• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 James Beard Award Nominations and Winners

Picture Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS

That's totally my third-favorite movie of all time.

Have you seen the later ones, where she somehow miraculously travels through time and becomes other ruthless non-nazi characters?

Uh. Oh yeah. Beard awards. Right. Go Robb! Go Michael! Whoo!

I don't think the scandal will hurt the prestige of the awards in the eye of the general public.

That really depends on how you define "General Public", now doesn't it? The world in general? The readers of the NY Times? Anyone who buys a cookbook? Anyone who props up a newspaper and reads a restaurant review? People in the food trades? eGulleteers?

In the ultimate scheme of things, a Beard award might mean little more than hanging a "Zagat" sign in the window. But ask Shaw, it's still a nice thing to put on a resume. :laugh:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Ruhlman, who really should not post while drunk, deserves this fucking award.

I, regrettably, will not be attending the ceremonies--until the audience is at least 50% Mexican.

Let's hope Aaron wins--and represents!

abourdain

If Michael wins he should have the boys from American Chopper build him a commemorative bike to go with the leather pants.

PS: Michael, you actually wear leather chaps when riding the bike, so don't confuse the two.

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I, for one, am very pleased with the nominations and not just because it's affording me the following shameless plug.

They happen to include two recent Gremolata contributors. Gina Mallet who's Last Chance to Eat is up for "Writing on Food" and (eGulleter) Natalie MacLean who has two nominations for "Magazine Writing on Spirits, Wine, or Beer" for 'Waiter, There’s a Flaw in My Wine' in Ottawa City Magazine and "MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award" for 'American Idol' at www.NatalieMacLean.com.

Very pleased, indeed.

Thanks Malcolm!

Natalie MacLean

Wine Newsletter Writer

www.nataliemaclean.com

So what's wrong with applying? It's called "submitting" in our circles. Uh . . . oh dear, radiators and all that.

What would the equivalent eGullet Society award be?

And I think we should have an official, sanctioned eGullet mudpie wrestling contest with the two most contentious posters of the year throwing each other around, barely clothed of course. No loafers or leather. In melted chocolate.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ahem...... Perhaps we could return to the regularly scheduled topic of the nominees? Michael, I'm sure you look outstanding in leather, but I don't think you got the nomination because you wear it... or don't. And we'll have no wrestling in chocolate either.

So maybe we could just get back to talking about the nominees and why they're good, bad or indifferent? That way, we can all play nice and I can leave the thread open.

thank you.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for those more in the know about the significance of The James Beard Foundation.

A while back I emailed them about my husband cooking there. To my surprise I received a very pleasant and detailed response involving the costs and logistics. The respondent suggested that an event involving my husband's cookbook (after it's been published obviously) would be a much more cost-effective way to get into the house so to speak. For lack of a better word is it considered prestigious for a cookbook/foodwriter to have such an event at the Beard House? Would it be silly not to do it?

Winners announced:

http://www.jamesbeard.org/about/press/pr/J...4a478dcbcf5f5ed

Congrats to Michael!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I just love the IDEA of "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book", even if I have no idea what's in it.

The award for Galatoire's seems an awful lot like a stunt. I mean it's hard to deny the place's quality, but are they even trying to deny that the fact that this is the 100th anniversary has something to do with it winning? No, in fact, they are announcing it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I just love the IDEA of "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book", even if I have  no idea what's in it.

I'm so pleased to see Beatrice Ojakangas get this recognition. "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book" is a beaut. Aside from that, Bea is a lovely person, charming and gracious, who's really done a lot to bring Scandanavian cookery to these shores. She won a Pillsbury Bake-Off oh, many years ago, and has gone on to greater works ever since. Her husband is just as fun and down-to-earth.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm so pleased to see Beatrice Ojakangas get this recognition.  "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book" is a beaut.  Aside from that, Bea is a lovely person, charming and gracious, who's really done a lot to bring Scandanavian cookery to these shores.  She won a Pillsbury Bake-Off oh, many years ago, and has gone on to greater works ever since.  Her husband is just as fun and down-to-earth.

I remember her well from her week-long stint on the now defunct Baker's Dozen which ran on FTV several years ago. I still have those episodes on VHS and they have been a solid resource. I'm definitely going to check out this book.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

It would be ncie to see a fw asian chefs making a name for themselves in the world, I noticed Nobu was on the list but that is located in america. Very hard to belive no great places to eat in the East. Maybe the criteria is surroundings more than the plate. Or places the judges have eaten, guess not enough culinarians are brave enough to head out east and enjoy the cuisines their.

It would be ncie to see a fw asian chefs making a name for themselves in the world, I noticed Nobu was on the list but that is located in america.  Very hard to belive no great places to eat in the East.  Maybe the criteria is surroundings more than the plate.  Or places the judges have eaten, guess not enough culinarians are brave enough to head out east and enjoy the cuisines their.

I'm pretty sure the awards are limited to the United States...which might explain this particualr bias.

I, for one, am very pleased with the nominations and not just because it's affording me the following shameless plug.

They happen to include two recent Gremolata contributors. Gina Mallet who's Last Chance to Eat is up for "Writing on Food" and (eGulleter) Natalie MacLean who has two nominations for "Magazine Writing on Spirits, Wine, or Beer" for 'Waiter, There’s a Flaw in My Wine' in Ottawa City Magazine and "MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award" for 'American Idol' at www.NatalieMacLean.com.

Very pleased, indeed.

VERY, VERY, VERY PLEASED! Huge congratulations to Gina and Natalie!

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com