• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slurpees and other frozen drinks

Pam R

Am I the only one who loves an ice-cold frozen beverage?

Today is a beautiful spring day. On my way to pick up my all-season tires (my ice-tired need to be changed now that spring is here), I HAD to pick up a Slurpee. Nice day = Frozen beverage.

According to slurpee.com my hometown of Winnipeg consumes more Slurpees than anywhere else in the world. Are we the only place that have caught on to this wonderful refreshment?

No 7-Elevens in Quebec so I'll have to wait until I'm back in Western Canada. I prefer the "traditional" flavor; the Brain Freeze Slurpee has an odd aftertaste but it was promoted with a really cool keychain.

Edited by wattacetti (log)

I have an important question: Why are American Slurpees so terrible?

In Canada, a slurpee is like slush. It's liquid that's frozen. In the US they are like frozen flavoured air. Why do you think they are so different? I bet if they were as good down there as they are up here, they'd be drinking them as much as us.

I'm pretty much a purist. Pepsi. Occasionally I'll layer some cream soda... perhaps some grape. That's about it.

I have been known to drive 20 miles out of my way to find a 7/11 with a working Slurpee machine. I adore the diet Coca Cola flavor.

I missed this. DIET Coca Cola? Whatcha talking about Willis? I've never seen diet.... :shock:

I have an important question: Why are American Slurpees so terrible?

In Canada, a slurpee is like slush.  It's liquid that's frozen.  In the US they are like frozen flavoured air.  Why do you think they are so different?  I bet if they were as good down there as they are up here, they'd be drinking them as much as us. 

I'm pretty much a purist.  Pepsi.  Occasionally I'll layer some cream soda... perhaps some grape.  That's about it.

Why do American Kit Kat bars taste terrible? But I digress… could it be that they're just shortchanging our neighbors to the south? More air = same relative volume with less syrup.

I absolutely love frozen drinks, and get them whenever I can. Even in freezing weather in the dead of winter when I was a grad student in Boston, I'd still get the Icee while the rest of my friends got steaming hot coffee. And always coke flavor.

edited to add that American ICEES/slurpees didn't used to be all fluffy air. They used to be as great as the ones you Canadians still get. I think they became shitty about five years ago or so. But I still love them to a certain degree and still get one from time to time.

Edited by slyaspie (log)

I didn't know that they used to be the same in the US. I agree though - when I'm in the States I'll still drink an ICEE and think about how much better they are at home.

In the winter, when I have a sore throat, nothing makes it feel better than an ice-cold slush does.

We do drink them all-year here - that's how we're the top consumers in the world. Detroit is the top US city by the way.

I also wonder about different flavours around the world... while in Australia I remember having mango and banana. I would love another mango. Any interesting flavours out there?

I missed this.  DIET Coca Cola?  Whatcha talking about Willis?  I've never seen diet....  :shock:

We had Diet Pepsi Slurpees in our area about a year ago. It wasn't quite in the same league as Coca Cola Slurpees but it was still tasty. And guilt free!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I thought it was the sugar that gave the slurpee the slushy consistency (or corn syrup). I would have thought without the sugar it would freeze more solid.

Anybody know the mechanics involved?

I don't know the mechanics involved, but since my move to NJ I DO know that you MUST go to a 7/11 to find the diet Coca Cola flavor, as I have yet to find it at the other convenience stores. What's the name of the place up here? Oh, Wawa. I went to a few and couldn't find the diet flavor, so I looked up 7/11 on the 'net. I can only assure you that diet Coca Cola flavor Slurpee is available at the 7/11 on Route 9 just North of Englishtown. Meet me there and I'll share my next hunt (for a coconut fruit pie) with you.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I never go into gas stations (pay at the pump baby!), but all of the local Target's seem to have a snack counter that beckons me to order a cherry slushy thing, with it's tongue slicing straw/spoon. Those first few sips are pure bliss, and then the magic is gone. :sad:

I love the Dairy Queen Mr. Misty slushy thing. You get to enjoy all of it, no matter how fast you drink it... no pile of flavorless ice/ice-air left in the bottom of the cup. If I'm feeling a little sassy, I'll order the Mr. Misty Freeze... Mr. Misty blended with vanilla soft serve. Yuuuummmm!

Hm... 10:23pm... I wonder if the Q is still open...

I love the Dairy Queen Mr. Misty slushy thing.  You get to enjoy all of it, no matter how fast you drink it... no pile of flavorless ice/ice-air left in the bottom of the cup. 

Mr. Misty is better than an American Icee, but I think they're a little too chunky. If those are my 2 choices, Mr. Misty it is.

On the drive home from work on a beautiful evening:

gallery_25849_641_74030.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tried a new strawberry banana today (as it finally hit 29 C). It was really good - but there wasn't even a hint of banana.

They also had a crystal-light flavour - I didn't try it as am not a huge fan of the stuff, but I'll give it a try eventually - hoping to get the same pleasure, less sugar.

Any other new flavours out there?

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but in gas stations in Maine, the Slush Puppy rules all. They have the "pump-it-yourself" flavors for all to enjoy, wiht cherry, grape, apple, lime, lemon, raspberry, tutti frutti, blue raspberry, strawberry, orange, and many more. You could make them as sweet as you wanted (which was always WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too sweet), and could mix flavors if you wanted to (I went through a "suicide" phase, where you mix all flavors to get quite an intersting flavor). They were chunkier than the slurpee, and much more chunky than the icee.

I must say Pam, you have inspired me to get a Slurpee, and I am gladly typign away in this Florida heat siping on an ice cold coca cola slurpee. I do enjoy all of the above iced drinks, with the icee being my favorite, something about the airiness of it. The slurpee and icee are close in texture if you ask me, and again, definately more fine-grained than the slush puppy. Iced drinks for everyone!!

"It's all ready already" - Slogan for a not-so popular do-it-yourself-at-home frozen drink mix in the mid nineties, the name escapes me.....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who may have been wondering, I sampled the Crystal Light, no sugar added slush today. Though it wasn't terrible, it was much sweeter than I like.

So I stuck with a Pepsi/Coke combo instead.

Tony, I prefer my slush to be smooth - icy, but not chunky. I think the Slush puppy is too chunky. A slurpee in the US isn't the same as the ones in Canada - they are similar to an Icee south of the border... up here they're not as airy.

And we always called your 'suicide' slush a 'swampwater' slush.

• 1 year later...
I went out for dinner last night and ordered a margarita - but the restaurant's blender was broken.

Must find a frozen beverage today.

Have you ever tried the Bubble Tea at Asia City (Sargent and Young)? Get the fruit-based ones (young coconut is to die for) only, and you can ask for no bubbles if you want. Seriously, if you want a scrumptious frozen drink, you must try one.

Have you ever tried the Bubble Tea at Asia City (Sargent and Young)?  Get the fruit-based ones (young coconut is to die for) only, and you can ask for no bubbles if you want.  Seriously, if you want a scrumptious frozen drink, you must try one.

How did you know I'd be a 'hold the bubbles' person? :laugh:

I haven't - but I'll add it to my list of must-dos. Thanks!

I'm partial to the cherry-lime aide at Sonic. They use that delicious crushed ice and.... YUM! I treated myself to one just the other day and it was delish as always. My mom likes the diet flavor but it just doesn't hold the same punch to me.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I'm partial to the cherry-lime aide at Sonic. They use that delicious crushed ice and.... YUM! I treated myself to one just the other day and it was delish as always. My mom likes the diet flavor but it just doesn't hold the same punch to me.

That's because Diet Sprite totally sucks. It ruins the cherry-limeade love vibe.

Word. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver