• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 James Beard Award Nominations and Winners

I, for one, am very pleased with the nominations and not just because it's affording me the following shameless plug.

They happen to include two recent Gremolata contributors. Gina Mallet who's Last Chance to Eat is up for "Writing on Food" and (eGulleter) Natalie MacLean who has two nominations for "Magazine Writing on Spirits, Wine, or Beer" for 'Waiter, There’s a Flaw in My Wine' in Ottawa City Magazine and "MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award" for 'American Idol' at www.NatalieMacLean.com.

Very pleased, indeed.

VERY, VERY, VERY PLEASED! Huge congratulations to Gina and Natalie!

thanks Malcolm! A good excuse to drink... what a minute, I don't need one!

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

I'm also so happy to see Beatrice Ojakangas get this award. The Great Scandinavian Baking Book is really outstanding. I use it constantly. Actually, her recipe for food-processor Danish pastry is in Baking With Julia as well. Before this book, I had a hard time finding books on Danish cooking. My family is Danish, but a lot of the great baking recipes have been lost, and I found replacements in this book! She includes Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and Icelanding baking in this book, with detailed descriptions on why the various baking styles differ.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

this is a bit off the subject, but what was the gala dinner like?  was it better than last year's gala dinner?  feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm amazed at the quality of food given how many they have to serve at the journalism dinner (I think it must be at least 300)... and it all goes out at once... a good variety of dishes and nicely paired with the wines

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

this is a bit off the subject, but what was the gala dinner like?  was it better than last year's gala dinner?  feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm amazed at the quality of food given how many they have to serve at the journalism dinner (I think it must be at least 300)... and it all goes out at once... a good variety of dishes and nicely paired with the wines

In my opinion, the food at the awards gala Monday night was the best it has ever been. Some of my personal highlights: D'Artagnan's "dream cassoulet" with foie gras and truffles, the braised veal cheeks, Nancy Silverton's almond croissant dessert, and one of the very best, most orgasmic things I've ever eaten: Egg shells filled with caramel custard, maple syrup and flakes of sea salt. Sorry, don't have my notes with me to remember exactly which restaurant did that dish, but I think it was Le Bernadin.

My personal highlight from the awards presentation itself: 89-year-old Willie Mae Setton, a fried-chicken maker from New Orleans, being helped up the steps to the stage by her granddaughter and Lolis Elie, then standing up there with her medallion and bursting into tears. Forget the glitz and glamour and controversy: That's what awards are for. To let people like Mrs. Setton know that their contribution is valued and honorable.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

and one of the very best, most orgasmic things I've ever eaten: Egg shells filled with caramel custard, maple syrup and flakes of sea salt. Sorry, don't have my notes with me to remember exactly which restaurant did that dish, but I think it was Le Bernadin.

I believe that was done by Michael Laiskonis currently at Le Bernadin. Host emeritus here at the eGullet Society's Pastry & Baking Forum.

Thanks, Wendy. I thought that was Le Bernadin, but I never trust my memory. Especially when I'm overwhelmed by something that good.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I'm glad to see John Ash get it for his book, Cooking One on One. Certainly all 3 of the finalists were worthy in that category. I must say though that John Ash's Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Ketchup is an absolute kick-ass recipe. Definitely one of the favorites at our house.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Thanks, Wendy. I thought that was Le Bernadin, but I never trust my memory. Especially when I'm overwhelmed by something that good.

I have never had the luck to try this dish, however, I remember researching the recipe to read how it is prepared.

In the following link, Michael Laiskonis explains the process:

Creme Brulee

I am not sure if he prepared this specific version in the event, but I hope that it helps you.

Alex

Willie Mae Seaton, owner on Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans won an award during the recent ceremonies in New York. She is an 88 year old woman who was born in Central Mississippi and moved to New Orleans 65 years ago. She has been operating a little known (until now) but highly respected, and in some ways protected, restaurant in Treme for over 40 years. The food is good. The food is honest. The heart that goes into it, well, you'll need to read this profile of Willie Mae Seaton written by Lolis Eric Elie.

And, I don't know if the Beard Awards has ever recognized someone who was writing about the Beard Awards, but this should be the first time if it has never occurred before. Lolis has achieved something that is rarely, almost never, achieved in a short newspaper format. The writing here fairly exudes with a level of respect and understanding that is difficult to feel, much less convey on paper. Most people deserving of respect and recognition in print usually don't get it because the writer can't bang it out-this time is different. I highly reccomend this piece as essential reading.

Incidentally, there were a couple of great photographs that went along with this, but because the Picayune Website is awful, they do not appear to serve as a visual compliment to the writing.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Great complement to Gina Mallet and Last Chance to Eat in the LA Times.

I actually started another thread on this, sinc ethe article is really about a the popeularity of "food fit": http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=67330

Edited to correct my double posting.

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com