• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Magic Bullet

divalasvegas

I have a Cuisinart and it works flawlessly, but it seems that more people on this board prefer the Kitchenaid. There was a thread about food processors earlier this year.

Blender is out for me as well, due to space considerations. I get by with the food processor and a blender stick (now dead, it was a Braun).

Whatever you do, don't be tempted by the little B&D choppers. I have two of those and they are useless.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I think I saw a long thread on this in General food topics.

Thanks Neil,

I'll take another look. Every time I search the word "food processor" or 'blender" get recipe gullet links and a couple of single posts. Maybe I'll look for "magic bullet"

:laugh:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Every time I search the word "food processor" or 'blender"  get recipe gullet links and a couple of single posts.  Maybe I'll look for "magic bullet"

Here's a few threads, the main one is titled "The Food Processor Thread":

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=Se...hlite=processor

Hint for future searches: Go to the Egullet search page, make sure that you select "All Forums," and select "Search title only."

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

They had them on sale at London Drugs last week and they sold a ton, and only a handful got returned.

I would recommend going for kitchen aid or Cuisinart as well, we have appliance from both brands and they work great.

If your limited for space, find items that have alot of attachments, just do you homework online check out the company sites.

Thanks guys,

I found the post and got a hint on how to search more effectively. I'll take a look at immersion blenders since they seem to have chopping attachments which might do me till I have space for a proper food processor.

Looks like KitchenAid, Braun and Cuisinart all Make decent ones.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I have a Magic Bullet! I'm fond of it for certain tasks. It's really perfect for making breakfast smoothies in those little individual mugs. But I wouldn't trade my food processor in for it.

Look on eBay. You might be able to afford a food processor sooner than you think. Also, many manufacturers sell reconditioned or returned appliances on eBay for a song compared to regular retail. Do a search by manufacturer's name or type in "food processor" and see what comes back at you. I have a Sears food processor that I've had for twenty years and it's still working like a charm. I broke the shredder blade and bought a whole 'nother one just like it on eBay for about $10, so now I have an extra set of all the blades, an extra container and an extra base if the motor in my old one ever craps out!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

^ so you do you guys think I can make do with just an immersion blender and some attachments instead of actually buying a full food processor?

By the way, has there ever been a thread about prep/cooking tips for people who have either temporarily or permanently physical limitations?  Standing on my feet for extended periods of time is not an option for me right now.  I'm sure there are others out there who have limited use of their hands, back problems, etc.  I would appreciate your suggestions or directing me to a thread on this subject.  If there hasn't been a thread on this, I'll probably start one soon.

Take care.

eGCI Cooking With Disabilities

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=43239 Part 1

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=43338 Part 2

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=43433 Part 3

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=43240 Q&A

I think I saw a long thread on this in General food topics.

Thanks Neil,

I'll take another look. Every time I search the word "food processor" or 'blender" get recipe gullet links and a couple of single posts. Maybe I'll look for "magic bullet"

:laugh:

When you do a search, don't forget to click on "Search titles only" in "Search Where"

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

Bump!

I am bumping up this thread because I found one at a garage sale today.

divalasvegas Did you ever receive it? What did you think of it?

Mine is actually called "The Miracle Chopper 2000" but in most respects it is identical to the Magic Bullet and may be an earlier incarnation.

Obviously I have had it for only a few hours but so far it does what I want it do - make iced coffee drinks and smoothies. It most definitely cannot produce a perfect brunoise or anything close but neither can either of my food processors! I like it because it is a small blender that is easy to clean and doesn't break my arm when I try to lift it on to the counter. It has lots of bits and pieces that don't seem especially useful and I am glad I got it a bargain price because most of these will never get used. (Although the cups with covers will probably come in handy to store stuff in the 'fridge.)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog