• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sriracha

Chris Amirault

Not sure if it's been mentioned above, but despite the name, this stuff is virtually unknown in Thailand.  I don't think I've ever seen it here in six years...  There is a popular chicken dipping sauce, but it's much lighter and sweeter than the Sriratcha available in the US.

I've never seen it in the Thai restaurants around here, but it is one of four staple condiments (with salt, white pepper, and hoisin) at every Vietnamese and pan-South-Asian restaurant in town.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

In the summer, there's nothing better than an ear of corn smeared with sriracha and a spritz of lime juice!

Please. We are what seems like an age away from fresh sweet corn (early August). I've been craving it lately anyway, and this idea is going to make me a crazy woman.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

For those of us uninitiated, please post a photo of the bottle so we can ensure we are getting the right one (no immitations seems the rule from above). I wonder if it is as good as or better than El Pato Tapatio Sauce which is something similar but from Mexico as opposed to Asia (Thailand?).

For those of us uninitiated, please post a photo of the bottle so we can ensure we are getting the right one (no immitations seems the rule from above).  I wonder if it is as good as or better than El Pato Tapatio Sauce which is something similar but from Mexico as opposed to Asia (Thailand?).

Here's a link to the website of Huy Fong Foods, which makes the rooster-logo sriracha sauce (the real thing -- many imitators out there)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

For those of us uninitiated, please post a photo of the bottle so we can ensure we are getting the right one (no immitations seems the rule from above).   I wonder if it is as good as or better than El Pato Tapatio Sauce which is something similar but from Mexico as opposed to Asia (Thailand?).

I don't think of sriracha as even related to Tapatio, Tabasco, Crystal or any other vinegar based sauces. It is its own thing. I like Tapatio and Tabasco and others in different ways. I think of sriracha as kind of analagous to Pickapeppa. It is that different.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For those of us uninitiated, please post a photo of the bottle so we can ensure we are getting the right one (no immitations seems the rule from above).  I wonder if it is as good as or better than El Pato Tapatio Sauce which is something similar but from Mexico as opposed to Asia (Thailand?).

Here's a link to the website of Huy Fong Foods, which makes the rooster-logo sriracha sauce (the real thing -- many imitators out there)

In addition to "Rooster" Sriracha by Huy Fong, there's another Sriracha that is almost as prevalent, which is the "Gull" Sriracha sauce that comes from Vietnam, and comes in a nearly identical bottle, except that instead of a rooster on it, it has a flying gull.

I've also seen claims of an "authentic" Sriracha that comes from Thailand:

http://importfood.com/sash1001.html

And I've also seen the "Suree" brand that comes from the philipines

http://www.goldencountry.com/GoldenOcean/i...Philippines.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

really great mixed with saba for a sauce for confit of duck or chicken.

if not familiar with saba its the reduced grape juice that makes balsalmiv vinegar. try it!

AT LAST, a use for the bottle of saba which is sitting in my cupboard!

How about a saba thread?

terry

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

I wonder at the real origin of Sriracha. I think of it as Vietnamese, not Thai. Huy Fong, on their website, claims that their Vietnamese founder invented Sriracha.

I saw the other hot sauce that claimed to be authetic Thai Sriracha, but I'm wondering if the name is just Huy Fong's way of marketing the hot sauce since it supposedly uses Thai chilies, and otherwise has nothing to do with Thailand at all. Hmmm...

Edited by Hest88 (log)

I wonder at the real origin of Sriracha. I think of it as Vietnamese, not Thai. Huy Fong, on their website, claims that their Vietnamese founder invented Sriracha.

I saw the other hot sauce that claimed to be authetic Thai Sriracha, but I'm wondering if the name is just Huy Fong's way of marketing the hot sauce since it supposedly uses Thai chilies, and otherwise has nothing to do with Thailand at all. Hmmm...

Part of me wants to say "authentic, shmentic," because let's not forget that the chili pepper originates from the Americas.

Whether a sauce is in customary current use somewhere may be more at issue than whether it's "authentic" to the region.

Sorry for nitpicking. :biggrin:

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Eh, it might be possible that I've lost some heat receptors for good due to a little too much Dave's Insanity and Blair's After Death here and there, but hey, Alton says they grow back, so who knows.

Your Sriracha May Be Counterfeit

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

between this thread and the tater tot thread, i had to go satiate my cravings and have some tater tots with sriracha.  :rolleyes:

You, too, huh? I am literally salivating. I have plenty sriracha. But I am out of tots. Off to the store.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Was super blasted last night, after watching like 2 DVDs in a row... Harold & Kumar followed by Dodgeball. Found cold pizza in fridge, left under salamander to heat up, and drizzled with the S sauce.

I'm a convert. Why has it taken so long? Why?

Indeed, why?

Why?

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Over in the Texas forum we are discussing using the sweet 1015 onions. This idea came to mind. I can't wait to try it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Hmm. Hmmmmm. Hmm..........

I posted in Adventures in Eating that I'm thinking of trying a sausage with Cocoa as one of the main spices.

I'm having a unique thought process of cocoa, sriracha, crystallized ginger...

I'm going to have to do some cooking tonight! Woohoo!!!!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Okay, when I first saw this thread I wondered what the hell is sriracha? Finally I took a look and see it is a hot sauce. Well, I use to be a total hot sauce wimp and now over the years I've graduated to enjoying it in moderation. Actually my moderation is probably you hot sauce fanatics version of a teetotaler but.... I'm still not a fan of Tabasco. I prefer Crystal hot sauce though haven't seen that one mentioned.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so yesterday I did by a bottle of this Sriracha. Not knowing what brand to get I got one called "Tuong Ot Sriracha", "Uncle Chen". I will give it a go on a few things this weekend. Anyone know about this particular brand, and what things to try it on for a hot sauce wimp working his way up.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

According to the Sriracha fans it is apparently good on just about everything ;). I'm not familiar with the Tuong Ot brand, Huy Fong is the original, and the most widely distributed.

In all fairness though, I did dig my bottle of it out of the back of the fridge and tried it on some stuff, it was better than I remembered, but I do still prefer the straight chili garlic sauce (just wish it wasn't so darn salty).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

According to the Sriracha fans it is apparently good on just about everything ;).  I'm not familiar with the Tuong Ot brand, Huy Fong is the original, and the most widely distributed.

I think these two are one and the same--this stuff:

gallery_20347_1176_51992.jpg

If you look at your jar of Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, you will find the Vietnamese legend "Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam" (accents omitted) over the rooster, so I'm guessing that "Tuong Ot" is Vietnamese for "chili sauce" or something like that.

In all fairness though, I did dig my bottle of it out of the back of the fridge and tried it on some stuff, it was better than I remembered, but I do still prefer the straight chili garlic sauce (just wish it wasn't so darn salty).

The chili garlic sauce is good, too, but I think the sriracha sauce is a bit more versatile.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Sriracha is a city in Chonburi province of Thailand. Sriracha was invented in Sriracha, they have made this sauce for generations. It's not a Vietnamese sauce, in Vietnam they do not have a city named Sriracha. Huy Fong company invented a sauce not long ago that many people like, it was invented in California using chile peppers grown in California, and nobody can deny they did a great job because it's a big seller; however just because they decided to name it Sriracha sauce doesn't mean they invented the sauce. Thai sriracha sauce is hot but also a bit sweet. The taste of Huy Fong sriracha is not like Thai sriracha as there is no sweetness to Huy Fong, and Huy Fong peppers taste a lot stronger (different cultivar of chile pepper). The difference in taste is quite pronounced. I spend a lot of time in Thailand and have tasted many brands of Sriracha, and I am not at all trying to spam this board however here is more information I put together on the subject.

http://importfood.com/sriracha_sauce.html