• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Magic Bullet

divalasvegas

Hello All,

I recently purchased a product called "The Magic Bullet." It's a food prep device that promises do EVERYTHING. I know that's a crock. I've seen it on infomercials forever for about $100.00. However, I finally saw it on Home Shopping Network for $60.00 and decided to give it a chance. They have a money back guarantee for the first 30 days you have it. It promises to chop onions, garlic, celery, nuts, etc., grate hard cheeses, grind coffee and spices, whip cream, make smoothies, beat eggs,..................... you get the picture. It also comes with a full size blender and attachments that promise to turn that blender into a juicer (I already own a professional grade juicer). Finally, it comes with several "party" mugs which allows you to blend individual drinks right in each mug, so everybody can get what they want. It didn't say that it would do your laundry, re-grout tile, and walk the dog, but it might as well have. :hmmm:

Look, I don't believe for a minute that it will do all the above, plus a bunch of other stuff I didn't even mention. All I want it to do is spare me a few laborious food prep chores. I love to cook, but I HATE food prep. :angry: I just wanted to get your feedback.

Here's the link to the product for a complete description:

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1909773&sf=

This description is followed by a bunch of reviews. The reviews are all over the place--some give it only a 1 out a possible 5 stars; others rave and give it a 5-star rating. :huh:

Any insight you can provide will be welcome.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My guess is you did the right thing.

Every Las Vegas Diva should have at least one Magic Bullet.

I can see you standing by the bar in your glass bungalow, the desert light streaming in, dressed in a terry towel tutu and making smoothies with your Magic Bullet with Dean Martin on the stereo singing "If You Were The Only Girl In The World".....

Hello All,

I recently purchased a product called "The Magic Bullet."  It's a food prep device that promises do EVERYTHING.  I know that's a crock.  I've seen it on infomercials forever for about $100.00.  However, I finally saw it on Home Shopping Network for $60.00 and decided to give it a chance.  They have a money back guarantee for the first 30 days you have it.  It promises to chop onions, garlic, celery, nuts, etc., grate hard cheeses, grind coffee and spices, whip cream, make smoothies, beat eggs,..................... you get the picture.  It also comes with a full size blender and attachments that promise to turn that blender into a juicer (I already own a professional grade juicer).  Finally, it comes with several "party" mugs which allows you to blend individual drinks right in each mug, so everybody can get what they want.  It didn't say that it would do your laundry, re-grout tile, and walk the dog, but it might as well have. :hmmm:

Look, I don't believe for a minute that it will do all the above, plus a bunch of other stuff I didn't even mention.  All I want it to do is spare me a few laborious food prep chores.  I love to cook, but I HATE food prep. :angry:  I just wanted to get your feedback.

This description is followed by a bunch of reviews.  The reviews are all over the place--some give it only a 1 out a possible 5 stars; others rave and give it a 5-star rating. :huh:

I too have eyed this product as I often stumble across its informecial on the television (does it play 24 hours a day or what?). It has one of the cheesiest informercials that I have ever seen, though I will admit that it is also the only one I've ever seen which had a "plot". To me, it seemed like a typical infomercial product: something that makes an attempt at appealing to time-stretched moms and people who think that having one tool to do everything is the solution to all ones problems.

I will, however, be interested to see how it works. I read the reviews (or some of them) and found them interesting though I'm always suspicious of those things :hmmm: .

Please do report, though, on how you like it.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I can see you standing by the bar in your glass bungalow, the desert light streaming in, dressed in a terry towel tutu and making smoothies with your Magic Bullet with Dean Martin on the stereo singing "If You Were The Only Girl In The World".....

Well, Ducky, hummm, I don't know, but I suspect that we may be referring to two different types of Magic Bullets!!! I could be wrong, though

LOL!!!

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Hello All,

I recently purchased a product called "The Magic Bullet."  It's a food prep device that promises do EVERYTHING.  I know that's a crock.  I've seen it on infomercials forever for about $100.00.  However, I finally saw it on Home Shopping Network for $60.00 and decided to give it a chance.  They have a money back guarantee for the first 30 days you have it.  It promises to chop onions, garlic, celery, nuts, etc., grate hard cheeses, grind coffee and spices, whip cream, make smoothies, beat eggs,..................... you get the picture.  It also comes with a full size blender and attachments that promise to turn that blender into a juicer (I already own a professional grade juicer).  Finally, it comes with several "party" mugs which allows you to blend individual drinks right in each mug, so everybody can get what they want.  It didn't say that it would do your laundry, re-grout tile, and walk the dog, but it might as well have. :hmmm:

Look, I don't believe for a minute that it will do all the above, plus a bunch of other stuff I didn't even mention.  All I want it to do is spare me a few laborious food prep chores.  I love to cook, but I HATE food prep. :angry:   I just wanted to get your feedback.

This description is followed by a bunch of reviews.  The reviews are all over the place--some give it only a 1 out a possible 5 stars; others rave and give it a 5-star rating. :huh:

I too have eyed this product as I often stumble across its informecial on the television (does it play 24 hours a day or what?). It has one of the cheesiest informercials that I have ever seen, though I will admit that it is also the only one I've ever seen which had a "plot". To me, it seemed like a typical infomercial product: something that makes an attempt at appealing to time-stretched moms and people who think that having one tool to do everything is the solution to all ones problems.

I will, however, be interested to see how it works. I read the reviews (or some of them) and found them interesting though I'm always suspicious of those things :hmmm: .

Please do report, though, on how you like it.

I think we have a right to be suspicious, even though I do find infomercials bizarrely entertaining. Although it seems that the reviewers who gave it low marks may not have used it the way it was intended. I mean, let's face it, it's not made by KitchenAid so you probably have use it gingerly. :laugh:

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks.

I've heard that it has some issues with consistency of chop - things near the bottom (near the blade) get pulverized, while things up top barely get touched, of course, this may be from overloading or not shaking or something.

I've also heard you can make butter with it if you load it up with cream and just let it go.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The Magic Bullet. Heh. The thing just looks plain silly. I've seen bits of the informerical and I do admit, as infomercials go, this one is oddly entertaining. I especially liked the hung-over, greasy-spoon waitress type with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

Full disclaimer: I've never used one, eaten anything made by one, or even seen on in person.

But I think a lot of the tasks I've seen it used for on TV are bogus. The one that immediately comes to mind is the omlette. I'm sorry, but having all your omlette ingredients pureed with the egg into some musalagenous goo isn't an omlette.

Might be good for iced drinks... but why not just use a blender.

Well, Ducky, hummm, I don't know, but I suspect that we may be referring to two different types of Magic Bullets!!! I could be wrong, though

LOL!!!

:laugh: The "other" magic bullet is what I thought when I saw the topic name.

:unsure:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

The Magic Bullet is poorly made, plain and simple. I can't ever imagine owning one. Somebody (knowing I'm a chef), figured I would want one as a gift. Great gesture. We looked at it. Laughed for a bit, and gave it away for free to anybody that would take it.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

thank you *ducky* for my new sig line.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

One thing I do find appealing about the idea of the magic bullet is the fact that you can chop a tiny amount, then store the food right in the blending recepticle. Maybe parsley or parmesan. Not worth cluttering my kitchen with yet another appliance though.

The last time I bought something off the TV, it was those 'chef tony' knives. They were really sharp, but oddly dangerous since they're so flimsy and lacking in heft.

The Magic Bullet.  Heh.  The thing just looks plain silly.  I've seen bits of the informerical and I do admit, as infomercials go, this one is oddly entertaining.  I especially liked the hung-over, greasy-spoon waitress type with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

Full disclaimer: I've never used one, eaten anything made by one, or even seen on in person.

But I think a lot of the tasks I've seen it used for on TV are bogus.  The one that immediately comes to mind is the omlette.  I'm sorry, but having all your omlette ingredients pureed with the egg into some musalagenous goo isn't an omlette.

Might be good for iced drinks... but why not just use a blender.

There is no doubt that the omelette making portion of the infomercial is simultaneouly oddly entertaining and gag inducing. The word vomitus comes to mind. :laugh:

But getting back to why I chose to purchase this device, I have read several comments on how prep is part of the cooking experience, go with the Zen of it all, prep isn't that hard, etc.

My main motivation for buying this item is that due to a physical impairment I cannot stand for long periods of time without experiencing a great deal of pain. If this thing saves me a few minutes of chopping, dicing, mincing, etc. without standing, that frees up more time for me to devote to the other aspects of cooking in which I have to stand and that no device can replace such as cutting up whole chickens, stirring sauces or gravies, basting, rolling out cookie dough or meatballs to name a few. I have no illusions about this thing doing every as promised.

Although some here seem to have deemed me the village idiot in making this purchase, let me reassure you that I have indeed purchased several pieces of kitchen equipment that do exactly what they advertise. These include an indoor electric turkey fryer made by Masterbuilt which when I used it this past Thanksgiving and produced what I must humbly say is the best damn turkey I have ever eaten (of course I used my cajun injector kit and cajun seasonings to make sure this was a tasty bird). It can also be used to deep fry other items AND convert to a steamer for crabs and shrimp. My Food Saver Vacuum Sealer has definitely saved me a lot money and freed up space in my fridge. Also, since I have a small, desperately in need of renovation kitchen including one small crappy oven I bought a Rival Oven Roaster (imagine slow smoked BBQ ribs indoors). Setting up and tending to a grill is quite physically impossible for me right now.

It is my goal to get in the kitchen and cook as often as possible. I will try anything that can assist me in reaching that goal since I really do enjoy the tasty and creative process of cooking. Hopefully after I have had surgery for this condition I can truly look forward to the Zen of cooking once again.

My girlfriend and I have watched this infomerical several times through. I'm not sure why; I guess because it's cultish in nature. I love how they have to use pearl onion because they're they only type that will fit. And the nachos look soooooooo gross. I know that whole informercial by heart. Oh the magic bullet, it makes dreams come true.

I have said it before and I cannot say it often enough: Every Las Vegas Diva should have at least one magic bullet.

Do not be discouraged by the nay-saying riff-raff that preys on this thread. These are nothing but misbegotten children.

You are the Diva, after all.

i love this commercial too. wtf? "chocolate mousse" is hersheys' syrup and cream? i love the australian dude too. it's just a great time all around.

hey, it's 1:30 in the morning, i should check and see if it's on right now... :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I have said it before and I cannot say it often enough: Every Las Vegas Diva should have at least one magic bullet.

Do not be discouraged by the nay-saying riff-raff that preys on this thread. These are nothing but misbegotten children.

You are the Diva, after all.

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa. Thanks for the support, Ducky. I guess I will never understand the mentality of "if I see no value in a product, device, etc. I won't buy it and I can't understand why everybody doesn't think EXACTLY the way I do." Anyway, said "Magic Bullet" has not yet arrived. I'll let you know how it "performs" after I've had a chance to test drive the darn thing.

Heh heh

I've heard that it has some issues with consistency of chop - things near the bottom (near the blade) get pulverized, while things up top barely get touched, of course, this may be from overloading or not shaking or something.

Not sure, but I think it was an infomercial for this product that showed how quickly it can chop veggies - veggies go in, whiz, dumped out. But if you pay a bit of attention to what was dumped (think it was onion), the pieces were wildly inconsistent in size. Maybe if you were hypnotized by the hype, you wouldn't notice.

This infomercial is fantastic. The English guy is just classic (people with English accents are either evil genius villains, or just plain geniuses, as we all know...) The general cleavage is awesome. The lady with the cigarette is hillarious -- I guess she's the character that is supposed to show us that even the lowest common denominator would love this product.

The Infomercial is like the professional wrestling of cooking shows.

I'd like to see an informercial on an ordinary household item, like a chef's knife: "You can chop, you can slice, you can dice -- you can even peal a clove of garlic in 1/2 a nanosecond! (*bam*) AND, you can move your brunoise from the chopping board to the pan JUST like THAT!" ... But WAIT, there's MORE! ...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! So glad there's a thread about this infomercial. A bit of it was on this morning as I was getting ready for work, and it made me laugh myself silly. I love the part where they're juicing the fruits and veggies, and the guy directly in front of the blender says, "Harumph! I hate broccoli!" And then they give him a sip of the drink, which probably tastes like dirt, and he's instantly converted to liking things that are healthy for him! Hooray! If only real life were like this!

Really, though, I'm dying to see how the vegas diva likes the product.

Oh, and I cannot believe it when the host of the program likens putting a little liqueur in your sorbet to being a "party animal." What planet are infomercial actors from, anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I guess there are a lotta folks out there that fall asleep watching the Food Network & wake up to this insanity! :biggrin:

Wow! So glad there's a thread about this infomercial. A bit of it was on this morning as I was getting ready for work, and it made me laugh myself silly. I love the part where they're juicing the fruits and veggies, and the guy directly in front of the blender says, "Harumph! I hate broccoli!" And then they give him a sip of the drink, which probably tastes like dirt, and he's instantly converted to liking things that are healthy for him! Hooray! If only real life were like this!

Can't help but think of Veggie Boy juice that Woody was hawking on "Cheers" - "You can really taste the Kale!"

Oh, and I cannot believe it when the host of the program likens putting a little liqueur in your sorbet to being a "party animal." What planet are infomercial actors from, anyway?

"Middle America" I guess, anywhere else where alcohol is wicked, a tablespoon of liquer in your dessert will make you a wino, and the general population basically turns into such sweet-tooths that they are driven to believe Hershey's & Cream=chocolate mousse :blink:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Hey I guess there are a lotta folks out there that fall asleep watching the Food Network & wake up to this insanity!  :biggrin:

Can't help but think of Veggie Boy juice that Woody was hawking on "Cheers" - "You can really taste the Kale!"

"Middle America" I guess, anywhere else where alcohol is wicked, a tablespoon of liquer in your dessert will make you a wino, and the general population basically turns into such sweet-tooths that they are driven to believe Hershey's & Cream=chocolate mousse :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have to admit, I was intrigued by the absolutely looney quality of this infomercial and actually find it weirdly entertaining. The cast of characters are pretty well thought out stereotypes. Unfortunately, due to a minor health crisis, working late nights, and just being plain exhausted, I haven't even used the darn thing yet. As I said earlier in this thread, my main reason for purchasing this product was that I can't stand too long without discomfort right now and I wanted something small as well as [allegedly] quick and easy to use and clean up. I promise to report back on the results which will probably be as amusing and bizarre as the infomercial itself. :rolleyes:

By the way, has there ever been a thread about prep/cooking tips for people who have either temporarily or permanently physical limitations? Standing on my feet for extended periods of time is not an option for me right now. I'm sure there are others out there who have limited use of their hands, back problems, etc. I would appreciate your suggestions or directing me to a thread on this subject. If there hasn't been a thread on this, I'll probably start one soon.

Take care.

• 5 months later...

[i did a quick search and didn't find much on this product or similar but please post links to other threads if my searching skills are lacking]

I saw a box (as seen on TV!) at London Drugs today and realized that I don't have a blender or food processor. My question is. For someone who is pretty limited on space, what do you eGulleters recommend or personally have good experiences with in terms of a blender/food processor.

I really don't have the space for a seperate blender, hand blender and food processor. In fact if my class with the NorthWest Culinary Academy works its magic I'll probably take up even more counter with a pasta roller and food mill :raz:

Does this mean I need a bigger kitchen? :huh:

Moderator's note: This topic has been merged with the previous one.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello