• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ballpark Eats

mrbigjas

i didn't see a thread on this, and i go to quite a few ball games throughout the season, so i figured i'd start one.

taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather, we went to the phils game last night and didn't have time to pick up something good to eat beforehand. so continuing the unhealthiest day of eating ever, we bought food there. even with an announced crowd of 23K, the lines were still pretty damn long at genos, at the crab fries stand, and at tony luke's, so i stopped by bull's bbq for a bbq beef sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich. and i'll tell you, we can debate all day about what the best bbq is in philadelphia, and this stand will never ever come up.

actually, the pork is OK, with a tangy, spicy sauce. the beef is... well, it would be an ok roast beef sandwich if it came au jus or with horseradish sauce and cheddar. but neither it nor the pork had any trace of smoky flavor that i could discern. also you wanna talk about dry? that beef was... woo.

i mean, not that you expect much quality from a ballpark stand. but in case you were wondering, there you have it.

so anyway, wrapup from last year and this:

schmitter: good.

bull's: sucks.

hotdogs: pretty much suck, but sometimes they're $1.

i didn't see a thread on this, and i go to quite a few ball games throughout the season, so i figured i'd start one.

taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather, we went to the phils game last night and didn't have time to pick up something good to eat beforehand.  so continuing the unhealthiest day of eating ever, we bought food there.  even with an announced crowd of 23K, the lines were still pretty damn long at genos, at the crab fries stand, and at tony luke's, so i stopped  by bull's bbq for a bbq beef sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich.  and i'll tell you, we can debate all day about what the best bbq is in philadelphia, and this stand will never ever come up.

actually, the pork is OK, with a tangy, spicy sauce.  the beef is... well, it would be an ok roast beef sandwich if it came au jus or with horseradish sauce and cheddar.  but neither it nor the pork had any trace of smoky flavor that i could discern.  also you wanna talk about dry?  that beef was... woo.

i mean, not that you expect much quality from a ballpark stand.  but in case you were wondering, there you have it.

Have not yet gotten to ballpark this year. However that schmitter is one good sandwich, I am waiting to have one as soon as I get to a game. The Tony Luke line is out of control and I just won't wait that long

actually, the pork is OK, with a tangy, spicy sauce.  the beef is... well, it would be an ok roast beef sandwich if it came au jus or with horseradish sauce and cheddar.  but neither it nor the pork had any trace of smoky flavor that i could discern.  also you wanna talk about dry?  that beef was... woo.

i mean, not that you expect much quality from a ballpark stand.  but in case you were wondering, there you have it.

Mrs Rockhopper is from Texas (grain of salt) and will endure a phillies game with me only if she gets the bbq pork sandwich. I don't think it's bad either but you're right about the smoky flavor. I'd eat one again.

The regular hot dogs absolutely suck. I don't know if there is a suckosity scale but they would be at the bottom. I haven't tried the "upscale" dogs they have yet. Anyone?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

the weird thing is, i remember the hot dogs at the vet growing up to be pretty decent. and they were always served in a potato roll, which i think is a great complement to any hot dog.

but they suck enough at CBP that i sat up and took notice of their suckitude. which is confusing to me.

I was at the park for the home opener and I'll be attending two more (at least) in the next month. I went to a bunch of games last year and didn't manage to hit any of the stands. Last year the lines were always just about a half hour wait, and I'm way too busy watching the game and drinking to take a break and stand in line. I can comment on the dogs though, since there's usually a guy walking around with them. Let me say that the only time I buy dogs at the stadium is on dollar dog day, and it's usually after about 5 or 6 beers, and they still suck. Me and my friends try to get at least one D.D.D. a year, and everybody has one just for the hell of it. Some of my friends actually like them. One of my brave friends actually tries to accomplish the three 9's on D.D.D., which is 9 dogs and 9 beers in 9 innings. He's been trying for about 6 years now and hasn't done it yet. As you can probably imagine, the 9 beers aren't the problem. On a Geno's note, some of my friends have braved the line. They said there was no difference between the steaks at the park and the original location. They're even priced the same, which was absolutely shocking to me. I thought that they'd try and get $8 or $9 at the park, but they're $6.25.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

• 11 months later...

There's been a few changes at CBP this year. I was there yesterday for the exhibition game vs. the Red Sox, and I'll be there for the home opener again this afternoon. The most noticable change is Geno's is now gone and has been replcaed by Rick's Steaks from the Reading Terminal. Does anyone have any info on the reasons for the change? I would think that Geno's would've tried to keep their stand being that it appeared to be a goldmine. There was ALWAYS a line that snaked it's way throughout Ashburn Alley. And in my previous post I had said that their prices were the same as their original location, however throughout the season last year their prices shot up to $7.50. I would have thought that they were basically printing money, but I guess not.

Also there was an article by Don Russell a.k.a Joe Sixpack about the addition of some new brews at the park. Yesterday I sampled Victory's HopDevil and Troegs' Sunshine Pils along with my old standby, Yuengling Lager. My favorite of the three was the Sunshine Pils, where it is conveniently on tap behind my Sunday season ticket seats in Section 104. Say that fast three times.

I did bite the bullet and wait in the Tony Luke's line yesterday for a roast pork sandwich. It was 15 minutes that was WELL worth it. Their pork sandwich was every bit as good as the Front and Oregon location. You really can't beat a Tony Luke's pork sandwich, a few nice, cold microbrews and a Phil's game on a gloriously sunny afternoon, which is exactly what we got yesterday. I'm not sure how well the team will do this season, but we really do have an excellent venue for watching them.

Homer Simpson

i'm going down today too, and am looking forward to NO RAIN.

i have to admit that last year i finally bit the bullet and waited in the tony luke's line, and they were out of greens, but i ordered the pork sandwich anyway, and when i got back to my seat i realized they'd given me a cheesesteak instead of pork. it was an outrage.

ok it wasn't THAT big a deal, but still.

I know this is a baseball stadium thread, but I wanted to add a recent Philly stadium find. While attending the NCAA basketball sub regional at the Wachovia Center, we were looking for some chow. Mostly the same dreary expensive stuff you see in all arenas. Then I came upon a stand on the upper concourse that had a Campo's sign. They were selling 4 different sandwiches from Campo's, two kinds of Italians, a meatball and a turkey, I think. They put them together when you order them so you can get what you want on them. We had a Mama Mia (see Campo's menu at http://www.phillyhoagie.com/phillycheesesteakmenu.htm).

Best stadium food I've had in forever. Never had a Campo's sandwich at the store on Market street, but these were very good, nice roll, good meats, fresh toppings. $7.75 and big enough to share, a relative bargain as well for you Sixers and Flyers fans.

As I'm a just visiting the family, I've only been once, but the Tony Luke's line moves at light speed. They don't have the full menu, just cheesesteak and pork Italiano, so they move you through quickly because they churn 'em out and have them seperated by the "wits" and "witout" already.

Yes I can figure out the origin of the name (assuming there is a "d" in there), but what exactly is a Schmidter?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I know this is a baseball stadium thread, but I wanted to add a recent Philly stadium find.  While attending the NCAA basketball sub regional at the Wachovia Center, we were looking for some chow.  Mostly the same dreary expensive stuff you see in all arenas.  Then I came upon a stand on the upper concourse that had a Campo's sign.  They were selling 4 different sandwiches from Campo's, two kinds of Italians, a meatball and a turkey, I think.  They put them together when you order them so you can get what you want on them.  We had a Mama Mia (see Campo's menu at http://www.phillyhoagie.com/phillycheesesteakmenu.htm).

Best stadium food I've had in forever.  Never had a Campo's sandwich at the store on Market street, but these were very good, nice roll, good meats, fresh toppings.  $7.75 and big enough to share, a relative bargain as well for you Sixers and Flyers fans.

I see I'm going to have to drop by the Old City location soon. They have a "Bar-B-Que Cheesesteak" on the menu--with bacon and mozzarella. :hmmm:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I know this is a baseball stadium thread, but I wanted to add a recent Philly stadium find.  While attending the NCAA basketball sub regional at the Wachovia Center, we were looking for some chow.  Mostly the same dreary expensive stuff you see in all arenas.  Then I came upon a stand on the upper concourse that had a Campo's sign.  They were selling 4 different sandwiches from Campo's, two kinds of Italians, a meatball and a turkey, I think.  They put them together when you order them so you can get what you want on them.  We had a Mama Mia (see Campo's menu at http://www.phillyhoagie.com/phillycheesesteakmenu.htm).

Best stadium food I've had in forever.  Never had a Campo's sandwich at the store on Market street, but these were very good, nice roll, good meats, fresh toppings.  $7.75 and big enough to share, a relative bargain as well for you Sixers and Flyers fans.

I see I'm going to have to drop by the Old City location soon. They have a "Bar-B-Que Cheesesteak" on the menu--with bacon and mozzarella. :hmmm:

Campo's hoagies are great, as are their homemade soups. Great little shop putting out really excellent product.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

update: yesterday at the park regular hot dogs were nowhere to be found, at least in the upper levels (read: crappy seats) where we sit. instead, there were 'all beef hot dogs' for $3.25 (used to be $2.75 for dogs) at all the stands.

i got one, and it was good! while, generally speaking, i prefer hot dogs made of pork products--or a mixture of pork and beef, or whatever is generally used in 'regular' hot dogs--the dogs at the park last year were so bad that this is a definite improvement.

update: yesterday at the park regular hot dogs were nowhere to be found, at least in the upper levels (read: crappy seats) where we sit.  instead, there were 'all beef hot dogs' for $3.25 (used to be $2.75 for dogs) at all the stands. 

i got one, and it was good!  while, generally speaking, i prefer hot dogs made of pork products--or a mixture of pork and beef, or whatever is generally used in 'regular' hot dogs--the dogs at the park last year were so bad that this is a definite improvement.

Well, even if there's price increase(and when isn't there some increase, whether its tix, food or parking), I suppose its preferable to pay 50 cents more for a good hot dog than 50 cents less for a terrible one. At least there are some decent food options at Citizens Bank. In sharp contrast, the concessions at the Linc are atrocious. After the sampling the fare at the first few Eagles games there, I was so thankful that management saw past that "huge security risk" that allowing fans to bring their own hoagies presented.

I've been to 7 straight home openers now, with 5 of those 7 having crappy weather. Yesterday was pretty brutal. I can deal with chilly temps, but it's really tough to stand an occasionally driving rain. It's nearly impossible to tolerate when the home team is getting shelled the way the Phil's did yesterday. But I did hang around long enough to get some good drinking and eating in.

My friends were in charge of getting the beer, and they're all punks so I wasn't surprised to see 3 coolers full of Coors/Miller/Bud Light. PUNKS I tell you. So I was very happy to see Sly Fox on tap right behind my seats. I believe it was their Extra Pale Ale, but I could be wrong. I liked it slightly better than the Troegs I was drinking on Sunday, but not enough to go seek it out if it wasn't close.

We brought hoagies from Brother's deli with us. Brother's is an excellent semi-new deli in East Falls. They stand up to any South Philly hoagie maker. That is no BS. I know they get their rolls delivered from South Philly I'm just not sure of the bakery. One of my friends lost a bet, so we made him get in line at Tony Luke's. This was right after the top of the 5th inning, and he came back with all cheesesteaks because they were already out of pork sandwiches. Crazy.

On a complete side note, I had the pleasure of performing jury duty today. The only thing that got me through the morning was the Dinic's roast pork that I knew I'd be getting at lunch. It was great, but I must be honest, I liked the Tony Luke's sandwich that I had on Sunday at the stadium a little bit better. It's rare that I get to have two of the best pork sandwiches on the planet within 2 days of each other, so I'm pretty content for the time being.

Last but not least, if anybody's wondering, this Sunday is the first dollar dog day of the season. The Phils will be taking on the Los Angeles Dodgers. Hopefully they'll do better than they did on Monday.

Homer Simpson

My friends were in charge of getting the beer, and they're all punks so I wasn't surprised to see 3 coolers full of Coors/Miller/Bud Light. PUNKS I tell you. So I was very happy to see Sly Fox on tap right behind my seats. I believe it was their Extra Pale Ale, but I could be wrong. I liked it slightly better than the Troegs I was drinking on Sunday, but not enough to go seek it out if it wasn't close.

i'm waiting for them sly fox cans to show up at stone's, where i usually get my beer. good for tailgating...

i'm waiting for them sly fox cans to show up at stone's, where i usually get my beer. good for tailgating...

I don't know if they're bottling or canning their products yet. Our CGJ (Chef Jose Garces) IPA is from Sly Fox and as soon as they bottle it, we'll be selling it in our retail department in the bar for sure.

Sly Fox makes some really good beer. In fact, I don't think there's a bad one in their whole product line.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That sly fox is really good,I hit their line at the Brewers plate a few times.

And they did have cans .

Edited by Greg Ling (log)

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

i'm waiting for them sly fox cans to show up at stone's, where i usually get my beer.  good for tailgating...

I don't know if they're bottling or canning their products yet. Our CGJ (Chef Jose Garces) IPA is from Sly Fox and as soon as they bottle it, we'll be selling it in our retail department in the bar for sure.

Sly Fox makes some really good beer. In fact, I don't think there's a bad one in their whole product line.

you got that right. i gotta get out to their brewpub one of these days.

i don't know if they're for sale yet, but they definitely had the canned stuff at the beer day up at the penn museum a couple weeks ago.

• 2 months later...

yeah, you're going to pay $6.75 for a sly fox, or a victory hop devil, or a flying fish (i forget which one they generally have). but they are available.

last game i went to, i got the vegan burger. did i want it? not really, but i think that ballparks should be thinking like that more often, so i bought it on principle. i think it was a boca burger. anyway, it was as bland and mushy as you might imagine.

i haven't seen much else new of interest this year at the park.

(as an aside, i have bought a case each of the sly fox pikeland pils and .... the pale ale, i forget the name, in cans. and besides the fact that i think that brewery makes fantastic beer, for some reason i'm really enjoying the cans. i think it's because my fridge has a can holder. but i'd like to think it's a tribute to my upstate pennsylvania, cans of red white & blue and/or pabst and/or gennesee roots. it's a serious mental disconnect to drop $25 on a case of canned beer, though).

last game i went to, i got the vegan burger.  did i want it?  not really, but i think that ballparks should be thinking like that more often, so i bought it on principle.  i think it was a boca burger.  anyway, it was as bland and mushy as you might imagine.

Funny, because I wouldn't order a vegan burger on principle. :biggrin: Is it possible to eat responsibly at a ballgame? Should you even try? Think of how you could change the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", buy me some veggie burgers and tofu snacks, if you do then I'll never come back....

Hey, I just try to leave the park in condition to drive home. Thats as responsible as I can be.

last game i went to, i got the vegan burger.  did i want it?  not really, but i think that ballparks should be thinking like that more often, so i bought it on principle.  i think it was a boca burger.  anyway, it was as bland and mushy as you might imagine.

Funny, because I wouldn't order a vegan burger on principle. :biggrin: Is it possible to eat responsibly at a ballgame? Should you even try? Think of how you could change the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", buy me some veggie burgers and tofu snacks, if you do then I'll never come back....

Hey, I just try to leave the park in condition to drive home. Thats as responsible as I can be.

oh it's not about eating responsibly.

there are a hell of a lot of people out there who don't eat meat; and while i don't think that people who make that lifestyle choice should be pandered to at the expense of everyone else, providing them with an option at the ballpark besides fries with a 'cheese cup' is, i think, the least that ballparks should do.

so yeah, so i bought a vegan burger, just on the principle that if they sell a few, they'll continue to offer the option.