• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sriracha

Chris Amirault

I put it on Indian and Thai delivery that is not up to par. Asian soups benefit from it.

I always add a shot to my stirfries.

It's great for dipping roasted sweet potato fries.

I second Lilija, anywhere you would use ketchup. Ooh now that I've wrote that I think it would be insanely good on meatloaf and corned beef.

-Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

It is used on family meals every where, cooks, bartenders and waiters slather it on everything, due to the rooster on the front it's called "cock sauce."

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

It is very addictive. Just looking at this thread is making my mouth literally water.

The other day I put some on some leftover tuna-noodle casserole (hey, I was satisfying a comfort food need), and I kept adding more and more until I realized that I was consuming about 80% sriracha and 20% casserole in every bite. Finally I just skipped the casserole altogether and went for straight sriracha. Pure heaven.

Edited by kbjesq (log)

Let me add: Today, I was nibbling on toast and jam, while my housemate had an omelet. There was a bottle of the good stuff on the table, and I was musing how there's nothing it wouldn't improve. He laughed and dared me to squeeze it on my toast along with the cherry jam. I did, and ate it, then I doctored the other piece. Now, I'm plotting a way to utilize cherries, sriracha, and maybe some ginger in a glaze, or sauce. My first thought was a simple pan sauce for some pork chops.

Am I the only one who likes to mix sriracha with ketchup? You know.... for the fries?

I was at Baker's Square last night with the kids for dinner. I had a Reuben and fries. I was wishing for some Sriracha to add to the Heinz.

Necessary for scrambled eggs a la hangover.

1. Have a good time the night before (maybe too good a time :wacko: )

2. Fry some leftover rice in sesame or peanut oil til it gets crispy.

3. Scramble eggs. Feel free to add a heavy-handed dash of fish sauce.

4. Move rice to the side. Add eggs to pan with a bit more oil, combine rice back in as eggs cook.

5. Plate and address with the green-topped bottle. The hotter you make it, the longer you'll forget about the other pain you're in.

6. Take a nap.

Sriracha was hit with Australians a few years ago as well as similar sauces from SE Asia but as fresh chillies of all sorts and shapes became more available year round and the Asian community has grown out of it preferring chopped fresh chillies on their lunch time sandwiches for instance.

When I first spotted this tread I passed over - hadn't a clue as to what it was about...until I saw it was the 'rooster' hot sauce from Huy Fong.

Ohhh, now I see! Count me in the 'I love it" camp. Mostly I use it to jazz up my mayo or scrambled eggs or fried rice. Today's lunch was a salad based on leftover-rice and salmon. The sriracha added a nice heat to the dressing.

It finds away into all sorts of things in my kitchen.

(edit to fix typo)

Edited by run2eat (log)

I read this thread yesterday, and realized 2 things"

1. I've been mispelling Sriracha forever.

2. Homemade mac & cheese + Sriracha. Why did I not try this before now? Wow. I weep to think of how many pans of mac & cheese I've consumed at an uneccassarily lower level of deliciousness.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Been on kind of a bender with this stuff lately...... latest favorite application is frying up some of those oval hasbrown patties like you get at McDonald's, then cover the top with a verrryy thick layer of Sriracha and top the whole thing with a really soft scrambled egg and some chives. Simple and heavenly....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Grilled cheese sandwiches.  ....

In this same vein, quesadillas. Quesa-freakin-dillas. OMG..........either inside with the melty-ooozy cheese, or dribbled and then smeared on top. Oh yeah.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 month later...

Another fan of Sriracha on pizza, but you have to add diced raw onions as well. Something about the texture and bite that raw onion adds brings out the flavor in the sauce.

I agree that it's not that hot, a bit sweet, but I'm not trying to impress anyone by melting my face off at every chance. I likes what I likes, when I likes it.

It's also good on tuna salad sandwiches, and if you want more heat in a Bloody Mary, nix the tobasco and add Sriracha.

I'd always assumed the stuff was Vietnamese because it's on the tables at the Vietnamese restaurants I go to in Toronto. Now I know better.

I didn't know about the many varieties of sriracha: garlic, onion, galangal, lemon grass and ginger. Wow.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

OK, stupid question, does it require refrigeration?  I've become addicted to the stuff.

Technically no, but I keep it in the fridge by personal preference. It sits out on tables all day long at pho houses.