• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good fish recipes

Thornado

After many "experiments" to get my younger sister to eat fish I finally found one a few years ago that she approved of and now even requests it, but only at home. She still never orders fish when out.

It must be a white, thin fish, either turbot, sole or tilapia. Smother both sides with excellent pesto, dip both sides into a mix of breacrumbs, touch of cornmeal and freshly grated parm or romano. Place on a preheated lightly oiled baking sheet and drizzle with just a touch of olive oil. Bake and then broil for the last 30 seconds.

:smile:

Edited by Larry (log)

A lemony preparation I like is to start with filets of a mild white fish, sprinkle on lemon pepper seasoning, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and pop in a 400F oven until it's opaque and flakes easily.

Marcia.

I did this exactly, last year, for a small group of friends. One of them hated fish - she loved this.

I've also made codfish dumplings and served them in broth made from lobster stock - this was also very mild, but rich too. The same friend that otherwise hates fish liked this too! She kept the leftovers for herself. :smile:

edit spelling

Edited by AmyDaniel (log)

Is it me, or is branzino the hip fish of the moment (or, given my DC location, last year's NY moment)?  All the sudden it seems to be everywhere.

Yep, if it's readily available here in Dallas it must be happening, or as you pointed out, "happened" in NY two years ago. Let the countdown for its appearance on the endangered list begin . . .

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I live in the north of Sweden, and it is somewhat difficult to find the more "exotic" fishes fresh here. There is basically only one dedicated fish shop here, and they have things like cod, bass, herring, and possibly halibut fresh. They also have other kinds of fish such as red snapper, tuna, etc, but those are usually frozen.

I've seen that many of you have suggested that I should go with white fish, and stay away from things like e.g. salmon. My experience is quite the opposite. The fish I really have a problem with are white fish like cod. While a salmon still isn't the thing I'm most happy to see on the dinner table, it definitely beats a white fish any day, as the non-white fish actually *do* have a flavour apart from that "fish" flavour that I'm not very fond of. Oh, well....

One setting, in which I think fish can be pretty OK is, surprisingly enough, sushi.

One setting, in which I think fish can be pretty OK is, surprisingly enough, sushi.

then that proves the point that its not the taste of fish you dislike

its the taste of stale fish you dislike.

I used to hate sushi until one day i had proper sushi

its a complete eye opener.

And i suspect it be the same for you if you get hold of really fresh fish.

Next time you have sushi get a selection of the different fish and before you pop it into your mouth smell the fish. You will find that it has little to no fishy smell

its smells of the sea but not strong fishy smell. ( or it shouldn't anyway)

Out of the sushi fish you do like

locate them at you fish monger and buy those

and look for recipes for those specific fish.

When i try to introduce people to sushi i ask them if they like smoked salmon. If they like that then give them salmon sushi and from there you can introduce them to other fishes.

With you i think you need to do something similar.

you like sushi so go for some asian recipes.

Simply steamed fish with ginger garlic and spring onion and then pour on some sesame oil and soya sauce.

Fish i would recommend you should try are monk fish, sea bass, tuna belly, salmon. Get the freshest piece you can and simply grilled them with salt and pepper, olive oil and a squeezse of lemon, remember not to over cook it or you will lose the flavour.

The idea is for you to train your palate :wink:

but if white fish not your liking do you like shellfish? go for prawns, scallops etc they just as yummy

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

If you like sushi, then I think we've established that the quality of the fish you buy for your table is the problem!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

NulloModo,

Re: your easy and delicious suggestions for preparing fish...........................  Will you marry me!? :wub:

Well, I've always wanted to see Las Vegas....

Thornado -

You might want to inquire from the sushi place where they source their fish, maybe the supplier is also willing to do business with consumers other than full-out restaurants.

It does really sound like the problem is less than fresh fish. I love all manner of seafood, but fish past it's prime is a horrible thing indeed. If you ever want to get anyone to wretch at the thought of fish for a solid week, try to feed them some Gorton's Lemon Pepper Fish Fillet frozen dinners.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

That's quite commonly the case. I've had many friends who swear they hate fish but love sushi (and many now do like fish, also). I used to not like fish so much either but developing a love for sushi was a key first step to coming around on it.

You mentioned not liking cod . . . it's not the salt or air-dried cod that you've had, is it? That has a much stronger flavor than the fresh kind.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I live in the north of Sweden, and it is somewhat difficult to find the more "exotic" fishes fresh here. There is basically only one dedicated fish shop here, and they have things like cod, bass, herring, and possibly halibut fresh. They also have other kinds of fish such as red snapper, tuna, etc, but those are usually frozen.

I used to live in Maine, so I am pretty familiar with your local fish. I am with you on cod--not my fave and it needs to be fresh, fresh, fresh!

Here are some things to try:

Scrod--baby cod, much more delicate and nice.

Monkfish--also called sea toad, cote de raspa--tails taste a bit like lobster

Sea Bass--they follow the herring and run up north in the summer.

North Atlantic Shrimp--they are very small and pink when raw--lovely sweet taste

Sea Scallops--easy to cook, get the best ones in the winter

Mussels--do you live near the sea? If you do, just take a walk at low tide on a rocky beach and pick 'em. Clean off the beards, brush the shells and steam them in wine, garlic, herbs, leeks, tomatoes. Eat the mussels and have lots of nice bread to soak up the broth.

Smelts--do you have these little guys? They are members of the herring family and breed in streams during the spring. This is great opportunity to get together with friends and drink a lot of beer. Go to a smelt stream, build a fire and have a case of cold beer on hand. Use a large flashlight and a small landing net and catch your smelt. Just bread them and fry whole. Trust me, they do not taste like herring!

Clams--for this you need a nice muddy beach. Go out at low tide with a little shovel and dig them out. Clams collect a lot of silt in them so fill a bucket with ocean water and let the clams sit for several hours before cooking.

Lobsters--of course! I know that your lobsters are different than my lobsters, but you still have them. I think they are best steamed in sea water and seaweed. Just put a couple if inches of sea water in the bottom of your pot and some fresh seaweed, bring to boil and add your lobsters. Steam for 17-19 minutes for a 1 1/2 pound lobster.

Sole--let's not forget lovely channel sole! Take a whole sole or flounder (we want the head and skin on, but gutted) and stuff with salt, pepper, chopped parsley, shallot, butter and lemon. Lay fish on a baking sheet (covered with tin foil) and bake at 400 degrees until done. To serve, use a big serving spoon and cut the skin right under the head. Use the spoon to peel back the skin and lift out the filets. Then grab the head and lift the skeleton out, then serve the bottom filets. You can make a little parsley sauce to serve over the fish, but it's nice with just a little lemon too.

Sophie

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

Tempura.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this up again, in hopes of getting even more replies and great ideas to add to what's already been contributed.

Here's the situation.

Doctor says I have 6 months to get test numbers into better shape, or I have to go on meds. :sad: In short, eat healthy and exercise more. Backing off on salt a little bit won't hurt, either --my blood pressure is a little high.

Here are the challenges:

Fresh fish is hard to come by, here in Kansas. I've heard we do have a place in town where I can order it, and then pick it up the next day. I will use it that night, as recommended in posts above. I haven't seen their prices, but I doubt I'll be able to eat fresh fish from this place more than once or twice a week. I do plan on eating some frozen fish; I know that makes some people cringe, but since I've rarely had fresh fish, I won't notice the difference (at least not at first) the way some people would.

I need a fairly quick prep. By the time I drive to the fresh fish place and then home (opposite ends of town) and cook dinner, much of my evening will be shot. But there are worse ways to shoot an evening, than by cooking. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if the rewards are fairly good.

I need a fairly healthy prep. Deep frying is out, since there's not only the fat factor, but the breading factor.

The advantages:

I love all kinds of fish.

I love to cook.

OK, where do I start? I'm not as experienced a cook as many are on eGullet, but I'm adventurous. I need suggestions for side dishes to go with certain kinds of prep, and if you could point me toward recipes for those sides, I would appreciate it! I have an embarrassing cookbook-buying habit, so if you want to give me cookbook recommendations, it will help me rationalize my next purchases. :biggrin:

A couple of quick thoughts:

a great way to cook fish fillets without any added fat, is to wrap them in parchment or aluminum foil with herbs and a splash of white wine or lemon juice. Bake in the oven.

A favorite of mine for cod, or hake, is to make a good-flavored tomatosauce ( I do use some oliveoil for that, but if this to be completely without fat, I guess that could be done), put the cod steaks or fillets in a baking dish, pour over the tomatosauce (black olives are a nice addition) and bake until done. Sprinkle with lots of fresh parsley.

Edited by Chufi (log)

A little fat is just fine. I'm not unwilling to use reasonable amounts of olive oil and/or butter. I just don't want to completely cancel out the natural low-calorie advantage that fish has.

A little fat is just fine.  I'm not unwilling to use reasonable amounts of olive oil and/or butter. I just don't want to completely cancel out the natural low-calorie advantage that fish has.

Here's my prep for a really easy, flavorful and slightly crunchy-topped fish:

I keep in my freezer a tightly closed tupperware mixture of Panko, chopped fresh Italian Parsley and Lemon Zest. I use virtually any kind of fish, but mainly a white fish like cod or halibut. Put a very thin layer of Light Best Foods (Hellman's in the East) mayonnaise on top of the fish, and sprinkle a nice layer of the panko mixture on top of that.

Place in a baking dish with fresh lemon juice squeezed on the bottom. Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes (depending on type and thickness of fish fillet) until just flaky.

All of my "I hate fish!" friends absolutely love it this way! :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

This has got to be the easiest fish preparation in the world short of sashimi. I got the method out of the Boston Globe Sunday food section a bazillion years ago (okay, sometime in the 1980s).

You need a few serving-size pieces of a nice firm white fish like cod or halibut, a small amount of butter or other cooking fat, a few sprigs of your favorite fresh herb, a skillet (preferably non-stick) with a well-fitting lid, a piece of parchment or foil cut to just fit inside the skillet, and salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste.

Give the fish about 15 minutes outside the fridge to come up to room temperature. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Rub the interior of the skillet with a little butter. Place the fish in the skillet, and place herbs on top. Lightly butter one side of the parchment/foil, and place it buttered-side down on top of the fish. Fit the lid on top, set the pan on medium heat, and cook for eight minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat--still covered--and let sit someplace warm for another eight minutes. Only then do you remove the lid to reveal--voila!--perfectly cooked fish.

Herbs I've used with this include basil and tarragon. You can sub other seasonings too instead of/in addition to the salt/pepper. Olive oil is a yummy substitute for the butter. You say a little fat is okay for your situation, but for anyone cooking for a super low-fat regimen, this method also works and tastes great even if you use cooking spray in place of the fats.

Oh, and about frozen fish: there's frozen, and then there's frozen. Yeah, the fish in many supermarkets that had been previously frozen and then thawed for sale can be pretty dodgy in terms of flavor and texture. But then there's fish that has been flash-frozen right on the boat and never thawed until you get it home in your kitchen, and that's, well, a whole different kettle of fish. (Ow, sorry, couldn't resist.) Even a lot of West Coast sushi chefs use this well-cared-for flash-frozen fish, and it's pretty excellent. If you can find a store anywhere near you that carries this stuff, you can load up your freezer and have decent fish whenever you want.

Edited by mizducky (log)

Hi,

So, here's the deal - I really don't like fish. Even if you try to prepare it in a good way, that typical fish flavor always comes through in a bad way.

I am however also aware that it is good to eat fish, and maybe maybe there can be a good way to cook fish. So, what's an excellent way to cook fish if you are not a fish lover? I want great recipes! :)

There are no good fish recipes only good fish.

If you can't get fresh fish then it really isn't worth your while eating them at all. Different types of fish taste very different and your comments on 'Typical fish flavor' suggests to me that the fish could be fresher. My advise would be to spend time tracking down a good supplier that you trust and try different types of fish (fresh water, salt water, white fleshed, oily fleshed) and cook them as simply as possible (poach/ steam/ fry) to find out what types you prefer.

Three excellent lowfat salmon recipes - can use salmon steaks or fillets. (read the reviews and tips at the links).

Broiled Salmon With Cilantro And Lime:

http://www.recipezaar.com/15911

Spicy Grilled Salmon Steaks With Black Butter:(I omit the black butter - it's not necessary)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/12840

Broiled Salmon with Sweet Red Pepper Sauce:

http://www.recipezaar.com/35572

I have some great fresh trout recipes, but you probably don't have access to any. I'll post them if you're interested.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Don't forget shrimp and crab in this. Shrimp is usually good for people who "don't like fish", but it has the same benefits as most ocean fish. Freshwater fish usually has less of the fishy taste, and farmed catfish is a pretty blank canvas. Talapia is along the same lines with a slightly different texture. It stands up to some heartier sauces, without getting fishy.

And don't overcook it. Any objectionable flavors that exist will be magnified by overcooking.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I like to eat a lot of fish. And if you want a quick, easy and healthful treatment, try this. It's my best 'shortcut' fish dish for nights when I drag home at 6pm tired and hungry.

Take out your little tray on your toaster oven and put some fish fillets on it. Then spread over them some Herdez Salsa Casera, or Salsa Verde. Bake for about 15 minutes.

You can also do this with a jarred pasta sauce, or whatever else you have.

Of course, it goes without saying that this treatment is much better if you have some homemade salsa or pasta sauce handy, but if you don't, it's still darn tasty. And quick. And as healthy as your sauce. If you don't add any extra sugar or fat to your salsa or pasta sauce (and I don't), it's hard to get a dish any easier or healthier than this.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I met my wife she didn't like fish at all. Bad memories of poorly made fish at home. I started poaching fish and little and little she began to like it. Poaching results in a very mild flavor. I usually don't care for poached fish because there is little flavor to me and a good sauce is needed to contrast the mild flavors.

She still doesn't like salmon so when she is out my daughter and I have salmon night. One of my current recipes includes marinating in sweet soy sauce, sweet Thai chili paste, garlic, ginger and a little oil and a few dashes of fish sauce. I will often fine dice carrots for color and add to the marinade. The fish is grilled flesh down and then after flipping the flesh is basted with the marinade. The heat of the grill will cause the sweet marinade to from a nice crust on the fish. The little bits of garlic, ginger and carrots give it some nice color when plated. Salmon is one fish I try not to cook on the stove. I love the taste but hate the lingering odor. Maybe with my new hood this will not be a problem.

If you're leery of the 'typical fish taste,' I'd suggest staying away from freshwater fish, at least at first.

If you buy prawns, don't eat the head (that's where the cholesterol is). With crabs, don't eat the roe inside the carapace--again, cholesterol.

If you go the poaching route, use stock seasoned with miso paste, spring onions and ginger. Yummy!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I think it was an earlier poster who has problems with "typical fish taste." I love fish, and I need to eat it to get calories down, as well as improving numbers on blood tests; eating fish would be a way to have fewer meals with beef, pork, or chicken. Essentially, I'm a carnivore, and I think most food is often improved by liberal additions of butter and sauces with fresh cream. . . reality really bites, ya know?

I'm getting a lot of good ideas here, and I really appreciate it. Yesterday I did make the trek to the one place in town that sells fresh fish. This is the purveyor used by most of the restaurants in town, if not all. They have recently started serving the public. Apparently they're buying from a warehouse in Denver, and promised that when the fish arrives in Wichita, it will be "less than 48 hours old." (I'm assuming it will actually be "right AT 48 hours old.")I know that to many of you, that's not fresh fish, but it's the best I'll be able to do without moving closer to one of the coasts.

A downside to purchasing from this purveyor, is that they have a one-pound minimum. I think I can work with friends and co-workers to deal with that, though.

Thanks to all who have contributed, and I continue to be open to more ideas!

jgm,

I feel your pain. When I was in your town taking care of the mater the lack of fresh fish frustrated me. Mizducky's right, though (bad pun notwithstanding), that there is some fine frozen fish on the market. I would call either Food for Thought or Green Acres and ask if they have frozen fish, for starters. And weep a bit over the loss of Larcher's if it helps. :wink: Doug Pitts had incredible fish when he was still open at 626; probably the Denver connection you mentioned but it might be worth giving him a call at his new place to make sure you're not missing out on anything.

I have had good luck with orange roughy that's been flash-frozen (since it has to travel so far, I would be leery of any that isn't frozen and thawed by me). It's delicate but, if you use a porcelained grill topper with a small amount of oil, it can be grilled with good results.

As nearly everyone has said, herbs and citrus have a natural affinity with fish.

I am another one of those people who thought I hated fish until I discovered what it was supposed to taste like.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher