish skeleton, head, tail, backbone and ribs. (Yumbola!)

As to people who don't like fish, I think it's like people who don't like Scotch- either it floats your boat-- or it doesn't. Converting somebody who doesn't like fish is like converting somebody from their childhood church-- you can do it, but why bother?

Now I have to wait for season opener for the Eastern Sierras. Hurry up Spring!

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Any nice white flaky fish - cod, scrod, flounder, haddock, work great with this easy recipe: combine crushed garlic, chopped tomato, kalamata olive, parley, dibble of olive oil and make a paste. spread over fish and bake until just flaky. Easy, healthy and delicious.

Quite a few years ago, fish restaurants always had a few items for fish haters.

Usually steak, burgers, or chicken.  But swordfish was always included in this category, and sometimes halibut or sole.

Alas, swordfish disappeared from the menus in the 1970's, and I never tried it. Does anyone know if it was truly the best tasting fish for fish haters?

Is it available today, on a limited scale, without mercury? Will it ever make a comeback?

Swordfish is all over the place. As for the mercury... What? You don't like mercury?

Unfortunately, mercury is a contaminant that is common in fish and it is particularly common in long-living or predatory fish. In most parts of the world the methylmercury is actually of natural origin.

But swordfish is still pretty common to American menus. The USDA warns some people against consuming too much, I believe, although I don't recall the guideline or to whom it applied.

They are also a bill fish. We boycott them because they are endangered, but man are they good!

Tuna steaks grilled taste beefy to me.

I don't care for catfish because of the texture. Too much mush.

I actually really, really like cod. And yep, halibut is good. Stuff a flounder, maybe?