• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ballpark Eats

mrbigjas

so yeah, so i bought a vegan burger, just on the principle that if they sell a few, they'll continue to offer the option.

Way to take one for the team!

hahaha, i didn't mean it that way, but that's how it ended up. having a little hot sauce available would have done wonders for the thing. and maybe a piece of lettuce for texture.

hahaha, i didn't mean it that way, but that's how it ended up.  having a little hot sauce available would have done wonders for the thing.  and maybe a piece of lettuce for texture.

I'll bet some roast pork would make it really tasty!! :laugh:

Does anyone know if they have tofu dogs? I'm not a vegetarian, but as long as we're talking about options, I wonder if they have them.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Anybody ever find out why Rick's Steaks took over for Geno's? Just wondering.

Also I'm gonna stick up for Bull's BBQ. When you're hungry and the other lines are too long, I think their pork sandwich is more than serviceable. It's probably even wrong to say that being that Tony Luke's is a few hundred feet away, but you're looking at a two-inning wait in that line, as opposed to an at-bat-and-a-half wait at Bull's. At least worth mentioning. Between me and my friends we've sampled Bull's ribs and roast beef, neither which are above average. But more and more often when we get hungry, we just run up to Bull's a grab a pork sandwich cause there's almost never a line there and I think it's actually kind of good. Then I grab a Troegs or Sly Fox on my way back to my seat and I'm gone for half an inning, tops.

For the record let me state that if a Tony Luke's pork sandwich and a Bull's BBQ pork sandwich are sitting next to each other and I have to choose between the two, I will never, ever, EVER choose Bull's. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you don't really get to the park too often (or South Philly for that matter) then by all means, reward yourself and wait in the Tony Luke's line. But if you're a CBP veteran and are tired of the lines at TL's, Chickie's and even Rick's, give Bull's pork sandwich a shot. It might be worth it.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Also I'm gonna stick up for Bull's BBQ.  When you're hungry and the other lines are too long, I think their pork sandwich is more than serviceable.  It's probably even wrong to say that being that Tony Luke's is a few hundred feet away, but you're looking at a two-inning wait in that line, as opposed to an at-bat-and-a-half wait at Bull's.  At least worth mentioning.  Between me and my friends we've sampled Bull's ribs and roast beef, neither which are above average.  But more and more often when we get hungry, we just run up to Bull's a grab a pork sandwich cause there's almost never a line there and I think it's actually kind of good.  Then I grab a Troegs or Sly Fox on my way back to my seat and I'm gone for half an inning, tops.

For the record let me state that if a Tony Luke's pork sandwich and a Bull's BBQ pork sandwich are sitting next to each other and I have to choose between the two, I will never, ever, EVER choose Bull's.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you don't really get to the park too often (or South Philly for that matter) then by all means, reward yourself and wait in the Tony Luke's line.  But if you're a CBP veteran and are tired of the lines at TL's, Chickie's and even Rick's, give Bull's pork sandwich a shot.  It might be worth it.

Agreed. Bull's BBQ is not bad. We had Bulls the last time we were there, since the line at Tony Luke's was pretty long (it was also rainy and cold and I didn't feel like waiting). I preferred their brisket over the pork. Also, Greg "the Bull" Luzinski is usually somewhere around to chat.

If I had a choice between Tony Luke's pork over Bull's, it's a no brainer. Definitely Tony Luke's. Damn. Now I'm having a jonesin' for a pork sammich.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

my initial reaction in seeing this thread bumped up is that i can identify many things that qualify as "what's crap" at the ballpark recently, but i digress as they have nothing to do with the food... grumble, grumble :angry:

Haven't been down this year, but I chose a Schmitter last year to beat the other Philly sammie lines.

Not Chestnut Hill, but pretty good. Certainly not dollar dog value, which I valued several times at another game.

Unless something's done about that pitching, lines won't be a problem...

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Not Chestnut Hill, but pretty good.  Certainly not dollar dog value, which I valued several times at another game.

speakinawhich, someone over on chowhound reported that there's a permanent dollar dog stand, down in the phanatic fun zone or whatever. smaller dogs, but only $1, all the time! i'll be investigating soon and will report back.

Yeah, it's opposite the Citizens ATM next to the Phanatic's Kid Zone, around 118-119. Kids dogs for a dollar, kids milk and kids Hi-C for a buck as well. Not bad, although my toddler refused the hot dog, opting for the $3.75 container of insultingly stale popcorn. Oh, well - at least I missed a lot of the frustrating innings.

owner, Rx

Yeah, it's opposite the Citizens ATM next to the Phanatic's Kid Zone, around 118-119. Kids dogs for a dollar, kids milk and kids Hi-C for a buck as well. Not bad, although my toddler refused the hot dog, opting for the $3.75 container of insultingly stale popcorn. Oh, well - at least I missed a lot of the frustrating innings.

sweet! for children, or just for those of us who are immature (and cheap). i'm there.

What's crap is the sausage and pepper sandwich. Even if my sausage were not burnt - not just grill marks but burnt - they have the concept wrong.

Cheap flavorless sausage - it wasn't italian sausage even if the vendor says so. I tasted no anise. There was no option of putting gravy (spugeddy sos for your merkins) on top like a place at the beach. bleah.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

I had a cheesesteak from a vendor in the Hall of Fame section on Saturday night, and it was pretty damn good. It was made to order, not just sitting wrapped in foil under a heat lamp, and I just got a plain cheesesteak. It comes with really good kettled cooked chips, which are also fried right there, not just dumped out from a bag. This led to an idea. Some of the meat and cheese from my steak fell onto the chips, which of course I just scooped up and ate, and they were awesome. They should come out with "cheesesteak chips" and put them on the menu. Just like nachos, but not really. Anyway to judge the steak, I'd say it's just as good as a place like Chubby's. It can't hold a flame to the best places in town, but it's definitely better than your local pizza shop.

Homer Simpson

The KC Royals (under David Glass), not content to have the worst team in baseball, also features THE WORST food. Every time I visit another park (essentially, every time I travel to another MLB city) I am reminded of how good it can be and how pathetic the concessions are. Lamentable.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

We were at the game on Friday 7/7. We had Schmitters, which is a real good sandwich. Plenty of grease to go around, in fact my wife had hers go flying all over her on first chomp, she had a shirt that would make Holly Moore proud.

I believe Chase Utley had one right before the game started as the dead double play ball he dropped and than could not pick up in the first made it appear his glove had a Schmitter in it.

The Tony Luke's line was so long I did not even think about it. Rick's was not much shorter. Our wifes wanted Chickies and Pete's crab fries. That line was long as well but moved quickly. They were really not to bad, however whatever is in essence of crab that they sprinkle on the fries I really do not care to know.

My seat was on the aisle and I watched a never ending parade of folks coming back from the stands with all sorts of stuff. Somebody made a pile of money on Friday night selling food and drinks.

I almost always have a hot dog at the game. I did not this time as the Schmitter and the fries filled me up.

I have had much worse sandwiches and fries at places other than a ballgame

Edited by lancastermike (log)

• 1 month later...

Sadly, the Phillies bullpen did its thing again tonight.

But I was there with a group and our tickets included a voucher. While it pitched a dog and a soda, the fine print said good for $7 at any stand.

I got on line at Tony Lukes about 6:40. I cleared the stand as the national anthem started, carrying two roast pork sammies and two foam cup of broccoli rabe. Good sammie!

Around the 7th, one of my colleagues gave me two more vouchers, so I picked up a couple of Schmitters®. There were a bunch ready (over ready, actually,) but my buddy can't eat onions so his was cooked to order witout. If you're there late in the game, drop one of the ingredients to get a freshly made sandwich. (Or request no dressing, then ask for just a little before it's wrapped.) Also a good sammie. Either's a real winner at the ballpark.

I didn't need that second sandwich, but I'm going to Alinea with Ronnie Suburban in October and I haven't had a three hour plus meal since Shola closed SK. So I'll consider it training table.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

but I'm going to Alinea with Ronnie Suburban in October and I haven't had a three hour plus meal since Shola closed SK. So I'll consider it training table.

Color me pea green with envy. Both for the meal and the fabulous company. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 months later...

It's that time of year again. Had a pulled pork and kielbasa sandwich from Bull's BBQ yesterday and it was killer. It's gonna be a while before I get tired of that place. Bull's is such a clutch spot because the pulled pork sandwich and kielbasa are awesome and there's almost never a long line. My friends, who admittedly have less discriminating palates then probably anyone who reads this board, all swear by the pulled pork. I threw one down and then noticed the grill guy about to pull some freshly-grilled kielbasa off, and it looked so good that I jumped right back in line. I'm definitely glad I did. It was $7.50 and almost the length of my forearm so I'd say it's a good value. If the product on the field can match the products in the stands, it should be an awesome summer.

Homer Simpson

• 4 weeks later...

Citizens Bank Park won a Food Network viewer's choice award for "Best Ballpark Eats", or something along those lines, beating out Safeco Field in Seattle, AT&T Field in San Fran, and Camden Yards in Baltimore. Not bad, I guess. Certainly better than the Vet!

Homer Simpson

• 2 months later...

i was at the game last friday night way up in the nosebleeds, and i got a hot dog and.... it was good! like, really good. it caught me off guard because in the past couple of years i've found the dogs at the park to be terrible. so if you're up near section 432 or so, you might get something decent...

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is all about baseball... but in other ballpark news, is there any good food at the Linc?

I'm going to my first Eagles game ever tonight (even though it's just a preseason game, I'm still excited) and I need food. And I would stop by Hardena beforehand, but I think we're just barely going to make it back into the city by the time the game starts. So that means stadium food. Suggestions?

I know this thread is all about baseball... but in other ballpark news, is there any good food at the Linc?

I'm going to my first Eagles game ever tonight (even though it's just a preseason game, I'm still excited) and I need food. And I would stop by Hardena beforehand, but I think we're just barely going to make it back into the city by the time the game starts. So that means stadium food. Suggestions?

Good luck. The food at Lincoln Field is really lame. At Citizens Bank Park you can do pretty well. Not so at the Linc. I would advise TRYING to eat before you get there.

Yeah find a good tailgate in the parking lot. The Linc has your average stadium food fare with a few Chickie's and Pete's stands mixed in, and I believe they added a stand that sells the Schmitter. The food inside isn't too bad, isn't too good either. But I wasn't being sarcastic about finding a good tailgate. There are plently of people who set up shop and just grill food in the parking lot the entire game. Just gotta ask around.

Football is an entirely different beast because of the tailgating aspect. Most people either tailgate or just hit Sarcone's on the way down to the game. Since it's a Friday night game, though, I guess Sarcone's is out.

GO BIRDS!!!

Homer Simpson

Just to add to what has already been mentioned...the Linc is the inverse of the BYO world of Philly. There are a few stands where you can actually get some decent local beer (Yards, Flying Fish, Victory), so you can get the alcohol but for food, I would suggest you BYOH - Bring Your Own Hoagie (and make sure its wrapped in plastic wrap to avoid confiscation by "security"). At least this applies if you are sitting with the common folk, where my seats are. If you are fortunate enough to sit in the club level, the food is not too bad, though ridiculously expensive. Citizen's Bank definitely outshines the Linc in terms of food, but, for me, its football so I don't really care! :biggrin:

I don't know if they're up and running yet, but Joe Sixpack says Johnny Brenda's will have a stand at the Linc, serving beer and food.

That same article mentions that there's a local food presence, including the Schmitter, and food from Shank and Evelyn's. So it might not be so bleak after all...

(Thanks to foobooz for the heads-up.)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com