• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerusalem Artichokes/Sunchokes

docsconz

Perhaps it is most popular for using regualr artichoke hearts, but I use Jerusalem artichokes/aka sunchokes for making Chicken Jerusalem. Frankly, though I"m a regular artichoke fiend, the sunchoke version is tastier.

I use boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks, s+P, dredge in flower and saute in butter until browned. Then add the Mushrooms (halved) and the sunchokes (parboiled for about 15 minutes, then into ice water, then cut into bite size pieces). Cover with cream sherry (not dry) and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Add more sherry if it cooks down to much and then add Heavy Cream to finish the sauce. I like to serve it over rice.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

• 11 months later...

Major BUMP!

I got some JAs in my CSA box and came here to find ideas for preparing them, as I've never had them before. Looks like I won't be pureeing them and offering them to my 7mo in a hurry!

I was thinking of slicing them up with some onions for a gratin, though I like docsconz's method also. Any others?

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Following are several recipes taken from my little book “The Diverse Israeli Table – Dining Out in Israel”

Coriander Seasoned Soup of Jerusalem Artichokes

A recipe by chef Golan Aladjem

400 gr. Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced

juice of 2 lemons

1 1/2 Tbsp. coriander seeds

1 Tbsp. cumin seeds

about 2 Tbsp. of olive oil

5 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly

5 sprigs of fresh coriander

1 1/2 liters chicken stock

1/2 cup dry white wine

salt and freshly ground white pepper

Place the Jerusalem artichokes in a small bowl, pour over cold water to cover and add the juice of the lemons. Let stand for 5 – 10 minutes

In a dry skillet roast the coriander and cumin seeds over a medium flame and then grind them to a powder in a coffee mill.

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot (about 2 1/2 liters). Add the shallots and saute for 5 minutes and then add the Jerusalem artichokes and saute for 5 minutes longer. Add the coriander sprigs and 3/4 of the ground coriander and cumin seeds and cook for another minute. Add the wine wine and cook until the wine has almost completely evaporated. Add the stock and cook over a low heat until the artichokes are softened. Transfer to a blender and blend to a uniform mixture. Strain, bring to a boil, taste and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Distribute the soup into separate soup bowls, and sprinkle over the remaining spice mixture. (Serves 4 – 6).

Leg of Lamb with Puree of Jerusalem Artichokes

A Recipe by chefs Tamar Blay and Ezra Kedem

1 leg of lamb about 1 1/2 kilos

1/2 cup olive oil

5 – 6 sprigs thyme, chopped finely

coarse salt

8 cloves garlic, halved

2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

salt and freshly ground pepper

2 cups lamb stock

For the Jerusalem artichokes:

1/2 kilo Jerusalem artichokes, peeled

salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice to taste

1 tsp. parsley, chopped finely

For the garlic confit:

200 gr. large garlic cloves

1 cup olive oil

2 bay leaves

2 sprigs thyme

1 tsp. coarsely crushed pepper

Dip a muslin cloth in the olive oil and with this rub the meat thoroughly, coating well. Sprinkle the meat with the chopped thyme, patting with the hands so that the thyme adheres. Cover with a cloth and let stand for 3 hours.

Sprinkle the lamb with coarse salt and pepper. Heat a heavy iron skillet and in this sear the meat on all sides. Remove from the skillet. With a sharp knife cut slits in the meat and into these insert the halved garlic cloves. Coat the meat with the mustard. Transfer the meat to a lightly oiled baking pan and roast in an oven that has been preheated to 180 degrees Celsius for 30 – 40 minutes.

While the meat is in the oven prepare the puree by cooking the Jerusalem artichokes in about 2 liters of water until just beginning to soften. Remove from the water, strain and chop coarsely. Add salt, pepper, olive oil, parsley and lemon juice to taste.

Prepare the garlic confit: Place the garlic cloves in 1/2 liter of cold water, bring to a boil, reduce the flame and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Strain. Transfer the garlic to a clean saucepan and add the olive oil, bay leaves, pepper and thyme and bring to a boil. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Place the lamb stock in a saucepan and cook until thick and reduced to about 1/4 of its original volume.

Just before serving, slice the meat to 1/2 cm. thick slices. To serve, place a generous amount of the artichoke puree in the center individual serving plates. On this distribute the lamb slices and on those 1 Tbsp. or more of the concentrated lamb stock. Scatter a bit of olive oil around and sprinkle over with the garlic confit. (Serves 4).

Red Mullet Salad with Cream of Jerusalem Artichokes

A recipe by chef Yaron Kestenbaum

For the red mullets:

4 red mullets (each about 200 gr.), scaled and cut into boneless fillets

2 Tbsp. olive oil

several drops of Pastis or other Anise based liquor

lemon juice

coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 tsp. chopped thyme

For the artichoke cream:

4 Jerusalem artichokes, about 7 cm long each, peeled and cleaned

20 gr. butter

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. chopped thyme

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

For the tomato butter:

2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded and cut into small cubes

40 gr. butter

1/2 tsp. white wine

2 leaves each basil and oregano, both chopped

1 clove garlic, sliced thinly

For the herb salad:

4 leaves each roquette, purple basil, tarragon, endive, coriander and chervil

Prepare the fish: In a small bowl mix together 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil, the Pastis, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and the thyme. Place the fish fillets in this mixture, toss gently and then remove the fillets to a clean plate. Let stand for about 20 minutes.

While the fish are standing prepare the artichoke cream: In a small ovenproof casserole, melt the butter and then mix in the olive oil, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Add the artichokes and toss well, making sure they are well coated by the other ingredients. Place these in an oven that has been preheated to 200 degrees Celsius and bake until the artichokes are completely soft. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and with a metal blade puree finely. Strain and place in a saucepan.

Prepare the tomato butter by combining all of the ingredients in a stainless steel pot and heating over a low flame just until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges. (The sauce should be warm but not hot to the touch of a finger)

Just before serving, heat the remaining Tbsp. of olive oil in a stick-proof skillet over a high flame. In this singe the fish fillets for about ½ minutes on each side (being sure to singe the skin side first). Set aside to keep warm. Warm the artichoke cream and distribute this in the center of each of two serving plates. On the artichoke cream place 2 fish fillets and over all drip a bit of the tomato butter and a few of the herbs and serve. (Serves 4).

Sea Bass in a Cream of Jerusalem Artichokes

A recipe by chef Ruby Portnoy

For the artichoke cream:

200 gr. Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into medium sized cubes

150 gr. leeks, washed and cut to cubes

80 gr. butter

1/2 liter. fish stock

1/2 cup sweet cream

salt and a pinch of nutmeg

For the curry butter:

100 gr. shallots, chopped

1 Tbsp. honey

1 flat tsp. curry

2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar

1 cup fish stock

100 gr. butter

For the fish:

4 sea bass fillets, about 200 gr. each

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 tsp. coriander seeds

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Prepare the artichoke cream by sauteeing the leeks in the butter until translucent. Add the Jerusalem artichokes, saute for 3 – 4 minutes longer and then add the fish stock. Cook until the Jerusalem artichokes are soft, and then grind them and strain through a fine strainer. Bring to a boil, remove from the flame, add the sweet cream and whisk well.

Prepare the curry butter: Place the shallots, honey, curry and Sherry vinegar in a saucepan. Over a medium flame bring to a boil and then let simmer until reduced by about one quarter. Add the fish stock and continue to simmer until the mixture is reduced by about half. Strain through a fine strainer, return to the flame, and beat in the butter until melted. Whisk a bit until the sauce is smooth throughout. Remove from the flame.

Preparing the fish: Brush the fillets with a little olive oil and then add the coriander seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Fry in the olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side.

To serve, distribute the artichoke cream in the center of four plates and on this place the fish fillets and around the fish pour the curry butter. Pour a little of the curry butter around the fish place the cream in the center of the plate and on it place the fish. (Serves 4).

• 7 months later...

I make a very simple jerusalem artichoke soup that I came up with to try to recreate a soup I had on vacation in Vancouver, BC. Saute some shallots in a little bit of olive oil or butter. Add peeled diced potatoes and jerusalem artichokes, and chicken broth to cover. I don't have amounts, but I use approximately equal weights of potato to jerusalem artichoke, maybe going a little lighter on the potatoes. Simmer until tender, then puree.

Season with white pepper and salt. Finish with a few drops of white truffle oil. Oh, I also like to add a little fresh thyme. It's not roasted, but it's really all about the flavor of the jerusalem artichokes, just accented by the truffle oil.

I make a very simple jerusalem artichoke soup that I came up with to try to recreate a soup I had on vacation in Vancouver, BC. Saute some shallots in a little bit of olive oil or butter. Add peeled diced potatoes and jerusalem artichokes, and chicken broth to cover. I don't have amounts, but I use approximately equal weights of potato to jerusalem artichoke, maybe going a little lighter on the potatoes. Simmer until tender, then puree.

Season with white pepper and salt. Finish with a few drops of white truffle oil. Oh, I also like to add a little fresh thyme. It's not roasted, but it's really all about the flavor of the jerusalem artichokes, just accented by the truffle oil.

sounds really nice. i will give it a try and let you know how it turns out!

Jerusalem artichokes and chestnuts make a great soup together, you can just use the chestnuts that come cryovaced(don't bother with all that boiling and peeling), sweat some shallots,onions,garlic, lardons(or bacon taking into account the smokyness) and then add your peeled and diced sunchokes, the chestnuts and add chicken or veg stock to cover, cook till doneness, puree in blender(it's smoother) adjust seasoning and add a bit of cream, lemon juice to adjust tang and your good to go. seared cube of foie gras or some truffle products don't hurt at all.

I always do a Cauliflower and JA puree. Boil the cauliflower in chicken stock and sweat the JA's in a sautee w butter and shallots. Combine in a food processor with some cream if so desired

Drizzle a little white truffle oil on the top to finish - quick and easy and my most requested soup.

Jerusalem artichoke and chestnut is a great combination, as is celeriac and chestnut. At the restaurant we make our soup in the following way (not that measurements are approximate and it should serve 8-10)

1kg jerusalem artichokes peeled and halved along the length

1-1.5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters

around 1.7-2L chicken stock

1 large onion finely diced

a good sized knob of better

4-5 cloves of garlic finely sliced

2 bay leaves

3 good sized sprigs of thyme

Cook onions and garlic with bay leaves and thyme until onion is soft but not coloured

Add potato and jerusalem artichoke and gently saute for 2-3 mins

Add stock, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until artichokes and potato are tender-soft

Remove bay leaves and thyme and approx 1/2 the stock. Keep the removed stock warm to one side

Blitz the remaining stock, artichokes and potato in a blender (or use a stick blender)

Add around 50ml full fat milk and 3-400ml double cream

Add some of the reserved stock to thin soup out to make it light (it is a veloute not a heavy soup)

Pass soup through fine sieve or muslin

Season to taste

We serve it one of three ways:

1) With a piece of foie gras (poached) in it

2) A large cappuccino with some ceps sauteed in brown butter are presented on the table. The soup is then poured over them at the table and topped with a foam of the soup. The foam is then dusted with some cepe powder - so the dish looks like a cappuccino with its "chocolate" dust. Some foie gras ballotine is then served on the side on some brioche to eat between mouthfulls of the veloute

3) In a cappucino cup as above but plated in the kitchen with some baby giroles in the soup rather than cepes and with a slice of black truffle on the top. Again foie gras on brioche on the side.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?