• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slurpees and other frozen drinks

Pam R

I like the cold Sonic ice drinks as well. After a hike we had a the giant limeade slush and it was just perfect. Another time I had the lemon slush blended with soft serve ice cream.

I like freezing cans of diet coke in my home freezer until they are slushy. I've got the timing down just right... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I like the cold Sonic ice drinks as well.  After a hike we had a the giant limeade slush and it was just perfect.  Another time I had the lemon slush blended with soft serve ice cream.

I like freezing cans of diet coke in my home freezer until they are slushy.  I've got the timing down just right... :smile:

In my furture travels I'll keep an eye open for Sonic. Several positive posts about them. Is a Sonic ice drink close to a Dairy Queen Ice Drink?

I just pulled a bottle of ice tea out of the freezer :wink: . Slushy goodness.

I like the cold Sonic ice drinks as well.  After a hike we had a the giant limeade slush and it was just perfect.  Another time I had the lemon slush blended with soft serve ice cream.

I like freezing cans of diet coke in my home freezer until they are slushy.  I've got the timing down just right... :smile:

In my furture travels I'll keep an eye open for Sonic. Several positive posts about them. Is a Sonic ice drink close to a Dairy Queen Ice Drink?

I just pulled a bottle of ice tea out of the freezer :wink: . Slushy goodness.

I haven't been to Dairy Queen for a long time so I can't compare.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

My 2 cents...

Dairy Queen Mr. Misty's are much more potent and "artificial" tasting. Not that that's a bad thing... blue raspberry flavoring has it's place in my book. Sonic's are a little looser in texture and have a nice clean flavor. Yum.

Despite the fact that I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffeee or espresso I've always liked their frozen frappuccino. My issue with it has been the fact that it's a bit tooo sweet but their new "affrogato" option works for me. (affrogato in quotes because a real afffrogato is espresso over ice cream and this ain't that!).

For an extra 65 cents or 75 cents they'll toss a shot of espresso on top of your frappuccino and drizzle a bit of chocolate or caramel syrup on it. If it ever warms up here in the frozen rainy north I might just go out for one on my lunch hour.

At Starbucks I always order a decaf Frappuccino with a shot of espresso in it, and a stippling of caramel sauce, yum!

Now, if only they had a less fattening whipped cream! :shock: I just can't handle the real heavy cream stuff that Starbucks indulges in! I'm a butterfat weakling. :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

shh.. I like the green tea frap... :wink:

Peet's Coffee used to have green tea and I think jasmine tea frozen smoothie drinks with mlk in them. I really liked them but they discontinued them. Smooth, creamy, cold, not too sweet and a great tea flavor. I've tried making the green tea frappe at home but it is difficult to emulate the texture.

• 1 month later...

For those keeping score (unless you live here, I doubt anybody is), Winnipeg has been named the Slurpee capitol of the world for the 7th consecutive year.

From the Winnipeg Sun:

The company will present Mayor Sam Katz with a bronzed Slurpee Cup at its 1622 St. Mary’s Ave. location on Tuesday.

“We really appreciate how Manitobans love Slurpees and we’re thrilled to be able to award the cup again this year,” said Smith. Smith said “Slurpee runs” have become a Winnipeg tradition.

I just bought one at that store on Saturday! Do you think they'll keep the bronzed cup in the mayor's office?

To celebrate, 7-100 gave away 1000 free slurpees at each store in the city. Apparently Calgary thinks they can take over the title... but we Winnipegers will make sure to keep up our end of the deal.

We're having the hottest summer we've had in years - so I'm betting we get a head start for next year's title.

I don't really dig the Slurpee flavours. (Can I still post on this thread?)

But I did get a frozen slushy-type drink at a truck at the Toronto Maple Leaf's game last weekend. (That'd be the baseball team at Christie Pits). And, brainfreeze did shortly follow.

I did read somewhere in the last couple of days that brain freeze (is it one word or two - I've played it both ways here) can be alleviated by pressing your tongue as hard as you can into the roof of your mouth. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I did read somewhere in the last couple of days that brain freeze (is it one word or two - I've played it both ways here) can be alleviated by pressing your tongue as hard as you can into the roof of your mouth. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Completely true. Works like a charm.

And of course you can still post!

The BEST thing after chemo(other than a good bit of Morphine) is a diet Slurpee. :wub: It's excellent for nausea and if you DO have to "send it back"- the return trip isn't terrible. I am mapping out every 7-11 in New Brunswick for my upcoming rounds! Every cloud has a silver lining! :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

The BEST thing after chemo(other than a good bit of Morphine) is a diet Slurpee.  :wub: It's excellent for nausea and if you DO have to "send it back"- the return trip isn't terrible. I am mapping out every 7-11 in New Brunswick for my upcoming rounds! Every cloud has a silver lining! :raz:

Rebecca - I do hope you're doing well - and wish you gezunt heit (my yiddish is pretty non-existent - hope that makes sense). Take care of yourself - and if a slurpee helps, drink plenty.

It's so fricken hot here, I stopped at 7-11 on my way home and picked up a slurpee (pepsi). People were lining up for them. For some reason, it seemed sweeter than usual though :sad: . Pheh. Too hot even for a slurpee.

Diet Coca Cola is the only flavor for me, I'm going to marry the next boy who offers to buy me my own Slurpee machine and keep it stocked with that 'crack' of the frozen beverage world! OK, that's only if I don't get an offer from a boy with an easy to pronounce/spell/write last name, first. :laugh:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

We don't have diet ones here - for a while they had the Crystal Lite ones - but not anymore.

I had a slush machine once - good times - all you had to do was pour soda in (or other liquids) - but diet drinks didn't freeze properly. It's the sugar content. I have no idea how they make diet slurpees.

I wonder if the American (icee/frothier/airy) ones work differently than the Canadian ones.

Over here in Australia we like to drink our beer when there are ice crystals forming amounst the liquid. I love to crack open a can on a hot day and take a very large drink. Mmmmmm freezing cold beer....so cold your teeth turn to jelly. :blink:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

• 2 weeks later...

Since returning to Winnipeg 2 weeks ago, I have treated myself to 3 1/6 frozen beverages. The 1/6 frozen beverage is the left-over avocado bubble tea that was waiting for me in the car when I walked out of the airport upon return! Except I don't really like the avocado one, so I really only had a couple of sips (which was fine with my mother, because she wanted it all!).

The end of that first week, I had a slurpee from Mac's (is it a Frostee? Froster?). Pure Pepsi. It was great, but it left me with an unpleasant side effect.

Anyone know what's in a slurpee that might give a person stomach upset of the runny kind?

I'm trying again today with a Slurpee from the 7-11 of my childhood/teenage years. It's one of the dirtiest 7-11's I've been to, even though it's in a pretty good neighbourhood, but I had to get a grape/pepsi combo. Unfortunately, after I filled my cup I saw that they had....Barq's Root Beer slurpees!!!! Crap! :sad: I debated throwing out what I already had, or getting an additional small-sized one with just root beer, but I couldn't do it. And I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks in the US!

Edited to add: I also had a frozen strawberry daiquiri last night to go with my nachos at C&M! Yum!

I hope they still have the root beer ones when I get back next month!

Edited by prasantrin (log)