• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Chef, in Lodi (inside Intl. Food Warehouse)

chefdavidrusso

A few more pics from the Indian Chef Photo Album

gallery_2_1200_13802.jpg

Gulab Jamun (Dessert Item)

gallery_2_1200_67890.jpg

Vegetable Pakora

gallery_2_1200_319502.jpg

Samosa

gallery_2_1200_39673.jpg

Mango Lassi

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BTW, "Tandoori Chef", the larger, full service sister restaurant to Indian Chef, is tentatively opening next weekend in Hackensack, in the old Dragonel and Dhaaba space. The owners are awaiting their CO from Hackensack before they can open, so stay tuned for details.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I went to this place for dinner a second time Saturday evening. This place rocks. I got a lamb/chicken combo, a chicken samosa, and a mango lasai. The food is delicious, although I could stand a little more spice. It's still outstanding. It came out to about $13 for everything and it was a great meal. There were several other people dining there as well. This is a great, original place. Check it out!

BTW, Rachel and/or Jason, were you here Saturday evening around 5 pm? Was I dining with royalty and not realizing it? :shock:

We did eat there on Saturday night, but we didn't arrive until just after 7 PM.

Yeah, after thinking about it, my time was off. I was there from around 6:30 to 7 or maybe a few minutes past. I thought I recognized you both from the pictures on the site, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to make a fool out of myself. So here's a belated "Hi!" and thanks for running a great site.

This place rocks. I got a lamb/chicken combo, a chicken samosa, and a mango lasai. The food is delicious, although I could stand a little more spice. It's still outstanding.

I'm a HUGE spicehound, but for some reason with THIS particular place I disagree. It may be the items I usually eat there (mostly Tandoori chicken items and the Dosas), but I like the "fresh" taste these folks manage to attain. The Kasturi Tikka is the best example of this. It's an herbal kind of spicing, but totally absent of any "kick". But it doesn't need it.

I would argue that the lamb needs to be better spiced though. It needs it more than the chicken--even moreso because the chicken is so perfectly cooked here.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Were those the Perlows eating at Indian Chef last night?

Nope. We were at some mediocre red sauce Italian restaurant in Morristown.