• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This weekend in D.C.

wkl

I'll be in DC this w/e and have two questions I hope you all can help me with.

We've decided on Zaytinya for Sat nite and I'm wondering what the wait time is for three people around 7:30? Just a rough idea is all I'm wondering about.

Also, wondering about a place for dinner in the Adam's Morgan/Dup Cr area on Sunday.We are headed back to Delaware after dinner, so we are looking for something pretty casual, possibly with good beers on tap or wine by the glass.We like all kinds of food. Originally thought of Cashions or Firefly, but they may be a little more than we want. Unless they have bar menus? Last time we were in DC we loved Jaleo, Cashions and DC coast, just to give you an idea where we've been.

Thanks!

Zaytinya - I wouldn't be surprised at an hour or more.

Sunday - how about Palena Cafe? (if they're open sunday) That is a bit north of Dupont on Connecticut but it's in the right direction to keep heading north & catch the Beltway.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

If Sunday turns out to be a nice day (50-50 at last report), and you're willing to dine early (before things fill up), Sette Osteria , on Connecticut and R has an outdoor cafe whos location and food make it well worth staking out a table on. If its grey and drizzly, get a seat near the Pizza oven.

The Tabard Inn has a secluded Courtyard if it's nice, and a very cool dining room, if it isn't. The current Chef is very well regarded. I'm dining there myself Sunday for the first time in a while, so I can say no more than that recent reviews have been very good.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Zaytinya - I wouldn't be surprised at an hour or more.

Sunday - how about Palena Cafe? (if they're open sunday)  That is a bit north of Dupont on Connecticut but it's in the right direction to keep heading north & catch the Beltway.

Palena's not open on Sunday...

Sigh...

Jennifer

Hmm. If Firefly is already on-the-fence as being too much (I assume in terms of "degree of fine-diningness"), wouldn't Tabard Inn be that much more?

I'll second the recommendation for Pesce. Good, simple, fresh seafood.

If pub-grub and beer fit the bill, then Brickskeller may be worth a visit. I mean, if you REALLY like beer. Food is so-so, but it's the best beer selection you'll find pretty much anywhere.

Pizzeria Paradiso is also an excellent spot for a casual bite -- made to order pizzas of the highest order. Usually a nice handful of craft beers available and a few wines by the glass.

There's Bistrot du Coin, which has its avid followers and just-as-avid detractors (I fall more to the latter camp). YMMV, as they say.

Caveat: I'm only an infrequent visitor to D.C., but these are some casual standbys, most of which have borne repeat visits over several years.

Christopher

Depending on how far up into Adams Morgan you want to go, there is a tasty Italian place called San Marco on 18th and... California? I think. Very neighborhood, home-cookery, price is right. Or there are tons of Ethiopian places in the neighborhood, Fasika's and Meskerem in particular. All are near 18th and Columbia. All are very casual and comfy.

In Dupont, if you want an entertaining experience, Mimi's has singing waiters and really, really tasty burgers. The menu ranges from $10 to $28 for entrees, though, so judicious ordering is necessary if you're on a budget. I second the recommendation for the beers at Brickskellar -- as for their food, stick with the burgers. I think Pizzeria Paradiso has much tastier pizza than Sette, but it is a small place with few tables so you'd probably be waiting.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

My experiences at Paradiso have been uniformly disappointing, and I have sworn never to return. More to the point, Sette has the cafe, as well as a broader menu; sitting a half-block from the place as I type, on one of the few tolerable days DC has had this spring, the cafe is calling to me -- maybe just for the meat and cheese plate (exceptional) and a glass of vino.... :raz:

Pesce is great, too, and I am in the pro-BdC camp, though it crowds up damn early on Sunday.

A favorite A-M Ethiopian is Addis Abbaba, though I happily I eat at Fasika's and Meskerem (both a little more "upscale" than Addis) as well.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If pub-grub and beer fit the bill, then Brickskeller may be worth a visit.  I mean, if you REALLY like beer.  Food is so-so, but it's the best beer selection you'll find pretty much anywhere.

With all due respect...I wouldn't recommend the Brick for a meal to anyone! :raz: It has its own thread on this board, read through it for more info.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

If you have time on Saturday, go to the Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Street Festival) near the Federal Triangle Metro station. They'll have street food - tako yaki (octopus pancakes) :smile: , yakisoba, sushi, etc. I've never been - this year will be my first time - but I hear it's great fun.

For brunch in Dupont I've been to Alero's (Tex-Mex) and it's good but I prefer Teaism for Sunday brunch. They have these gig-normous French Toasts on weekends only that looks soooo good. Never had them as I stick to my usual Salty Oat Cooky, Salmon Bento and Genmai cha selection. (Ok, I'm guilty - I change up my dessert selections...their desserts are very very very good.)

Edited to add: Get the chocolate torte with green tea ice cream if you go to Teaism. You won't be disappointed. You can find the menu here.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

maybe just for the meat and cheese plate (exceptional) and a glass of vino....

I would second the recommendations for Sette and for the cheese plate, however I prefer Meskerem to Addis Ababa for Ethiopian.

The cherry blossoms are supposed to be peaking this weekend, so if you venture down to that part of town be prepared for crowds and very little parking. Also, there is nothing to eat close by.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Teaism = Yum.  You've got to have the sausage, too.  Spectacular.  Essentially pit roasted in a barrel right in front of you.  And the oatmeal is superb, with little bits of mango.

I agree, and I used to work there. The barrel referred to is a charcoal tandoor oven in which they also cook nice naan among other things. The only caveat I would add is that it can get quite crowded and is a pay-get your tray style place (no waiters).

Thanks for all the help! Leaning toward Meskerem for Sunday, seeing as there are zero Ethiopian places in Wilmington.

Relevant data (address, phone, etc) for Meskerem; to orient you, it's about a block from Cashion's.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Thanks for all your advice, the w/e was a success!

Teasism for lunch saturday, Zaytinya for dinner (wow!).

Firehook for b'fast sunday and Bistrot du Coin for early dinner sunday.Mussels, hangar steak, rabbit, all excellent! I was a little hesitant about bdc after following the thread on this board, but we loved it.