• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 James Beard Award Nominees

bilrus

Did anyone happen to notice that ALL of the new restaurants nominees are from New York and that four of the five nominated for chef of the year are from New York?

Hmm.....where is the Beard Society located?

Congratulations to Fabio for three years in a row of nominations; this year his most interesting competitor is from Philadelphia- who has Vetri. Also, applause for recognizing the Bread Line's Furstenburg and Kinkead's sommelier for the only national award.

Interesting that Vegas was almost completely shut out, too!

Edited by Joe H (log)

I believe that the five nominees for this award really settle on these two. I could be wrong but they are actually somewhat similar in style. Has anyone been to BOTH restaurants that might have an opinion? I know that Vetri only has 35 seats and is "creative Italian" as is Maestro. Also, similar to Maestro, there are two prix fixe dinners with the average check for two around $300 +. I have NOT been to Vetri but am curious if anyone on this board has and their opinion?

Thank you.

Although I have not dined at either of these restaurants, to make the discussion fair I think that the other three choices, all in DC, should be included. I realize that they may not all be in the same price range or class but that does not mean that their food is not worthy of this discussion.

As for my two cents, both Palena and Breadline have items on their menu that I consider works of art. I am counting the days until the return of Chef Ruta's tomato soup.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I believe that the five nominees for this award really settle on these two.  I could be wrong but they are actually somewhat similar in style.  Has anyone been to BOTH restaurants that might have an opinion?  I know that Vetri only has 35 seats and is "creative Italian" as is Maestro.  Also, similar to Maestro, there are two prix fixe dinners with the average check for two around $300 +.    I have NOT been to Vetri but am curious if anyone on this board has and their opinion?

Thank you.

I had dinner at Vetri in December, and it's nothing like Maestro. It's more like a country-rustic Obelisk in style, size and pricing, and features less innovative, more filling, perhaps even (forgive me) heavyhanded cuisine that satisfies more than it dazzles. Marc Vetri is a wonderful, charming chef-host who made several appearances in the dining room, coming out to slice meats on his antique slicer (and Joe, you would appreciate this thing, given your regaling stories about your ice-cream maker), and at the end of the evening, proving himself as an engaging, interesting conversationalist. I had a wonderful meal at Vetri, and it's neither as ambitious nor as impressive as Maestro, but I assure you that this is a stylistic statement and not a value judgment.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I believe that the five nominees for this award really settle on these two.  I could be wrong but they are actually somewhat similar in style.  Has anyone been to BOTH restaurants that might have an opinion?  I know that Vetri only has 35 seats and is "creative Italian" as is Maestro.  Also, similar to Maestro, there are two prix fixe dinners with the average check for two around $300 +.    I have NOT been to Vetri but am curious if anyone on this board has and their opinion?

Thank you.

I had dinner at Vetri in December, and it's nothing like Maestro. It's more like a country-rustic Obelisk in style, size and pricing, and features less innovative, more filling, perhaps even (forgive me) heavyhanded cuisine that satisfies more than it dazzles. Marc Vetri is a wonderful, charming chef-host who made several appearances in the dining room, coming out to slice meats on his antique slicer (and Joe, you would appreciate this thing, given your regaling stories about your ice-cream maker), and at the end of the evening, proving himself as an engaging, interesting conversationalist. I had a wonderful meal at Vetri, and it's neither as ambitious nor as impressive as Maestro, but I assure you that this is a stylistic statement and not a value judgment.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Really interesting, Don. I hope enough New Yorkers venture to Tysons to sample Fabio that he can be fairly judged this time (my opinion and editorial comment form the two previous attempts). Thanks.